What, exactly, is a Penn "99"?

Started by Aiala, March 01, 2014, 09:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Ted, the more reels and reel parts you have around the more you can play mix and match with the posts, stands and spools to create combinations heretofore unmentioned and unthought of.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Big Tim

I highly recommend after spending countless $$ on parts, labor, time, effort, that you enjoy the fact you built it yourself...Put it on a shelf and then go fishing. I like my old 500 and maybe the new "99"

BT

;D

Ron Jones

It is NOT a 99 if it does not have a star. You go throw that new fangled thing somewhere that it won't desecrate that hot rodded 99 width Jigmaster.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Big Tim

Quote from: noyb72 on February 02, 2016, 03:28:46 AM
It is NOT a 99 if it does not have a star. You go throw that new fangled thing somewhere that it won't desecrate that hot rodded 99 width Jigmaster.
Ron

Can I please have a bigger spoon  ;D

BT

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

Tim, I also have a framed 99 and a Fathom 25nld2. The Fathom goes out on date night and the 99 sits home in the dark.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Big Tim

Quote from: MarkT on February 02, 2016, 05:43:16 AM
Tim, I also have a framed 99 and a Fathom 25nld2. The Fathom goes out on date night and the 99 sits home in the dark.

Exactly my point  ;D

BT

Maxed Out

Here is 500 jigmaster next to a 99 width jigmaster.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

DaBigOno

I love that silver clamp on that 99, where did you find that Ted?

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

steelhead_killer

><)))">

coastal_dan

Ted - That's a match made in heaven.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Alto Mare

Yes, both are nice, but that fully converted 99 is worth some bucks. Not easy finding one of the same...I'm Jealous.
I've told you guys earlier, I've seen some of Ted's parts boxes, this man could build anything.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

DaBigOno

Quote from: Aiala on March 04, 2016, 05:08:19 PM
Y'know, I started that thread as an egregiously clueless newbie; but with considerable advice/assistance from the AT experts and a LOT of patience, before long I was able to produce these 99 lovelies:

So to any/all AT newbies, please do NOT feel diffident or intimidated. If this ol' gal can still learn new tricks (so to speak... ahem ::) ) so can you! 

Quote from: steelhead_killer on March 04, 2016, 08:45:04 PM
Because of your questions I ended up building this 99

I look forward to the both of your definitions of "what is a Penn 99" the next time someone poses that question...

Is it just a Silver Beach?  Is it a certain size Jigmaster??  Can it be a combination???  I truly enjoy such a conversation because in this hobby we all enjoy, it can have different meanings to each of us.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

redsetta

Great thread all - thanks for kicking it off Aiala!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Maxed Out

Quote from: DaBigOno on March 07, 2016, 02:49:46 AM
Quote from: Aiala on March 04, 2016, 05:08:19 PM
Y'know, I started that thread as an egregiously clueless newbie; but with considerable advice/assistance from the AT experts and a LOT of patience, before long I was able to produce these 99 lovelies:

So to any/all AT newbies, please do NOT feel diffident or intimidated. If this ol' gal can still learn new tricks (so to speak... ahem ::) ) so can you!  

Quote from: steelhead_killer on March 04, 2016, 08:45:04 PM
Because of your questions I ended up building this 99

I look forward to the both of your definitions of "what is a Penn 99" the next time someone poses that question...

Is it just a Silver Beach?  Is it a certain size Jigmaster??  Can it be a combination???  I truly enjoy such a conversation because in this hobby we all enjoy, it can have different meanings to each of us.

Well, I think any reel that is 99 width can be classified as a form of a 99......

....just remember, no matter how you build it, a 113HL is always wider than a 99  ;D ::) ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!