#0000 steelwool for cleaning

Started by Jaanman, February 24, 2013, 09:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaanman

Does anyone use #0000 steelwool to clean the side rings, frame post and spool on Penn's 113h . Just bought a couple reels and they need a little cleaning ..nothing severe though . (chrome)
I apologize if this has been ask before.........
Larry

RowdyW

Works for me. I've been using it for years on chrome. It will not scratch chrome because chrome is harder than mild steel.     Rudy

Cone

I know that steel wool rusts. I know pieces can embed themselves and when they rust it makes a mess. Don't ask me how I know.  :( Brass or ss wool if you can find it is much safer. A scotchbrite pad is also another option. JMO Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 25, 2013, 06:39:55 AM
I just use CLR and a tooth brush.
Hey Bryan, I think toothpaste would taste better.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: RowdyW on February 25, 2013, 07:18:00 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on February 25, 2013, 06:39:55 AM
I just use CLR and a tooth brush.
Hey Bryan, I think toothpaste would taste better.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hahahahahaha !!!!    ;D

I use the nylon scrubby pads also (Scotchbrite style)...
Works great for me..... 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Cone on February 25, 2013, 04:12:23 AM
I know that steel wool rusts. I know pieces can embed themselves and when they rust it makes a mess. Don't ask me how I know.  :( Brass or ss wool if you can find it is much safer. A scotchbrite pad is also another option. JMO Bob

X2,Very true,it can leave you with a rusty reel.

Joel.B

I use bronze wool- wont scratch gun finishes yet removes rust pretty good (as well as old copper pennies) does not leave nasty dust that can rust and hurt bearings and such.......