What, exactly, is a Penn "99"?

Started by Aiala, March 01, 2014, 09:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Thanks PAcRat!  Just wanted to make sure I was reading things right before I launch into this build.

Andy
><)))">

Shark Hunter

Its just a little more narrow than a regular 500.
Stock 500 width on the left. 99 frame on the right.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

What hasn't been said yet that might help others is that a 99 Silverbeach is not a narrow 500 Jigmaster. It is a unique reel with its own stand. A Jigmaster that is narrowed to 99 width, or a 99 that has a Jigmaster right side plate, is known as an Albacore Special.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: steelhead_killer on January 27, 2016, 03:11:09 AM
Ok trying to wrap my head around this model:

Use 500/501 plates, will the new plates from Cortez Conversions also work?
Use a Tib frame and spool for the Jigmaster 99
Use the AT gear sleeve
Use the 5+1 drags stack
Can I use the Pro Challenger double dog bridge?
Use the Pro Challenger 4:1 gear and pinion

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Andy

Yes Andy, you could use the double dog bridge and other parts mentioned above. Mike and myself have noticed that one of the dog on these custom bridge is catching a little on the custom plates.
You would get away without doing anything, but I'm sure it would bother you as it did us ;D.
Here is a pick of what should be done:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16099.msg171235#msg171235
Mike also mentioned the sleeve ratchet, I personally didn't have any issues with it and don't believe that the sleeve ratchet being a hair wider would cause any, but see it for yourself.
The spool on the 99 kit from Tiburon (P29K) will be a little loose with Tom's plates. Tom has a washer that could be added on the spool shaft to pick up the slack, I simply place a piece of Delrin at the base of the bearing cup, those are leftovers from stamping my  Delrin washers.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on January 27, 2016, 06:39:37 AM
What hasn't been said yet that might help others is that a 99 Silverbeach is not a narrow 500 Jigmaster. It is a unique reel with its own stand. A Jigmaster that is narrowed to 99 width, or a 99 that has a Jigmaster right side plate, is known as an Albacore Special.
Ron
Here are some dimensions for comparison. I will not post other reel parts that don't belong with these reels and try not to confuse you  ;) ;D
These are with Tiburon frames:
P21  (501).... 1 5/8"   wide
P29  ( 99 ).... 2 1/8"   wide
P20  (500)....2 7/16"   wide

Newell made some wider versions, but we'll stick with Tiburon for now.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

DaBigOno

What hasn't been said yet that might help ... is known as an Albacore Special.
Ron

To add a little confusion to all this,

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=253.0

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 27, 2016, 06:57:26 AM
I will not post other reel parts that don't belong with these reels and try not to confuse you  ;) ;D

Sal

Here are some parts that don't belong to these reels that might make it as clear as mud.

Penn 30-66 stand
Penn 37-65 frame post

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Alto Mare

No, those are relate. I was talking about the spinner parts above...good luck trying to fit them in the 99 :-\.

Sal

RowdyW

Quote from: DaBigOno on January 27, 2016, 02:50:08 PM
What hasn't been said yet that might help ... is known as an Albacore Special.
Ron
The photo of the stan looks like a 65 not a 66 stand.

To add a little confusion to all this,

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 27, 2016, 06:57:26 AM
I will not post other reel parts that don't belong with these reels and try not to confuse you  ;) ;D

Sal

Here are some parts that don't belong to these reels that might make it as clear as mud.

Penn 30-66 stand
Penn 37-65 frame post

RowdyW

That didn't post right but the photos show a 65 stand not a 66 stand. But they are both the same width but the 66 stand is stronger & a rod clamp can be added.    RUDY

DaBigOno

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 27, 2016, 03:00:08 PM
No, those are relate. I was talking about the spinner parts above...good luck trying to fit them in the 99 :-\.

Sal

That's too funny,  i didn't even notice those gears in Daron's photo.

Quote from: RowdyW on January 27, 2016, 03:15:12 PM
That didn't post right but the photos show a 65 stand not a 66 stand. But they are both the same width but the 66 stand is stronger & a rod clamp can be added.    RUDY

Hi Rudy,

Not to debate with you on the stand, but...

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 27, 2016, 06:47:48 AM
Quote from: steelhead_killer on January 27, 2016, 03:11:09 AM
Ok trying to wrap my head around this model:

Use 500/501 plates, will the new plates from Cortez Conversions also work?
Use a Tib frame and spool for the Jigmaster 99
Use the AT gear sleeve
Use the 5+1 drags stack
Can I use the Pro Challenger double dog bridge?
Use the Pro Challenger 4:1 gear and pinion

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Andy

Yes Andy, you could use the double dog bridge and other parts mentioned above. Mike and myself have noticed that one of the dog on these custom bridge is catching a little on the custom plates.
You would get away without doing anything, but I'm sure it would bother you as it did us ;D.
Here is a pick of what should be done:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16099.msg171235#msg171235
Mike also mentioned the sleeve ratchet, I personally didn't have any issues with it and don't believe that the sleeve ratchet being a hair wider would cause any, but see it for yourself.
The spool on the 99 kit from Tiburon (P29K) will be a little loose with Tom's plates. Tom has a washer that could be added on the spool shaft to pick up the slack, I simply place a piece of Delrin at the base of the bearing cup, those are leftovers from stamping my  Delrin washers.

Sal

Thanks Sal this response is a good information and a good reminder.  I was not confused by the Spinning reel gears lol.  He will have to try harder next time. 
><)))">

RowdyW

First time that i've seen a 66 stand with open sides like a 65. All the 66 stands I've ever seen or owned had closed sides. The open sided one must be a scarce version.    RUDY

Bryan Young

Depending on how I tilt my head, I also see 99

::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Is 99-03 with a backwards 3 a secret part?  ??? ::) ;D :-\ ;)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 27, 2016, 05:11:12 PM
Depending on how I tilt my head, I also see 99

::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::)
I'm just glad they're both facing the same direction ;)