Penn 116 Ht-100 drag stack height problem?

Started by Dynamo, September 29, 2013, 10:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynamo

Hello, everybody! I recently converted my 12/0's drag to a carbon fiber set up, but the height was definately off. There was a lot of space between the star and handle when I locked the reel down, and the reel was putting out way less drag than it should have been. I have pics but cannot post them. Does anybody know what I did wrong? Thanks guys!

Keta

You can add more washers to the stack if you have room, alternating eared keyed.  Make sure the last  eared washer is in the gear then put one more CF and keyed washer in the stack.  If not use keyed washers for spacers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dynamo

The main gear is filled up though, should the washers go over the top?

Keta

Yes, you can also double up on the spring washer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dynamo

I'll add another washer or two, thanks, Keta!

Cone

The last eared metal washer has to catch in the top of the gear. A carbon fiber washer on top of the eared washer and a keyed metal on top of that. Sometimes you may need to add another keyed washer or two on top of that but any more carbon fiber washers will not add any more drag.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Dynamo

Okay, i don't really want any more drag than the stock thirty. I've seen with my own eyes what happens when a 12/0's drag is overexerted. Here's what i did: washer, keyed, washer, eared, washer, keyed, washer, eared, washer, keyed, washer, eared, washer, keyed. What you're saying is add another washer and another eared and then the spring?

Shark Hunter

Yes, but if the eared is above the gear just use two non eared. This is typical of the 12. ;D
Life is Good!

Cone

Yep. The last eared has to catch in the slots of the main gear. Then add a cf washer and a keyed (you may need two keyed) then the spring.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

You want that reel to be really smooth, try 11 washers in the stack ;D

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dynamo

Haha, that's really sick Sal, I'll definitely have to try that. Those are just 6-116 washers, correct? Is there a drag increase or is the reel just smoother?

Alto Mare

Nothing sick about that Dynamo, try it you'll be amazed. Fiber washers need to be .75mm, metal are stock.
I don't know how old you are, but it would be like trying to stop a car with regular breaks and one with power breaks. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dynamo

I meant sick as in awesome, Sal, lol! Do you just grind the washers down? I lean the rod against the railing, so I can hold decent amount of drag. On the beach I sit down Palm Beach style, however, no harness!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 30, 2013, 12:45:08 AM
Nothing sick about that Dynamo, try it you'll be amazed. Fiber washers need to be .75mm, metal are stock.
I don't know how old you are, but it would be like trying to stop a car with regular breaks and one with power breaks. ;)
Sick is a slang term Sal, the younger crowd uses. Instead of saying "Very Nice", they say "that's Sick!"
I don't get it either. This Dynamo is really going through this place! I think he knows a lot about Shark Fishing. I've been waiting for you to Chime in and show us some "Three Wheel Motion!" ;D
Life is Good!

Dynamo

haha, sick is a strange term, for sure, but fun to use. I guess i grew up in the skim boarding/surfboarding crowd. Three wheel motion?