New to forum

Started by needsaboat, December 16, 2013, 03:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

needsaboat

I've been wondering around on here for a couple days and decides to join up.

I recently inherited several Newell's (540's, 546's, 550's), most are in need of some work.  I'm new to reel repair, but I plan on tackling these myself.  Is there still a source for Newell parts?

Also, most of these reels are 3.2's which are a bit low for the depth I fish, is there a way to change gear ratios?

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

this one is going to be tough.  bearings are standard, drag sets are still available, nad we have handles!  other parts will be tough.  there are very few guys that have parts anymore. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

The Newell's are really popular reels here on Oahu, HI.  There are several local guys with expressive collections, and some which sell parts and upgrades on a regular basis.  Not sure if these guys might be willing to ship to you or not but if you look around different sites you might be able to find what you need.  There are at least 2 companies that are manufacturing aftermarket SS high speed gear sets for the 400 and 500 series, aftermarket handles are available, tiburon has frames and spools, there are several different options for bearings, and at least 2 complete drag kit upgrades available. 

This guy seems to always have a good inventory of Newell parts

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/spo/4230027013.html

Might want to try to give him a call?

As I recall there is a guy in Florida that had a large stock of new/old stock newell parts, you may want to search around the net a bit. 

But to answer your question...yes you can modify the gear ratio fairly easily, just need a new gear set (pinion and main gear).

Hope this helps
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BMITCH

Welcome, those are some very nice Newell's you have there. IMO one of if not the easiest of the conventional reels to work on. Have fun with it and post pics. We love pictures.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Welcome needsaboat!
You will get the answers you seek here! ;)
Life is Good!

needsaboat

Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone!  I'm excited about getting these babies back in action!  They've caught more fish than I can ever hope to catch, but it's fun to try!

Newell Nut

I have a lot of Newell parts but you will not be able to easily convert a 3.2 to high speed without changing the spools. I do also have a very large collection of Newells and I like the 3.2s so I can trade you some high speed Newells. PM me and we can discuss your options.

Bryan Young

Try contacting Peesherman http://alantani.com/index.php?action=profile;u=8655.  He's located in Hawaii as well, and just got a whole mess of parts.

If you need drag sets, I have a 5+1 set that I offer with thinner metal washers.  See what some have said about them.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8637.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8200.0

Send me or Alan Tani a PM is you are interested.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

The low speed 3.2 has a larger spool shaft than you see on the high speed reels and that is why a conversion would be almost impossible but very costly to try it. I have enough parts to convert 2 or 3 of them but you would have to send me reels and I would install the parts. I have complete new gear sets and spools for the 500s and 600s. The high speed Newells that I could trade you do not need any work so this is your best option. They are mint condition with new bearings and smooth drags. You could add Bryan's 5 stack drag and a Tiburon frame if you needed to tinker with something.

needsaboat

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 16, 2013, 04:18:11 PM
The low speed 3.2 has a larger spool shaft than you see on the high speed reels and that is why a conversion would be almost impossible but very costly to try it. I have enough parts to convert 2 or 3 of them but you would have to send me reels and I would install the parts. I have complete new gear sets and spools for the 500s and 600s. The high speed Newells that I could trade you do not need any work so this is your best option. They are mint condition with new bearings and smooth drags. You could add Bryan's 5 stack drag and a Tiburon frame if you needed to tinker with something.

Newell Nut, thanks for the offer, when I get off work I'll send you a PM with my models, etc.  I may want to hang on to one 3.2, but I'm very interested in trading.

Newell Nut

Great, all of my stuff is maxed out so I am getting bored and need to work on something.

Newell Nut

I don't think that I was this bored. Jesse and I met and he handed over 4 Newell 500 series reels. Externally they looked okay but the internals were a whole lot of trouble. It was a challenging endeavor and quite a learning experience since I ran into some tough problems. If I had to charge for labor they would have to go into the trash bin for sure. But for 300 in parts he will have super nice reels if I could just figure which parts on the pile go into which reel. HMMMM ;)

Shark Hunter

Wow Dwight. That's some bench there. I'm sure you know exactly where everything is. ;)
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

There is a system. The far left is the 540, next is 546 and then the two 550s and one is bolted up. Most of the parts are interchangeable anyway. I just finished the 540 and 546 and pulled 42 pounds of drag on both with some room left on the star.

Jesse needs to start pumping iron to use these reels and get some heavier line.