Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

That handle in that size is new to me, of course, I have zero shelf queens and don't know much of Penn history except what I get pounded into my head from Ted (something about Ford?)

Lovely reels there my friend.

Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Penn Chronology

OK John, that's enough... I know what you did. You found a manufacturer that was willing to build new reels for you that look like old reels. These :P :P cannot be real reels, really!!!

broadway

Insane, John! The box condition is really nutso!
They must have been sitting next to Stalin since the early 50's in that glass tomb.
Glad they found a good home.
Thanks for showing,
Dom

nelz

Quote from: 54bullseye on November 13, 2021, 09:11:50 PMHere is one "Just as I found it " I got it with a first gen 12/0 with box and a 16/0 Ocean City 616 with the box and a pull handle on it !! Enjoy !  John Taylor

Can you describe how you felt when your eyes first beheld these beauties, realizing you had a shot at buying them?  :o

54bullseye

Believe me I had to pay up for them LOL !!!! The 16/0 Ocean City 616 is really nice to. I will take some pics to post soon. Thanks for the praise !!!   John Taylor

Crow

My "Main Man" fishing buddy just arrived on the island , on Tuesday. He knows I have a "thing" for Penn reels, and picked up a couple at a yard sale, in his neighborhood (Port Huron, Mi.), and gifted them to me ! That's pretty neat, in itself, but, they are 113HLW's...two of them, both on Senator 6, and aa half foot, roller rods ! A matched set, and neither looks like they were ever fished ! All the paperwork, manuals, and tags are with them, too! I tried posting some pix, but they don't seem to "stick', so I'll try again with the pix, later. I do need to change the line on at least one of the combo's, as the mono (looks to be about 40#), is pretty stiff, although it doesn't seem to be "flaking into powder". Probably use braided line, maybe 50#, and as much as it will take to fill that wide spool....I better start saving my money !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

nelz

Wow, what a friend! Sure would like to see the photos.

* You know, you can open a free email account (MS, Yahoo, etc) and they come with plenty of cloud storage space where you can store photos. You can then link the images to your posts here. That works!

Maxed Out

Arlyn, your "main man" fishing buddy is worth his weight in gold !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

You are correct ! He's been a good friend, and fishing buddy for ten years! We met on the beach, here on the island, struck up an amazing friendship, that seems to "overlook" our differences, and "magnify" our similarities! It just proves that you meet the best kind of people while fishing !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

El Pescador

Quote from: Crow on February 05, 2022, 03:52:03 PM
       My "Main Man" fishing buddy just arrived on the island , on Tuesday. He knows I have a "thing" for Penn reels, and picked up a couple at a yard sale, in his neighborhood (Port Huron, Mi.), and gifted them to me ! That's pretty neat, in itself, but, they are 113HLW's...two of them, both on Senator 6, and aa half foot, roller rods ! A matched set, and neither looks like they were ever fished ! All the paperwork, manuals, and tags are with them, too! I tried posting some pix, but they don't seem to "stick', so I'll try again with the pix, later. I do need to change the line on at least one of the combo's, as the mono (looks to be about 40#), is pretty stiff, although it doesn't seem to be "flaking into powder". Probably use braided line, maybe 50#, and as much as it will take to fill that wide spool....I better start saving my money !

Here are a few photos from Crow, I'll let him tell us more....

AND for the visually impaired, like me, here is a close-up of the rod line weights.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Crow

Thanks , again, for posting those, Wayne !!

nelz

Holy cow, that's a heck of a gift! Now you're gonna have to get out on the ocean to put 'em to the test.  ;D

El Pescador

Quote from: Crow on February 06, 2022, 05:47:26 PM
Thanks , again, for posting those, Wayne !!

Crow!  My pleasure to assist.  Easy to do, and DONE.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Crow

I freed up the roller guide,(have the tip to do, yet), and pulled the mono from one of the combo's, pulled it down far enough to give the gearing and drag washers  a once over, and grease job, and have some braid "coming". When that gets "done", I'm ready to do some "rig fishing". It's been so windy(and rough!0 that us "fair weather sailors" haven't been out to the rigs yet! I will say that the surf fishing, this year, has been disappointing....nobody is getting much action, and those "real sailors', that have been out to the rigs and reefs, haven't been exactly tearing them up, either . I would like to get out, into the "deep water" reefs, but it's doubtful that will happen, this year.....It's a shame to waste those wide spools on 50'60 feet of water :D