GETTING STARTED WITH BRAID

Started by LTM, February 14, 2014, 04:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

No Lee, not this time. It would be great to meet you guys.

Keta

Drive down the morning we cast off or the night before and say hi.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

SO have  you had a 3-4 turn surgeon's loop hold on fish in braid?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

LTM

LTM

Quote from: Keta on February 19, 2014, 03:48:45 AM
Drive down the morning we cast off or the night before and say hi.

I wonder if the landing would let some of us catch/release some of those healthy mackerl that are around the docks there? To me thats fun cause those healthy mackerl tug nicely on 12/15# or whatever its just FUN WITH FRIENDS.  ;D ;D ;D

Leo

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on February 19, 2014, 06:34:04 PM
SO have  you had a 3-4 turn surgeon's loop hold on fish in braid?
Ron

Nothing real big but a few nice lingcod and halibut.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Keta on February 18, 2014, 11:15:14 PM
Quote from: LTM on February 18, 2014, 03:32:59 PM
Thanx Lee,

I saw a link for this @ charkbait, but didnt know if it was worthwhile. Now I do. Charkbaits shipping is a deterant when purchasing low priced items. Thanx for the link.

Leo

How far are you from Mark's store?  It's worth a drive to see it, I drive 700 miles to do it....on the way further south.

I think you stop by there on the way home too Lee. Wasn't that you that stopped by the shop on your way home one time and sawed off a wahoo's head and tail in the parking lot so it would fit in Mark's freezer?

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Keta

I had 10 of them and I figured I'd made Mark's crew happy. I made a few other stops on the way home and ended up with this, the rest of the one I cut is there too, can't waste wahoo!!!!

Mark Twain

Tightlines667

That's a nice stack of 'cordwood' there!  Wahoo is one of the best fish at maintaining quality once frozen.  That being said, if you think you might have a problem earring it up, don't be afraid to try canning a bit.  It keeps forever that way, and makes outstanding winter sandwich fare.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 20, 2014, 10:01:43 PM
That's a nice stack of 'cordwood' there!  Wahoo is one of the best fish at maintaining quality once frozen.  That being said, if you think you might have a problem earring it up, don't be afraid to try canning a bit.  It keeps forever that way, and makes outstanding winter sandwich fare.

Lightly smoked and canned wahoo is some of the best eating, yellow tail is also good smoked and canned.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Keta on February 20, 2014, 07:50:46 PM
I had 10 of them and I figured I'd made Mark's crew happy. I made a few other stops on the way home and ended up with this, the rest of the one I cut is there too, can't waste wahoo!!!!

And you did I got some nice stakes off that fish. Thanks

Keta

Mark Twain

LTM

Glad to see that Im not the only one interested in this topic; 1100+ views in 10 days???

Leo

Killerbug

http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Ron Jones

Quote from: Killerbug on February 23, 2014, 06:57:49 PM
How do you can tuna or wahoo?
I'm sure Lee will step in here but the best tutorials I've found for it ire on the Saly Dog subforum of ifish. It is an often talked about topic there.
Canning fish is different than canning fruit. The process requires a high pressure canner and temperatures need to be higher. I've never invested in the equipment but I have used conventional canning methods to can Tuna, it lasts not quite a couple months but it makes FANTASTIC tuna sandwiches. Again, I got the idea from the Salty Dogs

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"