What, exactly, is a Penn "99"?

Started by Aiala, March 01, 2014, 09:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Thank you for sharing these terrific photos, John! They are most illustrative. You clearly have a very impressive collection. :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

X2.  Both of my 99's have been rode hard and put away wet...in saltwater, but nice ones are hard to find and bring big $$$.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

John, I always love seeing your reels. I'd love to see the whole collection. You have some awesome eye candy.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Irish Jigger

Quote from: jigmaster501 on March 02, 2014, 02:43:48 AM
The Penn 99 is a Silver Beach reel.
Good condition reel bases are impossible to find. The only upgrade reel base that can be used is the Newell base for their 4/0 yellowtail special.

I can get new Penn 30-99 Stands for $15 each if you need them.

Ron Jones

I never put together that the base would be the same as the YTS. I knew it was the same width as the 66. A Newelled 99 would be different, anybody know if the Newell 99 width bars fit a 99 or only a narrowed 500?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

Ron, the "99" width Newell bars that fit the jigmaster sideplates won't fit the 99 silverbeach.  Slightly diffferent screw spacing.  However, Newell did make some bars that fit the silverbeach, 145 squidder, and others.  I have a set on my 150 surfmaster.  
 George
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

So you can fit the small conventional bars? It would be an exploding reel but it would be really cool. I might have to make one. How many different spools did the 99 come with?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

Quote from: noyb72 on March 04, 2014, 04:13:29 AM
How many different spools did the 99 come with?
Ron

Two, a plastic and a chromed (bronze?) spool.  I bought my Silver Beach to use the spool in my first jigmaster narrowed to the "99" width.  The Accurate and Tiburon spools from my Albacore Specials also fit in my Silver Beach.
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

Cool,
I wasn't sure if their was a 3 piece spool to avoid. One more on my bucket list.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

john2244

Of the Penn 99 Silver Beach reels I have 2 have plastic spools and 3 have "3 piece" spools.

John

Ron Jones

Like I said, it will be a long time before I ever get to this. Something else I thought of, An all Penn Grouper Special would be cool. 99 base, 66 spool bars and gear train, black Senator side plates. I imagine anyone would have better use for those parts, but for the guy who has everything that would be cool. Seems like Penn should have made one of those.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

George4741

Yes, my metal 99 spool is also 3-piece.
viurem lliures o morirem

steelhead_killer

Ok trying to wrap my head around this model:

Use 500/501 plates, will the new plates from Cortez Conversions also work?
Use a Tib frame and spool for the Jigmaster 99
Use the AT gear sleeve
Use the 5+1 drags stack
Can I use the Pro Challenger double dog bridge?
Use the Pro Challenger 4:1 gear and pinion

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Andy

><)))">

PacRat

Yes to all of the above and you will have a great little reel....Albacore Special.