reel_hooked 14/0

Started by Shark Hunter, December 22, 2013, 09:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I recently bought another 14/0 from an ebay seller in Hawaii. The price was $320. It was described as having new bearings, drags and new 130lb mono. I got the reel yesterday, It arrived in a box way too small. It was bulging at least 2 inches on either side. I opened it up and it looked like it survived except for a major crack in the right side ring. It was also missing the Rod braces. I sent him a message and he claims that his customers like their reels boxed like this?, and that I could make a claim for the ring and that the brace was in a bag with the handle. The handle was still attached to the reel and there is no bag.
I've been around ebay long enough that this is not the way to do business. I told him I could live with the ring if he sent me one rod brace, that was all that was shown in the photos. The sellers name is reel_hooked and if he doesn't make this right, I'm sending the whole reel back and he can eat the shipping. I consider myself easy to get along with, but when a seller pretty much tells me tough luck, they are going to learn the hard way. ;)
Life is Good!

broadway

I hate when that happens! Most of the people on Ebay are good sellers from my experience, but the few that do the "wrong thing" leave a bad taste in our mouths.  I feel the big problem with ebay is when you leave feedback for the sellers with "power seller" status we don't have the ability to check all of the stars.  We're only able to grade on the description of the item, which means they get 5 stars automatically on the ones we can't check.  If Ebay doesn't protect their customers better that will ruin the whole auction website business, in time :(
Good luck with the seller,
Dom

philaroman

you're WAY too nice -- should've snapped a few digital photos of the packaging & all damage/omissions & demanded a fat partial refund to get replacements that are up to your standards, on your own...  why trust this guy w/ anything else???

otherwise, eBay dispute resolution really does favor the Buyer in most cases & you should be able to get a full refund, PLUS make him eat return Shipping, as well

Tightlines667

Shark Hunter,
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.  I've noticed since I've started selling a few serviced and refurbished reels in Ebay, there are 2 other HI sellers that have been adding 'serviced', refurbished, and 'new parts' to their ads.   I assumed these guys are doing a good job on their reels and have been telling the truth on replacement parts, what's included, etc, and have no reason to believe otherwise, since I havn't actually seen any of the other 'refurbished' reels.  I did recently service a reel that a customer had bought from another HI seller, who said the reel had hardly been used and that it had been recently 'serviced'.  I can attest that the reel was in excellent condition and definately had seen very little use, but it still had factory lubes and definately had never been 'serviced' (maybe my customer just misunderstood him, or maybe he had been lied to).  I think it's a good thing that people are willing to truely service their reels, and replace worn or missing parts to make the reels complete and in truely good working condition before selling, but false advertising or misrepresenting reels for sale can hurt everyone who is legitimately trying to sell quality reels.  This bothers me.  On the other hand, maybe this was just a simple mistake, a mixup, or something?  Including rod clamps, complete braces, replacing cracked rings, bearings, and upgrading the drag stacks on these senators can add up quickly.  If someone advertises a given reel as having these things then it better have them, or I would return it immediately.  Hope the seller makes it right by you.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Makule

I purchased a Pflueger Templar reel from a guy on Ebay.  He described it as being in excellent condition and when I received it, the left side plate bearing was pushed out enough to crack the side plate.  When I described it to him, he totally denied the reel was damaged, and said I bought was what shown in the pictures so he wouldn't refund my money.  The images he posted did not show the area where the damage was.  We exchanged a few more email messages through the Ebay system, and he resorted to calling me a liar, and then other expletives.  Fortunately, I filed a complaint with the Ebay resolution center and they ruled in my favor.  My money was refunded, including the cost to ship the reel back to the guy.  The guy continued to send me outrageous email, leading me to think that he had some psychological issue(s).

The point is that it's good practice to try to resolve the issue with the person first.  If that doesn't work, don't hesitate to resort to using the Ebay resolution center.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

DaBigOno

Sorry to hear about that Daron.   I'm sure it will work out in the end.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

Its all good guys. ;D
I just wanted you to know that this seller is shady. I've sent him three messages and no reply. This reel looks really nice, I'm going to look inside today, and I bet its not as he described. I will pack it up real nice like it should be and he can refund me. Its a shame that guys think they can pull one over on the Shark Hunter. ;)
Life is Good!

philaroman

do yourself a favor: take photos of what's wrong; pack it up the way you received it & take more photos with top/front & his label plainly visible; THEN put the whole thing in a bigger box to ship back...  if you need eBay to resolve a dispute, it really helps if you can SHOW them what was wrong -- don't get involved in "he said/she said" & you'll get all your money back, QUICKLY

floating doc

Document, document, document!

the expression we use for medical records is that if it isn't in the record it didn't happen.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

I pulled the box from the trash to double check and make sure there was no mystery bag that contained the handle ,nut and brace. (The handle is still attached to the reel.) I'm going to bust it open and check the drags, if it does have new drags and bearings, I'm going to keep it and file a claim. He is still insisting there is a bag. I'm starting to think this guy is disillusional.
Life is Good!

Makule

Do not open up the reel.  Just file a complaint with Ebay and have them issue you the refund (be sure to ask for return shipping cost).

I can get you a replacement 14/0 for the same price (or less) in good condition.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

If the drags and washers are new, that's a $50 upgrade. I only need to take the handle off to see.
This will be the deal or dealbreaker. New bearings and 130lb mono. I still think that's a good price.
I'll just go for a new ring and rod brace.
Albert, I haven't forgot about your solid surface samples. I am still collecting different colors and will get them glued together for you. Consider it a late Christmas present.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Daron:  I am sorry you are having problems with an ebay seller.  You probably know this but it might help someone.  Go to EBay's customer service link and follow the prompts to resolve the claim.  Also I dealt with Tightlines66 he is right on in his descriptions and like you he had some post sales dissonance.  :D  He is a straight forward seller.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

No post sale dissonance here Buddy! I am glad it has a good home. I have plenty! I have three reels in about every room in the house I need to go through. As far as the 14/0 from this reel_hooked character.
He is in for a rude awakening. The reel doesn't have new drags. Its on the way back to him, and he is eating the return shipping. I tried to be reasonable, There is no reason with a fibber! ;)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I think my 14/0 is making its way back to Hawaii from California by kayak! I sent it back on the 21st. It left Cali on the 1st. USPS estimated delivery is the 11th! I bet Rob would have been there by now! It left from Richmond. Thats right next to Dominick. You didn't snag my Reel did you? Dom ::)
Life is Good!