9/0 Frame Kit

Started by broadway, December 16, 2013, 02:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Aiala,
I don't use anything on my plates. I know you are not supposed to use armor all or products like that. After I rebuild a reel, There is usually Grease all over it from applying it to the post and stand holes and from screwing the bridge down, I usually get it pretty much all over. I figure the more grease I apply, the less chance of corrosion getting into the reel. I use a brush and put it under the rings and coat the inside of the plates. I'm not blobbing it there, just trying to give everything a nice thin coat. I wear disposable gloves I am so messy with it. After I screw he bridge on, I put some around the main gear and rotate it, especially if the gears are steel. After I get it all buttoned up. I dry it off the best I can to get the grease off, usually with a soft shop cloth, and Wala! Shiny Plates! ;D I only use Penn Blue grease. I'm sure some don't approve of this method, but it works for me. :D

Life is Good!

bluefish69

Not saying grease won't work but I use Penn Rod & Reel Cleaner it does a nice job. I have rebuilt reels for people & they thought that I gave them a new reel. One squirt per side & rub it in with your hand. With or without a glove. Just wipe off excess.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

I'll try that Mike, when my grease wears off. ;)
Life is Good!

bluefish69

Daron

I the case of your size reels it might take 2 squirts

Shark Hunter

Quote from: bluefish69 on January 29, 2014, 10:23:37 PM
Daron

I the case of your size reels it might take 2 squirts
Do they sell it by the Gallon? ;)
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Buenos Dias!
That's a gooood looking 9/0

I've been rubbing Cals on my plates under the impression that the teflon based grease is easier on the plastic than other petroleum based greases. I just scrub a tiny bit in with a toothbrush and rub off any excess...just like a lever drag washer.
It really works wonders on older graphite reels (TLD's) that go gray with age. really shines them up!

bluefish69

Dominick

You have to be careful of the plates swelling.  I use black shoe polish and a shoe brush.  Bryan's idea.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

How about I send you a couple plates and some shoes. Shine boy! :D
Life is Good!

broadway

Yeah, get your shine box, Dominick  ;D
....name the movie?

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on January 30, 2014, 04:47:19 PM
Yeah, get your shine box, Dominick  ;D
....name the movie?
Goodfellows.  That one is too easy.  Nobody plays a nut like Joe Pesci.  Frank Vincent a major wise guy puts down Joe Pesci with that line.  My wife's daughter was in the wedding scene when they are putting the envelopes in the white satin bag.  You are too young to have witnessed the procession to the bride and groom and the "La Busta."  It was done at every wedding when I was growing up. Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

It was Goodfellas, Shine Boy! Spit shine Tommy is what Frank said to Joe Pesci before he and Deniro killed him.
What is "La busta"? I know Busta Rhymes :D
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 30, 2014, 06:01:30 PM
It was Goodfellas, Shine Boy! Spit shine Tommy is what Frank said to Joe Pesci before he and Deniro killed him.
What is "La busta"? I know Busta Rhymes :D
A straight translation is "the envelope."  There is no translation for the underlying meaning of paying respect to the parents of bride and groom.  Sometimes Italians complicate things.  Dominick

alantani

hey, we've all got a little italian in all of us!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Fuggedaboutit ;)
Ps- I've been to many a weddings with the boosta line;)