Abu Record No. 60

Started by jfred36, June 16, 2013, 05:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfred36

Hello! First Post. Have found some very useful information and am hoping someone can tell me if they have a similar issue with an Abu Record 60.

While doing routine maintenance and lubing he reel I noticed that the handle assembly...moves a bit from side to side. Is this normal?

I am currently awaiting some bearings from Boca to tune the reel up a bit and would like to make any other repairs I may need when I have the reel open.

Thanks!

alantani

i'm sure the drive shaft could stand to be shimmed up a little.  not sure it makes alot of difference.  the hard part is finding washers to do the job.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Are you meaning that when assembled and ready to go, you can force a bit of play outward from the sideplate when you pull outward with the handle/star?  It seems that all current production C3, C4's and Records do that.  My older C's do not.   Just made with poorer tolerances.

Reinaard van der Vossen

I'm not sure about this so you should check. I think I have the same reel but then a 61 which is the lefty version. I remember that there was something about the shaft configuration and that it is a kinda floating shaft where little screwed cup on the shaft is actually an adjustment screw. I lost this cup once and the reel became almost instantaneous very difficult to cast. The axis with spool cold move from left to right more than it should.

If I remember correctly there is also and odd one way (antireverse) bearing inside the spool.

The handle assembly should not move from left to right as far as I recall

Ken_D

Quote from: jfred36 on June 16, 2013, 05:09:29 PM
Hello! First Post. Have found some very useful information and am hoping someone can tell me if they have a similar issue with an Abu Record 60.

While doing routine maintenance and lubing he reel I noticed that the handle assembly...moves a bit from side to side. Is this normal?

I am currently awaiting some bearings from Boca to tune the reel up a bit and would like to make any other repairs I may need when I have the reel open.

Thanks!

Good day... Are you meaning when you hold the reel and spool steady, and gently crank the reel, then gently attempt to turn the handle the other way, and noting a slight shifting of the handle on the post?

Remove the handle nut and keeper to observe the handle mating on the driveshaft, and do the gentle handle thing in both cirections again. Note the amount of handle clearance (in the hole) with the shaft.
Turn the star _below_ that shelf (shoulder) cut on the driveshaft.

Re-install handle, nut and keeper, snugging the nut reasonably tight to suck the crank on the shelf.  If the hole in the handle was not worn too much, you should be OK. If the handle still moves, you'll need a new one, unless you can live with the motion.

Snagged2

The Record 60 I'm sure is built to the correct tolerances!! ;D  The ones I've been into seem very nice!

You will want to look under the handle nut, and check that the small e-clip is in place..(part # 4490) if it's not there,, then the side to side play will be excessive,, there should be a small amount of lateral play which is normal. The normal play can very slightly from one reel to the next.

There should be little to zero play while cranking the handle gently backward,, IAR bearing/sleeve, and gearshaft relationship/condition.
or as KenD mentioned, to check the play between the handle mounting slot to the brass gearshaft! Should be a good fit there.