GETTING STARTED WITH BRAID

Started by LTM, February 14, 2014, 04:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

If i had time to prep my gear the the preferred method is in line splicing of the leader to the hollow to the solid braid.  if I got cut off and don't have another similiar rig ready,  then I would just tie a quick pena and get back to the bite.  in between moves i would splice a new leader on.  as far as tool, i only need a pice of wire to splice the hollow braid to hollow braid.  if i have to splice a new hollow sleeve onto my solid braid, all i need is the wire, some 20 or 30 lbs solid braid for the nail knots and a coffee straw.  maybe 10 minutes max to splice on the hollow sleeve.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Double up the 40lb braid when you do it, u can use a sewing needle to pull it through just cut a slit in the eye
Grayson Lanier

SoCalAngler

For my topshots going from solid spectra to mono/fluoro I use the Bob Sands knot.

LTM

Gentlemen,

This is an update to let you know Im still here studying this good info you have presented and thank you again. HOWEVER, Im somewhat distracted for I have won an auction on ebay for a Penn 750SS and Im EXCITED  ;D ;D. So, Im back now to figure out some more "jargon" and methodology/technique.

Leo

Normslanding

Inserting line into hollow Spectra/PE is as close to 100% as you can get. Knots is Spectra/PE are generally 74% of the stated line strength. If you never exceed 74% it won't brake. But if you fish large fish that can run a lot of line off of a reel Well it happens. As you get spooled the pressure goes up. It is a guessing game as how mush to back off, to reduce the pressure.
Some of the guys that fish big fish are now using about 150 yds. of solid spliced to there Hollow. This has two advantages: 1. The solid is less money and as it takes most of the wear it is replaced. 2. Is is far easier to see frays, and nicks in the solid than in hollow.
If you go down one or two sizes of solid inserted into hollow you should not have a issue. Technology is always chaining. There is at least one brand of hollow on the market that is easier to work with in the small sizes. Hollow is now available down to 20# test. 80# leader can be inserted into 20# hollow.
That is a great advantage when fishing line shy toothy critters like here if Florida. Try all of the methods to connect Spectra to it self, or other lines. Judge for you self, opinions are just that opinions. Get comfortable with it and use what satisfies your needs.   Hope this helps.

LTM

Normslanding,

Thanx for that info, please give some brand names. To clarify now, your stating that some are using solid braid as a "top shot" for their hollow braid correct?

Leo

Normslanding

Most of the name brand solids are good. Izor, Cortland, Jerry Brown, Toro. The weave (strands) makes a lot of difference. Personally I use a solid produce from China, it is a 8 weave. As to hollow the same applies. Izor, Cortland, Toro, etc. Don't use off brands, or Spiderwire, or Powerpro, solids are ho-hum 4 weave. The Powerpro Hollow Ace is not a bad product, others are better.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 14, 2014, 05:21:08 AM
Hi Leo. I'm a little confused.  And it's probably me.

I would fill the reel with solid braid with about 1/4 in from the top.  Then I would tie a bimini in the solid braid to create the loop on the spool. Then the top shot - I would use the hollow braid to form the loop and secure the mono/fluorocarbon in the hollow braid. Is that what you are saying?

Bryan,

Putting a loop in solid spectra the Bimini Twist works well, there is some debate on how many turns to make the Bimini though. I was taught 40-45 twists but others say 12 is better, as I have no way to test this I use the 40 to 45 on heavier stuff.

What Leo is looking for is connecting the solid spectra to the hollow. Using hollow you are able to make a knotless connection between the solid and hollow spectra's. Then you make another knotless loop in the hollow where you attach the topshot. Ok got me so far?? If you do here is the last step, you have premade topshots. The topshots are made with mono/fluoro but they are made with a spectra loop on one end also. I know its a liltte long but you attach the topshot to the spliced in piece of hollow using a cats paw to connect the loop from the spliced in piece of hollow to a topshot which also has a loop of spectra. Using a cats paw connection allows you to attach a new premade topshot quickly to the line.

Doing this takes out the sometimes bulky knots and gives you close if not 100% of the lines breaking strength.

LTM

Thanx SoCal,

Knot (haha) being an expert, this very much sounds like what I have in mind (just dont know what a Cats Paw is yet). On another note regarding using hollow as you base. It would seem to my lack of knowledge self that hollow braid's strands would become creased and weaken over time under all that pressure vs solid braid. It would also seem that solid braid would be more abbrasion resistant than hollow?

Thanx,

Leo

SoCalAngler

A cats paw is the connection between the two loops. It's a matter of inserting the topshot loop through the mainline loop then taking the topshot and looping it through its own loop two or three times. When you tighten the topshot loop to the mainline loop the spectra connection should line up and not be over lapping its self. When tightened the spectra from the topshot should look like a cats paw.

EDIT: I do not think it matters how many times you loop the topshot to make the cats paw but the more loops the better chance of them crossing over one another and this could weaken the connection

LTM

Thanx SoCal thats what I thought. So guys tell me, Why cant one just stuff the solid braid backing into the hollow transition braid and do the same stuffing of the topshot into the hollow braid on the other end? Sounds very simple in theory.

Leo

SoCalAngler

Quote from: LTM on February 17, 2014, 07:46:51 AM
It would also seem that solid braid would be more abbrasion resistant than hollow?

No I don't think so, any damage to either solid or hollow will result is weaker spectra.

As we know spectra is made from several strands of PE weaved together and each strand in turn is made of several/many filaments. Damage to just to a couple of filaments in a single strand can and most likely will weaken the spectras breaking strength a great deal. It does not matter if it is solid or hollow. Spectra has terrible abrasion resistance. Thats why in a earlier post I mentioned boat/and line rub because sonner or later this could happen and weaken your backing.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: LTM on February 17, 2014, 06:00:30 PM
Thanx SoCal thats what I thought. So guys tell me, Why cant one just stuff the solid braid backing into the hollow transition braid and do the same stuffing of the topshot into the hollow braid on the other end? Sounds very simple in theory.

Leo

The cats paw is only to connect the two loops together, the one loop on the main line comming off the reel and the other loop on the premade topshot.

Thats how it is done but where the the two lines come together, say fluoro inserted into the hollow you need something to hold the hollow spectra from slipping up the fluoro when there is no tension on the lines. When there is tension the hollow acts like the old Chinese finger cuff's and grips tighter and tighter with the more pressure applied. But, when there is little or no tension the spectra can and does slip back up the fluoro without something stopping it, like a serve, Sato crimp or the weakest stop a over hand knot.

LTM

Yes SoCal,

I understand the need to terminate the line inserted into the hollow, and the hollow acting like the Chinese finger thingy.  So, why not just thread the solid backing into the hollow and terminate/serve and do the same for the opposite end of the hollow with the top shot? Easy peasy right?

Leo

Keta

I tie 3-4 foot surgeons loop in the solid, slide it into the hollow until the knot is 1 to 1-1/2 inches into the hollow then serve with 2 10 turn nail knots.  Jerry Brown just slides 3-4 feet of solid into the hollow and ties a overhand knot in both to keep the solid from slipping out.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain