D.A.M. Quick 110N -- Bullet Proof Little Microlite

Started by foakes, June 28, 2014, 01:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I am restoring and old DAM Quick 220 for a guy on this board -- which had some parts missing for years.

Might do a tutorial -- so you can all see that these are really good reels.

A lot of people pass on these reels at yard sales, because if not ever serviced with modern methods and lubricants, the old brown grease has turned to beeswax -- or because they think they do not look cool.

To me, plastic or graphite is not cool -- just my opinion.

But think about it for a moment -- what other reel is fairly readily obtainable -- costs $10 -- $30 -- and when you put another $20 bucks or so into it -- will perform flawlessly for another 30 years of steady fishing?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Wow. What an organized shop. Beautiful cabinet storage, etc.  And I see you utilize the plastic jars as bins as I do.  I can't bear to throw them out. I use them for plastic bait storage, jig head storage,etc.

I have a really large reel of this type I set up for shore casting. Looks very clean. I have no idea how I acquired it. I do know who to contact for help though. It may need drag work at some point.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Glad to help with the Quick --

Should have everything to put it back to as new.

Which model number is it?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Hi Fred, I just walked out to the reels cabinet to find it again.

I forgot how great of condition it is in. Couple of paint scratches on the reel seat is all. Cranked it a few times and it turns real smooth.

Dam Quick 550.

foakes

You don't need to take it all of the way down -- unless you want to.

They need service after being stored --

Break it down to remove the gears and bearing --

Clean the bearing in lacquer thinner or brake cleaner -- rinse out completely.

Soak the gears, oscillating arm, worm drive, etc. In the same solution to remove all of the old grease.

Clean the drag system -- reinstall new HT-100s with Cal's drag grease.

Reassemble the reel, using light Yamaha Marine grease on the bearing, arm, gears, interior casing.

If you want the bearing to run more free -- lubricate with synthetic oil, or a oiled down mix of grease and oil.

Oil the spool shaft, check out the function of the bail, adjust and oil the trip lever, etc.

You are basically good to go now -- if you need any parts, have any issues, advice, or whatever -- let me know.

You can even send it to me for a complete overhaul, if you wish.

The reel is as tough as they come.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Rancanfish

foakes

--------

Fred O.

Doug

Hi Fred  The 110n looks like it has very robust internals even a versa type drag. How does the 110n compare size and speed wise to say the 722z or 420ss ultra lites ?  Doug

foakes

Hi Doug --

All excellent reels.

722Z -- 9.75 oz -- 5.0/1 -- reg spool -- 17 years out of production

420SS -- 8 oz --  5.3/1 -- skirted spool -- 22 years out of production

110N -- 8 oz -- 4.75/1 -- reg spool -- 27 years out of production

The 722 is not actually a true microlite -- slightly larger frame and a little heavier.

All of these reels are benefitted by drag upgrading to CF greased. 

Another excellent and slightly smaller Quick Microlite is the 1000 or 1001 series.  Later production, still all of the cutting edge simple engineering, skirted aluminum spool.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Igor Peric

Fred,

Fantastic colection! Museum of D.A.M factory  :)

handi2

All I can say after looking at the immaculate organization of the parts is I thought I had OCD..!!

I named my reel business OCD because I am very meticulous about cleaning every little part and try to be perfect on each reel. Fred's organized parts bins are just awesome. My stuff is piled in Plano boxes.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Plano boxes work really well, Keith --

I use quite a few of them also.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

basenjib123

I have been trying to get my hands on some of those old Library Card Catalog cabinets that you have, perfect for storing stuff,  no luck so far. 

foakes

I was able to get my two organizers from Fresno State College, when they went to an electronic file system for their new library.  

Paid around $100 each -- each weighs in at about 300 pounds, and each has 60 drawers about 18" X 5".

One has plastic drawer insides, one has all wood.  The wooden one had those stainless steel rods for the library index cards.  Took those out.  They make great shish kebab skewers for the BBQ -- if anybody needs any.

At the same time I bought 4 old drafting tables with drawers.  I put new tops on them made with Melamine, trimmed them out with Oak, repainted them -- and they make great reel work benches.  $25 each + the upgraded tops.

Then there was one of those old school library tables for $35.  It had a white birch top, solid dovetail construction, with 8 under drawers for storage.  Brought it home -- wife sez "what the H*** do you think your going to do with that?!!".  I explained to her my idea of making a dining room table out of it -- she was a little doubtful -- but went along somewhat.  I bought a new hardwood plywood birch top, trimmed out the edges with solid birch, stained & lacquered it, put a solid piece of 1/4" glass on top, painted the frame and drawers underneath, replaced the door pulls with antique bronze hardware.  And she has loved it every day for the last 13 years.  Made some solid birch chairs -- stained to match.  Turned out nice.

Sue really likes the storage in the drawers for seasonal placemats, candles, cloth napkins, etc...

Check with local libraries, schools, school surplus, ebay, Craigslist -- you might find some of the organizers.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

broadway

Awesome Fred! Did you rob a library to get those card catalogs? ;D
Thanks
Dom