61-62-63 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Right, Joe --

1943 Steel Cents...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 22, 2016, 05:55:16 PM
   I would like to point out that Penn gave us a good hint as to which years the LB 60 & 65 had plastic spools as a standard component and offered metal for an additional cost.

In my opinion the 60 & 65 switched over to plastic spools sometime in 1941 and did not transition back to metal spool on the 60 & 65 until 1949.

It took a few years of recovery before small companys like Penn could obtain all the metals needed to make their products after WWII. Penns plastic spool had a much larger arbor than the metal spool and that reduced line capacity. Penn hesitated to reduce the listed yardage on the L.S. models made prior to the war, but after the war they came clean and relisted the LB60 yardage as 200 and the LB65 as 250 yds, because of the large arbor on those plastic spools. Let me remind everyone that the LB60 was always listed as a 250yd reel and 65 as a 300yd reel. The reduction of yardage in the catalogs just after the war reflected the smaller capacity from the large arbor plastic spool.... By referencing the Penn Model years in mikes book(back section), one can conclude that Penn put plastic spools on the 60 & 65 thru 1948, and offered metal spool for additional cost. Then in 1949 the 60 & 65 returned to metal spool and went back to being 250 & 300 yard reels and plastic was no longer an option on the long beach.

The boxes from these years(46,47,48) also show that Penn wasn't proud of their plastic spools..... those boxes did not say anything in reference to the plastic spool except less line capacity than before, but in 1949 when they switched back to metal spool they proudly printed it in big letters across the front of the box.

Sorry for the run on sentence, just trying to explain my reasoning and experiences with the long beach.

Ted

Well said, Ted. The only other pieced of missing information is that in order for the plastic spools to be strong enough it was necessary that Penn increase the circumference of the arbor. A plastic spool with an arbor as large around as the arbor of a metal spool would have been worthless.... so it was the switch to plastic that required an increase in the dimension of the arbor so that the plastic spool would have at least a chance of performing well; I'm sure there are some broken plastic spool tales out there even with the larger diameter arbor....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 22, 2016, 09:55:44 PM
The Plastic spool seams to be in two halves with a 1/32" hole in the center.

Joe

that is correct Joe

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

George4741

Quote from: sdlehr on August 22, 2016, 07:58:26 PM
I'm sure there are some broken plastic spool tales out there even with the larger diameter arbor....

Sid

At least one.::)  Here is what I found when I removed the line from this Long Beach 60.
viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

George, it looks like that spool exploded when wet mono was wound under tension and then allowed to dry. This was the downfall of the plastic spool and even the original 3-piece metal spools. Penn would later recommend that linen line be washed, dried and re-spooled after each use - because wet linen broke down and lost strength (it rotted). The one-piece spool design strengthened the spool and kept it from blowing up under heavy load, but the linen line still decomposed just as quickly. Mono line and one-piece spool construction fixed both problems.

Sid
Sid Lehr

George4741

Sid, I bought the reel with braid on the spool.  It turned with great difficulty and when I removed the line this is what I found.  The braid was wound loosely on the spool which makes me wonder if someone was hiding something....
viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

I hear you, George, but if we assume the braid was once wound on tightly and then the spool flange separated, the spool then would be very tight and hard to turn and at the same time the line would loosen up around the spool as the spool took up additional area after it broke, and that would make the line appear to have been wrapped more loosely. I wouldn't necessarily jump to the idea that the seller knew the spool was broken.

If this is a shelfie some super glue may make a good restoration, then just wind the murderous line back on and you're good to go for a great display for a few centuries; Good luck finding a replacement spool if that's the way you decide to go.

Too bad it's totally worthless as it it  ::); I'll take it off your hands for a small fee and you'll have less to worry your life.

Sid
Sid Lehr

George4741

Maybe I was too hasty with my accusation. ::)

Yes, it is a shelfie and I am considering gluing the spool together. 

As far as worries go, if you can persuade a petty bureaucrat to get off my back, that would go a long way in lessening the worries in my life. ;D

viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

Quote from: George4741 on August 23, 2016, 04:10:40 PM
Maybe I was too hasty with my accusation. ::)

Yes, it is a shelfie and I am considering gluing the spool together.  

As far as worries go, if you can persuade a petty bureaucrat to get off my back, that would go a long way in lessening the worries in my life. ;D

So let me get this straight, you are soliciting me to break some knees in exchange for this reel. Does that sum it up? ;) Accepted. Dominick? What would your cousin Bruno charge to do a side job for an old Jersey boy? :) :)

Sid
Sid Lehr

Dominick

he'd do it for a Long Beach in good cosmetic condition.  ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

Quote from: Dominick on August 23, 2016, 10:40:47 PM
OK then, you should put him in touch with George. I was looking for a little something in it for me :)
Sid Lehr

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

Dominick

Quote from: sdlehr on August 23, 2016, 10:55:09 PM
Quote from: Dominick on August 23, 2016, 10:40:47 PM
OK then, you should put him in touch with George. I was looking for a little something in it for me :)
You get respect otherwise fugedaboutit.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

George4741

I was wondering what are the widths of the LB62 and 63?  I want to know how they compare to the LB61.  If Michael or anyone else can measure the pillars I would be very grateful.   
George
viurem lliures o morirem