Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Swami805

Got this today too. Absolutely mint 6/0 with beautiful dark maroon plates. No a scratch on the chrome

Be using this for my narrow kit so if anyone is in need of an aluminum 6/0 spool graphite bars, reel seat and clamp let me know. Pictured next to a CC yts to show how dark the plates are
Sometimes you win sometimes well?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

broadway

Looks like a late forties model (surfmaster 150). If all the parts are there I'm sure you can get it it purring again.
Plenty of vinegar and simple green and you'll be all set.
Have fun!
Dom
PS- the worse off a Reel is the better it feels when you get her to look respectable and function properly.

swill88

Got my first mottled spool model. This reel is in great shape and under $15.

Anybody know if this is the proper stand?

Steve

mo65

Nice score Steve. I believe that stand is correct, it's the 180 freshwater stand. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

AC49

Hi All I have a question regarding Penn 49 click button 36-60. Please see attached photo. I haven't seen this type / shape in the 49 reel before. Is it something someone has seen before on these reels ??
Regards
AC49

nelz

Hmm, interesting, almost looks like someone filed the edges into that shape...  ???

Swami805

Those crop up now and the on a few reels from that time period. I asked the same question awhile ago but can't find the post. Not super rare and on a few smaller reels too. Nice find and worth having in your collection
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: AC49 on May 14, 2018, 06:44:48 PM
Hi All I have a question regarding Penn 49 click button 36-60. Please see attached photo. I haven't seen this type / shape in the 49 reel before. Is it something someone has seen before on these reels ??
Regards
AC49

That hex click button showed up on early 40's reels...you'll see them on the Sea Gates. Apparently they made it onto some 49s too.

I have a "just as you found it" score here myself. This 349H popped on fleabay for $25 or best offer. I offered $15...the seller countered with $20...shipped it was a total of $28. Very seldom can you get a reel this clean for 28 bucks, unless Ted is asleep, HA!!! 8)

AC49

Quote from: Swami805 on May 14, 2018, 07:48:21 PM
Those crop up now and the on a few reels from that time period.
Thanks for the info, but what time period are we referring to Swami805 ?

broadway

Mike just sold one with that hex clicker.  '42 (or thereabouts) I believe is the year for these clickers.
Nice  find,
Dom
PS- Mo strikes again!

Tightlines667

Quote from: AC49 on May 14, 2018, 06:44:48 PM
Regards
AC49

I have a ca. 1942, model 49 with the same hex clicker.  They do show up on a few of the other reel models from this period from time-to-time as well.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

mo65

Quote from: 1badf350 on May 14, 2018, 10:27:52 PM
Are mottled Squidders common?

I've never seen one...got a pic?

1badf350

I may be looking at it wrong. Not really the same "mottling" as we are used to seeing
By the way, nice score on that 349 Mo!!

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

mo65

Quote from: 1badf350 on May 14, 2018, 11:09:55 PM
I may be looking at it wrong. Not really the same "mottling" as we are used to seeing
By the way, nice score on that 349 Mo!!

That's interesting Chris, at first I'd just mark it off as faded plates, but the chrome is awfully good for an old faded reel. I've seen other plates with light swirling in them, not exactly mottled, but not a single color either. It seems the employees could sneak some cool creations past quality control in the old days. I'm still looking for plates with a coin or something pressed in. :D