Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

Found a guy with a pair of Internationals that he had acquired from the widow and she in turn was off to assisted living, so my guy, the moving guy was told "Take them if you want them".  He had a high retail idea, but really no interest in the tackle.  We haggled a bit came to a number that we both liked and closed the deal.
An original 50 and a 130H, both on custom rods with similar wraps and removable butts, unfortunately the unlimited rod is sans butt, it does have however FIN NOR-TYCOON marked guides that put it in a rather narrow time slot.   I sold off the 50 and am into the 130H for skinny dollars.  The missing butt I hope to replace with a #6 straight version.  The 130 came with a large envelope of parts from a recent rebuild
Doomed from childhood

54bullseye

You gonna part with the 130 combo ??? If so I am your man $$$   John Taylor

Cuttyhunker

Hey Bullseye,
You were going to be my source for the butt ;D
Doomed from childhood

54bullseye

Still can be ! If you don't want to part with it !!

54bullseye

Pretty sure I have the older school solid aluminum but with chromed brass reel seat that will fit it. Might have straight and bent version.

Reeltyme

Trade him Cutty. That Big buck he's holding has a beautiful rack! Would make a nice addition to your game room! The 130 looks pretty clean and the rod is in great condition.

oc1

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on September 06, 2021, 06:51:09 PM
it does have however FIN NOR-TYCOON marked guides that put it in a rather narrow time slot.
What time frame is that.  Do those predate the white ones?

Cuttyhunker

Left my Tycoon book in Florida Steve but, I bet Reely or Bullseye can chime in on the brief marriage of the Fin Nor and Tycoon. The reel was built from 72 through 88.
Doomed from childhood

thorhammer

John, any chance you have a double-roller Tycoon stripper laying around?

John

oc1

I heard that Tycoon is being reborn.  That probably means that someone bought the rights to the name.

Benni3

Cuttyhunker

Thanks Benni

Steve,  If it is being reborn I hope the quality remains, often not the case of legendary trademarks being bought out and the name returned to the marketplace, ie pre CBS Fender, pre Monterey Blackfin, Pre Remington Parker etc.  The "Pre's" made the legend.  Hmmmm maybe pre series 2 Penn's?
Doomed from childhood

Swami805

John is this the stripper guide you're looking for?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Sheridan, yessir. If you're willing to part with it PM a price & shipping. I have a rod built in Morehead City prolly 40-50 years old that wasn't well wrapped, but has aluminum butt with heavy chrome seat (not the Varmac with stamped hoods) and it has all single rollers. Will pair pretty well with a Shimano Triton 50 TTS I have; altho not a period match it will slay.

John

Swami805

Send me your address, John, on the house.
Do what you can with that you have where you are