GETTING STARTED WITH BRAID

Started by LTM, February 14, 2014, 04:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Lee,

Why dont you do this for the topshot end to attach the topshot?

Keta

The knot is too large with mono.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

OK Lee,

Now Im beginning to understand. Since braid is typically 1/3 the size of its mono equivalent, and the mono/fluro topshot being 2X/200% or larger than the braid. So to pass thru guides its much better to connect the smaller material (being braid) for a much easier movement thru guides/rollers. Lee, I sure would benefit from visiting Jerry Brown as you stated earlier. Can anyone recommend a good book on braid? I love books!!!

Big thanks again Lee,

Leo

Keta

I had a good one but I can't remember it's name, I'll see if I can find it.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Mark Twain

LTM

Thanx Lee,

I saw a link for this @ charkbait, but didnt know if it was worthwhile. Now I do. Charkbaits shipping is a deterant when purchasing low priced items. Thanx for the link.

Leo

SoCalAngler

Marks (Charkbait) prices seem good to me so make a list of things needed and when you hit $150 mark shipping is free, also you say your in So Cal right? Charkbait has a shop in Huntington Beach and one in San Diego. If you go to their shop I'd call first and make sure they have the book. before heading down.

LTM

Thanks SoCal,

Didnt know he had a shop in Huntington Beach.

Leo

Keta

Quote from: LTM on February 18, 2014, 03:32:59 PM
Thanx Lee,

I saw a link for this @ charkbait, but didnt know if it was worthwhile. Now I do. Charkbaits shipping is a deterant when purchasing low priced items. Thanx for the link.

Leo

How far are you from Mark's store?  It's worth a drive to see it, I drive 700 miles to do it....on the way further south.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Lee,
Do you let the end of the solid stick out the hollow sleeve as the loop or do you splice a loop into the hollow? I'm really thinking that a 3 pass surgeon's loop to a mono wind on woud work. I am slowly but surely being talked into trying these things called wind ons. I've fished a bunch of mono with a main line surgeon's loop to a leader surgeon's loop but most weren't wind on and I don't think I ever tried to cast the ones that were.

When you make your wind ons, how do you attach the mono to the hollow?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

The solid stays inside the hollow.

Splice a loop in the hollow, then cut it off so it's long enough to slide the mono 3-4 feet inside.  Insert mono then serve the connection where the mono enters the Spectra with 1 10 turn nail knot and another 10 turn nail knot 1-1-1/2 inches up the hollow so your servings are about 1" or so apart.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Got it,
Seems like a lot of work, but it is a very elegant solution. If you don't mind me asking, do you find yourself switching wind ons on the boat much? I'm wondering if the flexibility really helps.

Thanks
Ron

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

I use short topshots so if I'm retying or breaking off many times I change topshots on the water often. Once the work is done (making the topshots) it's faster to change out a topshot than it is to tie a knot and there is less chance to make a mistake on a pitching deck.  I keep several topshots on line spools and usually the loop on the main line is reusable, if not I tie a 3 or 4 turn surgeons loop.  Slip the loop in your main line through the loop in the topshot, put the spool through the loop in your main line, pull it tight making sure the loops pull evenly, done.  To take a used topshot off cut one leg of the loop and pull.

Mark Twain

LTM

Man, I got alot to learn. ??? ???  Got to get that book soon; reaching OVERLOAD!!

Leo

Keta

Will you be able to go on the AT long range trip?  If so hands on helps.

Mark Twain