Trash bin 155

Started by saltydog, October 02, 2013, 03:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

ok, i have a stupid question.... I get NIB, OEM, YFT, etc... but what's the meaning of NOS .....
???

Ron Jones

New old stock. It means it is the same as NIB only it is for a part that isn't offered. If a store has a 155 sideplate in stock it has been on the shelf for a LONG time but is still new.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bunnlevel Sharker

Kinda off topic, but I just realized that Sal caught that shark on a pin rig!
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

After hours of searching for the right Jigmaster. I came up with this one. A 500M, stainless spool.
There are a ton of jigmasters out there, just finding one I like that was not a frankenreel was tough.
My Criteria was, metal spool, (no three piece) aluminum would be fine, 500, not 500S, (Sorry Ron) Clamp included. That's a job!
It either has no clamp, plastic spool, is a 500S, or it is in bad shape. I paid $55 for this one.
I think I did Ok. She is a Beauty! ::)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: erikpowell on February 14, 2014, 11:26:56 PM
ok, i have a stupid question.... I get NIB, OEM, YFT, etc... but what's the meaning of NOS .....
???

Nitrous Oxide  ;)
Life is Good!

Tile

New Old Stock - reels or their parts that were not used at all because of various reasons.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Alto Mare

I don't get what you're trying to say there Tile :-\.
NOS is simply New Old Sock, a new item from an older stock...that it.
You could have a various reasons for any reels you have sitting on your shelf ::)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Might be using the term NOS improperly -- however for me it just means new parts out of an inventory that have never been used on a reel before.

These could be 10 - 90 years old -- but still in the new parts bin. 

The only reason this is important to me in regards of stating NOS -- is that in the case of Penn -- many of the newer parts manufactured in China will fit an old Penn -- but in many cases the metal is not as durable, shiny, well made, or a slightly poor fit.

Many of my old Shakespeare parts from the 20s are NOS, the DAM Quick parts are all NOS, the Mitchell parts are all NOS, so are the Bronsons, OC, etc. -- as well as even the newer Daiwa interior parts and bodies from the 70s & 80s.

Like Bryan sez -- few people realize that we may have parts in stock for years or even decades before we sell them -- if ever.

That is why with the older collector reels, I am generally hesitant to just sell parts without doing the restoration
job myself.  One just ends up being a parts storing place for years without any advantage.

Now trading is a different story -- I'm always looking out for things that may benefit both parties in a trade.

And I keep nearly any old reel for parts -- have a 20' storage container full -- not counting what is in the parts bins in the shop.

Just found 2 good Daiwa 900Hs that I think I will upgrade with the good handles, drags, sleeves, etc. -- as Alan and Bryan have described.  Great old bulletproof reels when attached to a good rod.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

erikpowell

Quote from: noyb72 on February 14, 2014, 11:29:14 PM
New old stock. It means it is the same as NIB only it is for a part that isn't offered. If a store has a 155 sideplate in stock it has been on the shelf for a LONG time but is still new.
Ron

Roger that Ron... Right!  thanks for opening my eyes guys...

and Daron,
Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 15, 2014, 02:06:26 PM
Nitrous Oxide  ;)

I was secretly hoping thats what it really meant.. how cool would that be?  ;D ;D

Shark Hunter

500S on the way with red aluminum spool!
Life is Good!

erikpowell

You gonna NOS that sucka ?   ;D ;D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

My 155 is in sad shape. The stand is bent and there is a crack in the left plate. Thank You for the parts Fred, I'm going to need them. ::)
The 180 is superb! for $20 ;) Even has a stainless spool! Have to take the good with the bad. I'm only in for 20 bucks each. ;)

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Is that a 100 stand on that 180? Looks really nice. A tib frame and a couple rings will have the 155 shining like a diamond.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

30-180S on the stand Ron.
Life is Good!