Penn Long Beach 66 - Need left side plate.

Started by bajaandy, August 09, 2013, 03:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I have a brass main gear if you want it. Unfortunately I hold on to steel 66 mains like they are made out of gold.

George,
I built a slow 66 with a 113 bridge and pinion. Didn't have to dremel anything and it works fine. I am thinking that the slow Senators were ment to be torque monsters and the H the screamers with the Long Beach in the middle. I really don't see the point in the slow reel unless it is for some specific presentation.

Does the 60 and 66 mains have the same number of teeth?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 14, 2013, 03:02:23 AM
You're right Rudy, but I rather have Bryan's kit, its much easier.
Bryan, why wouldn't they want some? The Squidder is the same as the Jigmaster, just a little slower.
The main gear might be stronger on the squidder, due to beefier teeth .
Increasing the drags a bit would make the reel much smoother at its original max drags.
That goes for most reels. I've found that out from some of the tests that I've been doing.
Sal
Sal, because it'll be a $2k investment for me to make, and if I cannot break even quickly, ill be in trouble financially.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

Quote from: noyb72 on August 14, 2013, 03:49:24 AM
Ron

I don't recall, but I'm sure the gear teeth are different sizes and won't properly mesh with the pinion.  Sooo, Andy's reel must have a different pinion, too.
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

The 66 has a 113 yoke. I don't think the pinion in the 60 would fit that (it's a 140 I think).

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bajaandy

Quote from: noyb72 on August 14, 2013, 03:49:24 AM

I can tell you that this reel has a 40 tooth main and a 17 tooth pinion. Don't know if that helps or not.

And by the way, thanks you guys for all the input. I really appreciate it. This old reel has been sitting in storage for years. It's only because I recently decided to jump in and do some 113H and 114 mods that I even decided to get it out and look at it. Like I said, sentimental value.
I tink, therefore I am.

Ron Jones

So,
I don't know what you want to do with this reel, but it can actually have a bunch of money thrown at it. It is from the factory a slow YTS with not the strongest stand and an open top. The thing is, I'm starting to think that the 66 stand was the most popular of all Penn stands. Their are a bunch of reels with them and so their are quite a few Newell stands out their also that will make the reel much stronger. I'm not sure if any Newell bars will fit (although I kind of hope they will) but the stand will greatly increase the strength of the reel.

The reel uses a Jigmaster sleeve that Alan and others sell out of stainless steel, and Alan has a fantastic arm for it, it would be relatively straight forward to double dog and we've already talked about the drags. The only thing I'm not sure of is the strength of the "sleeved" spools.

The cool thing about that is that the Jigmaster sleeve and Alan's arm are cheaper than the 113H parts, cheap enough to at least buy your drags.

So this reel can be built to handle 20 pounds of drag and fish 60-80 pound line. It casts nice because of the open top, you don't have to mess with bearings and it cranks like a winch in low gear. To me, it is the recipe for pitching into rocks where you might get something big and slow.

Like I said, I don't know anyone who has done it, but I think it would make a great reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

RowdyW

Quote from: noyb72 on August 14, 2013, 04:01:46 AM
The 66 has a 113 yoke. I don't think the pinion in the 60 would fit that (it's a 140 I think).

Ron
The 66 has a 12-60 yoke & the 113 has a 12-113 yoke.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
"

RowdyW

Quote from: George4741 on August 14, 2013, 03:36:09 AM

Rudy,
With all of your gear swapping and extra parts, did you ever try to fit a 113 bridge and pinion gear in a 66? 

George
Hi George, I haven't tried that swap because we are always trying to up the retrieve rate. If I want a slower rate I'll just pick up a stock ratio 113 & I'll be using a stronger reel. Almost all my 113 narrow, standard, & wide 113's are regeared to the higher ratio. I leave my LB reels at the stock ratio.    Rudy       ps I sure do have a lot of 113 pinions laying around.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: bajaandy on August 14, 2013, 03:43:02 AM
I just wanna get her back to working order to land a fish and then pass it on to my son Ben so he can keep the legacy alive.
My kind of guy ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on August 14, 2013, 03:14:40 AM
Hi Sal, easier might or might not be better but how else are we going to have fun experimenting?  ;D  Rudy
;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 14, 2013, 03:55:47 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on August 14, 2013, 03:02:23 AM
You're right Rudy, but I rather have Bryan's kit, its much easier.
Bryan, why wouldn't they want some? The Squidder is the same as the Jigmaster, just a little slower.
The main gear might be stronger on the squidder, due to beefier teeth .
Increasing the drags a bit would make the reel much smoother at its original max drags.
That goes for most reels. I've found that out from some of the tests that I've been doing.
Sal
Sal, because it'll be a $2k investment for me to make, and if I cannot break even quickly, ill be in trouble financially.
You're absolutely right Bryan, I wouldn't want you to be out on this.
Guys lets get on it, a little from everyone won't be so bad.
This is a good upgrade.
Sal

George4741

Ron and Rudy,
I thought one of you had mentioned trying the slower gears in the 66, but I couldn't remember who.  Heck, I usually can't remember what I watched on TV last night. ;)  I need to get off my duff and start experimenting again. ;D  The first thing is installing the faster gears in my 113Narrow aka Grouper Special.

Andy,
I understand your point about the sentimental value.  I think 1+3 will work just fine for most applications, and if you need anything bigger, then use your 113H.

BTW this is what the main gear is supposed to look like in your 66.  This is from one of my small Senators, but it is the same gear.
viurem lliures o morirem

Newell Nut

I recently picked up a NIB Longbeach 60 for my grandson to have a little piece of history. I ordered 4 C Fs from Scotts and it made a huge difference in the smoothness of the drag and strength.
Excellent and cheap upgrade. I have a sabiki pole that holds up to 1/0 hooks for trigger fish and sea bass and I may just mount it on the pole.