Trash bin 155

Started by saltydog, October 02, 2013, 03:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

Found a poor little Penn 155 in the trash at the marina and figured I would save it. The spool was froze up and I figured the problem was someone tried to put mono on a plastic spool and didn't put any backing on and low and behold what do I find, what mono does to a plastic spool. Thanks Lee for the replacement she works like a dream now. Dacron will be in her future.

This is the look at the damage, a lot of times it is in the center of the spool but this one failed on the end.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

That's a trophy if you ask me, I like the plastic spools they really zip
Grayson Lanier

Keta

I'm glad to see the spool get a new home.  Put a bunch of Dacron or Spectra on it so it doesn't blow up like the other one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

saltydog

It was much appreciated. And the handle arm is great.
William
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

That Lee has some parts! I wish I would find a reel in the trash. Maybe then I could stay off fleabay.
My son found a really nice Black 4/0 on a St Croix rod sitting on top of a garbage can!
I have a plastic spool I got off Lee for a Super Mariner. How do you think I should spool this bad boy for some catfish?
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Pretty cool on you to save that little guy from a undeserved ending.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

erikpowell

I just saw the same thing on a 320 gti that came in locked up.... the side of the aluminun spool blew apart and the shaft blew out a hole in the left side plate... total destruction. pretty cool... I didn't have to clean up anything, it went in the trash, easy fix  ;D

they hooked a shark, fought it awhile, got it to the boat and BAM ..... no more penn.. my first experience with mono blowing open an aluminum spool.

saltydog

Shark Hunter I would go with Dacron or braid. And as for the trash thing at the marina I am at on lake Texhoma those people do it all the time. They don't clean them for a few years and just go buy another one, go figure.

I have seen plastic spools do this a lot and have only seen it once on an aluminum spool, factory defect, you could see where there were bubbles in the casting.
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

We broke a defiance on the pier, have of the max darg and bam AR went out. My friend broke the spool on his with 50lb braid. Blew through the sideplate like the gti
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Picked me up a 155 for 20 bucks shipped. The posts are the only thing that looks bad. I will reuse the ones off my Surfmaster 200.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

GO NON EXPLODING REELS!!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Hi Shark Hunter --

If you still need some NOS 155 posts -- instead of taking apart your Surfmaster 200 -- PM me with your mailing information -- and I will send 4 to you.

Also, do you need a stand?  I normally upgrade the stock 30-155 to a 30-200 -- if the reel is to be used rather than kept on a shelf -- since the 30-200 will accept a rod clamp, is less apt to twist, etc.  I have both -- and can send one to you along with the posts.

Let me know --

All the best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Got me a baymaster 180 for cheap too! ;) More non-explosive Ron! ;D
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I'm waiting on Newell bars to have mine together, no where near as pretty as yours.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

If you want a better reel, toss that right side plate and replace it with a surfmaster's plate, you will have smoother and stronger gears/drags.
This one was caught by me on a jigmaster with 25lb mono, would you believe my plate never blew up? :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.