Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Big Tim

Great reels guys, love the Baja Special.

Tim

This ones not very old but it came out of the Crown Royal bag looking reel nice for sitting nearly 20 years  ;D

Bill B

So on the way home from work today, I stopped by a pawn shop in downtown Sacramento, really just to look around  ::), and spy this rod and reel, I could see it was a cradle reel and what I though was a run of the mill Deep Sea 49, I nearly lost my balance lunging for the set up, and with trembling knees saw it was a Nep-Tuna, knowing little, but enough to know the Nep-Tuna is one of Mike Cacioppo's (Penn Chronology) side hobbies, so it was good enough for me   :D  I looked at the price tag expecting to see $100 or more but found the tag to read $29.00  :o  Grabbing it tightly, walked up to the counter and asked if he would take $25  8)  The clerk said we just listed it on Craigslist for $25   :D  I tried to get a little more because it had 3 of 5 eyes on the Key Lime Pie colored Johnny Walker rod broken....but he wouldnt budge   >:(  I i bit the bullet and dropped a whopping $27.50 for the Nep-Tuna and what turned out to be a Master Mariner 349HC....maybe we should start a new topic for the cradle reels, I know Dom has one in progress and Mike has a full rack, but then again it might take the cradle reel market and send to the rafters.....Bill  Plus Im gonna have a lot of questions on restoring this one.  ;D

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Superhook

Terrific At Rescuing Fishing Units ,

You THIEF  !   ;D   You won't be able to sleep tonight.

Ray

Dominick

Great find Bill.  I solved my twisting by drilling and tapping a screw through the cradle and rod. I am taking it with me to cabo next week.  It has a 9/0 on it and I left it stock.  I'll see how it works and report the way it worked when I post my fishing report.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Thats good news Dom and good luck in Cabo make us proud or at least jealous  ;D

Ray yes Im not gonna sleep very good tonight....kinda like sleeping Christmas Eve after opening a present.... ::) but what is scary is the pawn shop wanted $29, and that would have made them a profit and dropped it to $25 and still expected to make a profit.....wonder what they payed for it  :'( 

But did take the 349 apart and so far the shopping list will be CF drags to make a 5 stack, a dog because the previous owner cut off the tip so it will not disengage with the lever, one side plate screw which broke at the head and needed a dremel to grind off the broken screw slot and an inner tail plate ring which has a small crack...with the exception of the broken screw this old girl will still catch fish.....I did notice the Nep-Tuna frame was drilled for either a 349 or 49 which opens some possibilities, but expect this frame to do best with the 349......Bill

The Great Maudu

What a great find Bill. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Nothing cooler than a cradle reel.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteGrabbing it tightly, walked up to the counter and asked if he would take $25  Cool 

I almost fell of my chair when I read that you were trying to negotiate $4.00 off a $29.00 price tag that was attached to a item that has the potential to sell at $250.00 plus. ;D You are a better man than me. I would have paid that $29.00 and ran out of the store and not slowed down until I got home. Then I would have checked to see if I was being followed by the Police.

Great deal Bill. The first thing you should check is if the cradle is drilled out for a 349 originally. Most that I have found with 349's mounted are converted from an original Penn 49 mount.

What you found was what I feel is the first release models. They were not anodized and the rod tip ferrule was a friction lock rather than a threaded locking ferrule.

Very hard to find original units with the rod tip. I think I would clean it and restore the rod tip for display and make a second tip if you want to use it.

Great find!!!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'll see how it works and report the way it worked when I post my fishing report.  Dominick

I will be looking forward to that report.

thorhammer

steelfish

Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 20, 2016, 02:22:16 PM

... I would have paid that $29.00 and ran out of the store and not slowed down until I got home. Then I would have checked to see if I was being followed by the Police.

hahaha, I felt the same way when I found my newest Baja Special on an old milk crate on a yard-sale, I didnt even tried to negociated a bit or buy anything else, just took it, paid for it a drove home, then at home I started to yell, YEES!! DAAANMM!!

by the way, super great find, love the how unique is that cradle rod
The Baja Guy

Bill B

Thanks for the comments guys....I did check the rear view mirror a couple times just to make sure the police went following me  ;D 

Mike I believe you are correct this was originally a 49 package, when I removed the 349 the frame looked like Swiss Cheese, with at least two screw patterns.  I have a 49 that I will try to match up. 

I will give a full report and move this discussion to the fishing poles section this weekend....Now how do I explain this to the wife..... ???   Bill

RowdyW

Bill, I don't think $25 is going to be to hard to explain to the wife. If it is send it to me, I don't have a wife to explain to for anything I buy.

Big Tim

Bill, if you really think your going to get into trouble with the wife I'll give ya $50 so you can show her a profit  ;D Nice find.

Tim

steelfish

sometimes the problem is not the $25 cost but the idea to Bring another of those ugly, smelly and old rods (or reel) to the house.
so, Im with Bill... good luck buddy.

PS: normally when this happens I just tell the wife that its a rod or reel that was brough to me to fix it, few days later the mistery owner dont want to fix it and just want the half of what he paid for it, then Im almost obligated to take it.

The Baja Guy