A Perfect Fishing Reel????

Started by Jeri, June 09, 2013, 09:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Hi All,

A thought that occurs to me, through reading a lot of the discussions on this group, is that we are actually not very satisfied with what the various manufacturers are producing. Small or large changes to various models, modern and old to bring them to an acceptable standard of performance.

So, is it possible to design a fishing reel, of which the design is so perfect that we might only need to proportionally increase the size to adjust line capacity, but that the primary design is near perfect for everyone in all the various disciplines that fish on this group?????

A few of my own thoughts:

Would it be possible to make a frame of machined stainless steel, obviously much thinner than current aluminium frames – to overcome perennial corrosion problems? The frame design would only need a top cut out for line movement and thumb control.

I would deliberately go for a lever drag design, rather than star drag, as they have inherent repeatability on drag settings, and mechanical simplicity. Probably with a 'polarity' magnetic cast control system, rather than a 'proximity' system.

I would use one of the more advance lever drag designs, perhaps like Release reels, though I might add a mechanical anti-reverse, perhaps like the very simple design out of an Avet LX.

Drag rating would be something like the SG Release at 30lbs for a small reel, as with the advent of braided lines, folks are filling small reels with very strong lines, and this has perhaps been the downfall of models like SX Avets.

All the obvious 'goodies', like ceramic hybrid bearings on the spool, and high quality stainless steel bearings elsewhere – with an investigation in issues like dry lubricants inside the bearings to resolve maintenance issues.

Just a few thoughts on coming towards a 'perfect' fishing reel.

Cheer from sunny Africa

Jeri

Alto Mare

Hello Jeri,
It would be nice, but not for everyone.....
A reel like you've described would never happen, just think about it.
Manufacturers would knock themselves out of business.
I'm going to mention the Jigmaster or the Senator 113H, sorry I don't know if you're familiar with those.
The upgrades on those are endless, they generate way more money than what the manufacturers make for the reel itself.
The only chance of seeing something like you've described, would be from someone doing it on the side, but how many could he make? :-\

I don't believe manufacturers are that excited about coming out with a reel that would last forever....
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jeri

Hi Sal,

Point taken, but we through all the various aspects of our sport seem to struggle with the current designs - sure the Jigmaster and like are fairly robust, but need some serious work to get them perfect. Even most of our surf reels need up grades to make them passable for upper level sport.

So, why wouldn't some 'brave' manufacturer like to try to make the reel that didn't need 'upgrades'?

This was more an inquiry into the hypothetical, something to stir the brain cells, rather than an actual project.

Bet that at the end of this thread, we would see a huge diversity of 'perfect', that would basically answer the question - it is not possible to satisfy everyone.

Cheers

Jeri

Alto Mare

I agree with you Jeri, I'm also interested to hear what others have to say. I was just blowing some air on your camp fire, I'm sure it will rage out of controll ;D ;D
All the best from sunny Pennsylvania.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

A Ti reel would be ideal. Aaron is working on a star and lever Ti reel. No rust, lighter than stainless. I hope he makes 2 prototypes so I can have one of each. Lol
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

Even if a perfect reel were ever made, there would be some one who wouldn't be satisfied. If it held x number of yards of x lb line some one would want y yards. If it had a great drag some one would want more. People would want different gear ratio's etc to suit the fishing they do. I think people will always try to change things and make them suit their needs. Then again, there is improvement needed in many reels. Materials used and design wise. JMO  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

saltydog

I personally don't think there is a perfect reel. And if there was the manufacturers would make it to where it would break so you have to buy another. They are in it to sell you those reels by the way.

I personally like Penn and the ABU's but buy old ones because the new ones are made of plastic and break a lot. You call ABU and tell them you need a part and the reel is discontinued only after a year or so and you get the answer we will give you 47% off one of our new models. Well there I go on a rant about the new stuff, sorry.

A perfect reel would be a Ti 113H or a 6000 ABU but I bet the cost would be enormous, and for most it would be out of there financial range.

I will just stick with the old ,hoard parts and pass them down to my girls.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

Mandelstam

I kinda like the upgrading we're doing right now to stock reels. Buying imperfect reels mean that they're, for the most time, affordable. Then you just add what you want or need to suit your fishing. In that regard I have to say that, for instance, the Penn 113h with all it's add ons is a perfect reel.

As I'm a Swede I'm partial to ABU, I grew up with them basically. And a 60's or 70's Ambassadeur doesn't need much upgrading, maybe some new drag washers and that's it. To me that's as close to a perfect stock reel you can get. ;D

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

saltydog

Spinners in titanium would be nice but so would the tag on them. I am with Karl on this one, affordable is my middle name. You don't need a $1000 reel to put meat in the box. And I have caught a lot of big fish on ABU's.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Ron Jones

I understand the concept, and if a marketer ever finds a cross section of customers large enough that agree with what perfect is I'm sure the attempt will be made.

Personally, I like the personality of rehabbed reels and the economy. I can build a Senator to exactly the level of performance that I need, spend less money and have something unique that I am intimately familiar with. I also find the maintenance therapeutic. Sort of like a fine walnut and blued steel rifle, more maintenance rut real.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

borchcl

The perfect reel may be the one you are holding with the drag screaming. It rarely get better than that. :) 

BMITCH

Quote from: Bucktail on June 09, 2013, 06:25:21 PM
How about a titanium spinner?  http://fortitudefishing.com/reels.pdf
Bucktail, that reel looks like a piece of art work. Have you actually seen and touched one?
luck is the residue of design.

Mandelstam

Quote from: BMITCH on June 16, 2013, 08:45:51 PM
Quote from: Bucktail on June 09, 2013, 06:25:21 PM
How about a titanium spinner?  http://fortitudefishing.com/reels.pdf
Bucktail, that reel looks like a piece of art work. Have you actually seen and touched one?

That reel seems to be a mistery, because all images of the reel on their website are just computer rendered 3d-images, not real photos. Would love to see real photos of it (if it exists at all...).
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Bucktail

^^ What he said. ^^  Just an internet rumor right now.  If it's real, maybe they will unveil it at ICAST next month.
Just a jig-a-lo