Live Bait Caster 259, 259L

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

This is the background of my build.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9874.0

I since changed to a red spool. I built an exact reel in lefty for my son except his spool is new and mine is faded pink now.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

The catalog cutout I posted on page one of this thread is right out of the 1940 Penn Catalog #8. This reel is a all steel gear, 3 to 1 ratio reel in its 1940 build style from Penn. I find most Pennheads have not realized the potential of the Live Bait Cast, except for Bryan and Aiala and understandably so. The Model 259 was technically put out of production in 1958 to make room for the Jigmaster 500. Everything about the Jigmaster 500 mirrors the Live Bait Caster. They both use the same stand, spool and cross bars. Their side plates are the same diameter with the same hole pattern.

Penn placed the Model 259 Live Bait Caster in the Long Beach family of reels; but, I really believe it belongs in the Senator family. It is just like a Wide Model 110 aka 1/0 built a little faster than the slow 1/0.

There is one fact that I find interesting about the Model 259. The only parts on a Live Bait Caster that carry a Model 259 Part Number are the head and tail plate. All other parts are borrowed from other Penn models. This reel is made to be customized.

basto

If this reel belongs in the Senator family, then I guess the Long beach deluxe might also, with it`s double rings and 6 screw stand.
Forgive me if I digress, but had to mention the schematic I have for my 3/0 Senators shows a 4 screw stand.
The two 3/0 Senators I have both have 6 screw stands.
regards
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

QuoteIf this reel belongs in the Senator family, then I guess the Long beach deluxe might also, with it`s double rings and 6 screw stand

Go to the Long Beach Deluxe, Model DL60 thread for some info on the relationship between the Long Beach Deluxe models and the Senators.

basto

Thank you Michael. I am learning all the time.
regards
Basto

basto

My 259 arrived yesterday and I opened it up last night to find a leaf spring that fell out on opening.
The parts diagram that I have shows a coil dog spring and a different looking dog to mine.

Very happy with the reel. It is showing signs of it`s age on the outside, but is very straight and tight and operates very smoothly.
It is the first Penn for me with a stippled head plate and the tail plate is beautiful.They were the main influences in me buying this reel.
It has leather drag washers and steel gears and all inside is in great condition.
Thanks
Basto

Bryan Young

Thanks for the history of the 259. This was my very first casting reel for ulua fishing and caught a few tasty fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

basto

Hi Bryan
Yes, I like this reel a lot. A couple of things on it I haven`t seen before are a recessed area under the drag star wheel, presumably to adjust spacing?
and a large letter B stamped under the handle arm and of course the leaf dog spring.
I will post some pics soon. I was going to put 500 spacer bars and an alloy spool on it, but I think I will just put a new stand on it and keep it stock now.
I have plenty of reels to fish.
cheers
Basto

sdlehr

Quote from: basto on May 10, 2016, 04:32:04 AM
a recessed area under the drag star wheel, presumably to adjust spacing?
Basto
Basto, that recessed area is to clear the metal collar in the head plate; I guess there wasn't room for a wider spacing sleeve... I don't remember which, but a few of my reels have this.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

basto

Thank you Sid. I`m learning all the time.
Basto

mizmo67

Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 01, 2016, 01:21:42 AM
QuoteI think the Long Beach 259 live bait caster and the Long Beach Deluxe are two very different reels.
The 259 came in one size and the Deluxe came in three sizes.
cheers
Basto

Basto, you are correct. There is no Deluxe in a Model 259 Live Bait Caster. The Long Beach Deluxe is a different animal.

I've added yet another postit note to update the specs for the 259 and separate out the Deluxe.
Never ends, lol.
My project pile, not counting two monitor screens full of digital post its, is 6" thick.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

basto

Quote from: mizmo67 on May 12, 2016, 04:40:00 PM
Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 01, 2016, 01:21:42 AM
QuoteI think the Long Beach 259 live bait caster and the Long Beach Deluxe are two very different reels.
The 259 came in one size and the Deluxe came in three sizes.
cheers
Basto

Basto, you are correct. There is no Deluxe in a Model 259 Live Bait Caster. The Long Beach Deluxe is a different animal.

Thank you very much for your efforts. You are greatly appreciated! and thanks for always getting my parts to Australia so promptly.

I've added yet another postit note to update the specs for the 259 and separate out the Deluxe.
Never ends, lol.
My project pile, not counting two monitor screens full of digital post its, is 6" thick.

basto

OK, I changed my mind about the spacer bars. All stock except for the bars.

I am very happy with it.

sdlehr

Quote from: mizmo67 on May 12, 2016, 04:40:00 PM
Never ends, lol.
Thanks for helping us out, Mo!

Quote from: basto on May 14, 2016, 05:01:27 AM
I am very happy with it.
As you should be! Nicely done! I recently purchased one I'm going to spool up and take with me on the pier.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

basto

I fished off piers when I was a kid. I wish I had a pier closer by now. Great fun talking to other anglers and comparing notes.
good fishing
Basto