Penn Long Beach 66 - Need left side plate.

Started by bajaandy, August 09, 2013, 03:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bajaandy

George,

Thanks for that photo! That gear and drag set looks nothing like what came out of my 66. Here's mine. What's interesting is that the spacer sleeve on yours is polished and exposed, while the one on mine is a simple brass spacer that sits inside another cover sleeve which is pressed into the cover plate.

I tink, therefore I am.

bajaandy

Here's the cover plate with the beauty ring sleeve.

I tink, therefore I am.

RowdyW

bajaandy, the reel looks more like a 65 then a 66.   Rudy

Ron Jones

That doesn't look like any of my 66s. I hope I sent you the rite plate!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bajaandy

Well, I don't know what to say... check the first photo I posted in this thread. The side plate is clearly marked as a Penn Long Beach 66. I'm tellin ya, I think she's an oldie!
I tink, therefore I am.

Ron Jones

Definitely different, is that inner sleeve made of copper? I am sure it is a 66, but not one I'm familiar with. If the diameter is the same as a 4/0 Senator and there is no top bar then the plate I sent you will fit.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bajaandy

Quote from: noyb72 on August 15, 2013, 02:20:36 AM
Definitely different, is that inner sleeve made of copper?
Ron

That's what I thought too. The inner sleeve and the wavy washer both look like they are copper, not brass. But I don't know how to tell the difference.
I tink, therefore I am.

Alto Mare

There shouldn't be anything different with the bridge, the Longbeach shares the same bridge ( 3-66 ) with all of the other models: 60,65,66,67 and 68.
What you have there is a set of gears from the 60, you could easily do that to all other Longbeach models.
You could also reverse what you have to the Longbeach 60, as I did here :
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6003.msg50174#msg50174
Not easy, but it can be done.
Gears from the 60 are the same in diameter as the other Longbeach gears, the teeth are finer, but width is the same.
So, same bridge, same width dimension on gears ........ it has to work.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Sal, I think the early model 60 reels used a 3-60 bridge with a slightly smaller shaft in the bridge. Isn't that also a squidder bridge?     Rudy

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on August 15, 2013, 03:35:55 PM
Sal, I think the early model 60 reels used a 3-60 bridge with a slightly smaller shaft in the bridge. Isn't that also a squidder bridge?     Rudy
I have never seen a 3-60 Rudy. I did have some of the very early Squidders and the bridge was the same as today's bridge 3-200.
Most sleeves on these smaller Penn's are the same , with very little variance. It doesn't really matter....well, unless you use the new ss gears that are cut to perfection, but that's another story. ;D
The only thing I have noticed to be different on the 3-200, was with the bridge post. Some of the earlier models were smaller but the OD of the sleeve was the same.
Even if the 3-60 does exist, gear swap on the 66 is possible...as stated above.
George mentioned if you ever used the 3-113 on those, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Sal, I have 3 used 3-60 bridges. Would you like me to send you one?  ;D    Rudy

Alto Mare

Rudy, if you could I would appreciate it, now I need to have one. Just make sure the one that you send it's stamped 3-60.
Thanks buddy.
I'll PM you my address.
Sal

broschro

Just went out in the garage and looked at my 65 bridge is stamped 3-60. It also has a small brass main gear and the same side plate as  bajaandy's 66  ???

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
"

bajaandy

Can anyone post up a picture of a 65 side plate and a 66 side plate so I can see what they're supposed to look like? Sounds like I've got something "unusual" here.
I tink, therefore I am.