Shimano Tyrnos 20 - Tutorial Preview

Started by Bryan Young, January 19, 2011, 08:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cfarmd

did you ever finish? haha ;D

i am about to take apart and service a couple tyrnos 30 2 speed reels i bought used. is this something i can attempt with minimal experience or should i take the reels to a pro? I have followed a couple other tutorials with success but have never messed with a 2 speed reel.

also, how should i go about assessing the integrity of the drag washers? i was pleased to hear the stock drags are carbon fiber, but i will replace them if needed. what should i be looking for that might indicate a need to replace? i read earlier in this thread about some flaking issues. also, if they do need replacing can i use the tld carbontex drag washers? if so, which ones will fit the tyrnos 30? i appreciate the help

JGB

CFA,

The tutorials are pretty clear. For the missing parts the TLD 30 II is almost identical as far as the gearing and such are concerned
A couple of notes to help you along:

When greasing the drags be gentle as they will fall apart easily (this is normal).
If the drag material comes apart and is adhering to the pressure plate then you may have  a defective drag disk. Shimano may replace the drag disk if this is the case.

Jim N.

cfarmd

thanks for those tips, i will probably give it a try soon

does alan have a tutorial for the tld 30 II?

cfarmd

ok just tried to work on my reel and now the drag won't work. Tightening the drag knob does increase the drag pressure, but i get no difference regardless of the position of the lever. I also cannot put the reel into free spool. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? I've had this problem before with other reels but i can't remember how i fixed them...thanks!

akfish

Check the simple things first. Is the cam in correctly? Did one of the spool bearings get left out? Did the teflon washer under the lever get left out? Are the belleville washers arranged correctly?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

cfarmd

i guess my first thought would be the cam...it may have gotten "caught" when putting things back together. I will have to break everything back down and check. Man that thing has a LOT of screws...

cfarmd

update:

I am still having problems. Broke everything back down and reassembled. I am almost certain everything is in it's proper place.

Problem: I still don't have any free-spool. The problem seems to be in the drag knob. I know reels should be placed in free spool when disassembling the lever drag. Why is this? It seems like the positioning may be off, as in the lever isn't in the proper position that corresponds with free-spool. Any thoughts/ideas on what is going on and how to fix it are much appreciated.

I am somewhat new to servicing my own gear, and there is a learning curve with everything. I have had this problem before with other reels and it seemed to resolve itself after I messed around with it long enough. I would really like to understand what is going on as I think that would help me to prevent the problem from reoccurring in the future. Please bear with me and Thanks for the help!

alantani

the lever has to be in free and the cam has to nest inside the lever.  that is the position needed to give the reel freespool.  sometimes the cam is damaged.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cfarmd

Quote from: alantani on October 10, 2011, 01:57:23 AM
the lever has to be in free and the cam has to nest inside the lever.  that is the position needed to give the reel freespool.  sometimes the cam is damaged.   :-\

ok Alan, do you have another thread somewhere that would explain how to make sure the cam is nested inside the lever? I think this is the problem, I just don't know what I am looking for when trying to fix it. I don't think the cam is damaged as everything worked fine prior and I didn't do anything to it...

alantani

you know, i actually don't, but here's a photo with the lever in the proper place.  the cam drops right in.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

outsiderskip

bryan
when are u going to finish tyrnos 20 tutorial
i just bought a reel and need a service after 4trips
or has some else got a full tutorial on tynos 20
pete

erikpowell

If you need bearings for these, Dawn at Smooothdrag has them:

Order 1 bearing set #78  (1ea 9x20x6 & 7x14x5)
              and 1 set #44  (1ea 7x17x5 & 7x14x5)

This applies to both Tyrnos 20 & 30 single speeds

Erik

Bryan Young

Quote from: outsiderskip on December 31, 2012, 11:35:02 PM
bryan
when are u going to finish tyrnos 20 tutorial
i just bought a reel and need a service after 4trips
or has some else got a full tutorial on tynos 20
pete

Hi Pete,

I don't know how I missed this....a year later.  arg.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8918.0 covers the Tyrnos 30.  Same reel except 20 is narrower then the 30.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

maxpowers

I was wondering if someone who has a tyrnos or tld20 could check what the dimension of the handle post?  I was wondering if a replacement tld or tyrnos handle would fit on a seigler reel.  The seigler reel handle post is 6mm x 6 mm.  Thanks