bearings

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

StuPidaso

alantani

nagz

noob question,
how do i lubricate bearings with corrosion x?
do i just point and spray or use just a little, as i have heard that only a small amount (a drop or two) should be used on bearings

regards

alantani

i just drizzle it through and let the excess drain out over an old rag.

nagz

thanks alan

i was thinking that it was blasted through the bearings and then air was used to blow the remnants out. 

cheers

p-deverett

Alan, I've been servicing a couple of penn internations and have pulled the metal sheilds off one side of the bearing and will pack with grease as these are my trolling gear. The sheilds are pressed in and are damaged once there are removed so I can't reinstall, should I remove the sheild from both sides or just the one side?

Thanks
Peter

alantani

you need a bearing packer.  i am hoping that tom will get them done soon.  i have been out for quite a while. 

p-deverett

So Alan I preume that means don't take the sheilds off the other side of the bearings as the sheilds are damaged in the process and can't go back on and wait for a bearing packer?

Thanks
Peter

redsetta

G'day Peter,
A bearing packer can be used effectively on shielded bearings.
However, I remove all shields and replace only occasionally.
If you're keeping these well maintained, ditch the shields, pack 'em with grease and you're done... ;)
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

the idea is to have shields on the bearings to hold in the grease.  the pressed in shields pose a particular problem.  that is why the bearing packer is essential. 

LBG Saul

I've only just read this thread after servicing three reels. On all three reels I've removed all bearing shields and hand packed with grease or corrosion x (depending on bearing type). Now I'm freaking out a bit as I've discarded all the shields... surely if I continue to clean and regrease regularly there shouldn't be too much of an issue?
Cheers,
Saul

alantani

correct.  if you are going to be serving alot of reels, a bearing packer is really helpful. 

doncharron

I'm a greenhorn asking a question, so please forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else. Ive been reading a lot of posts on here and have come  to the conclusion that I should pack all the bearings with grease except for the spool bearings. Is this correct? If so, is this the same for all types of fishing reels (freshwater, saltwater, Spinning, Baitcasting)? I specifically have an abu garcia revo sx and revo s for fresh water and the occasional saltwater.

Love this site, alot of good information to absorb.    Thanks!!!!!!!!