bearings

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessie Hunter

The two types of bearings normally used in Reels are 'Radial' bearings & one way, 'Roller bearings' (anti Reverse).

'Radial' bearings are interchangeable if the size is right... ID x OD x thickness...

You can see the diff types (Steel, Chrome, Hybrid, Full Ceramic) at Boca Bearing site...
If course the Full Ceramic can be expensive and way overkill for normal Reel use. 
$79 to $100+ Each...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Brendan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgbWhXc6_SE&feature=related

I just thought this was kind of cool, I know fishing reels don't have 8 identical bearings like a skateboard but when I'm cleaning bearings I wish they did. 

shelby.hong

Very good knowlege for reel bearings,alan. you looks more professinal than us. :-\
www.isutami.com
shelby.hong@gmail.com
Bearing manufacturer since 1980

lpquick

What do you use to lubricate anti-reverse bearings in bait casters and spinning reels?

Nessie Hunter

Reel X is good, or TSI 301 if you have it....  Light oil, not grease!!   
The rollers have to move slightly (not just roll)  and grease is to thick to allow them that freedom...

If you have a one way Roller that is slipping or not working, try cleaning it out real good and adding a couple of drops of Quality light oil...
If that doesnt work, they are probably to worn and need replaced...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

lpquick

Thanks for taking the time Nessie.

StuPidaso

Hey alan, i was doing a service on my torium 20 was just doing the bearings. I replaced the factory bearings with the sealed ones from smothdrag. I've pulled the bearings apart cleaned and oiled them. Now heres my question, in your tutorial on bearings you said
Quoteto get the maximum amount of protection, i always go back to yamaha outboard engine grease.
now this is were im confused, do you pack the bearings back into the (left side of the spool) with grease? Secondly,I put the spool back together on to the frame to test the free spool and it doesn't sound smooth and gets about 20sec of freespool, with out the pinion or anything else attached. Any thoughts to better the free spool?

JGB

On the Toriums we usually open clean and oil the spool bearings. These bearings include the left side plate bearing and any bushings or bearings under the tension knob. Any other bearings are packed with grease.

Your free spool should be fairly quiet. Be shur you cleaned and oiled the left side plate bearing and lossen the tension knob when you check free spool. A good thing to do is to also clean the bore of the pinion of any grease or dirt. Oil the spool shaft with TSI or a good light reel oil and you should be good to go. If the noise continues you may have to go back and re clean the bearings and/or replace the offending bearing.

Good luck,
Jim N.

StuPidaso

Thanks, thats what i was i thinking with the bearings. I think i got a bigger problem after reasembling. In free spool, when i turn the handle the spool starts turning slowly. I've cleaned the pinion gears(even polished the insides),cleaned and oiled the spool shaft. I can hear a slight rub sound when i turn the handle. Im guessing the shaft is bent, i removed the tension cap and spun the spool and it seemed fine. Looking closer i noticed a tiny woble in the shaft(very sublte). what do you guys think? I dont have a lathe to fix it. It free spools ok, should i just call it good? how much is a new spool assembly?

Irish Jigger

Any chance you may have bent the  spool shaft when removing the bearing retaining pin?

StuPidaso

Its possible, I cleaned it out again and removed the side plates on the bearings and everthing is working good. Maybe i got something in the bearings first time i cleaned them. Im looking to get a better oil, something faster. Im using reel x right now, was looking at the Ts301? or something like that. I've read about xtreme + but this is for my jigstick and want something that holds up better in the salt. Any suggestions?

alantani

reel x and corrosion x are quick and easy.  stick with those for now.  tsi 301 is pretty expensive. 

and welcome!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

TSI301 has been the best that we have used.  With ReelX and CorrosionX the next best.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

true, but it's still pretty expensive.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

StuPidaso

Yeah it looks a little pricy, but i only service my own gear so it should last me a while. Do you use the aerosoles or the liquid stuff? Do you order it from there website?