500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timosuna

All the main parts I saw when I took it apart were numbered.

thorhammer

Hey Tim! How about that Abu in back! Love those.

John

MarkT

I wouldn't use the Newell drag washers... greased Penn HT-100's or Smoothdrag Carbontex are much better!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

timosuna

Mark, I agree that the carbontex is better in a working reel. I've been putting them into my own stuff when it's time to change them out. This one will probably just sit so any drag washers will be better than the plastic things that came out of it.  At least now the handle will turn properly if someone picks it up.

Thorhammer, Good eye! That Abu 6500C may be going up for sale.   The dirtier one sold already.  It came in in the same batch. The one in  the picture has a 1966 imprint on the foot. it appears unfished or if so, very lightly fished by a grandma or something. Lol. It's really clean. There were two in a box of stuff that came from an ex-neighbor. Lots of interesting things in the box. The 500 in box in my post, another of same era that's a little rougher.  Two very clean 209M Peer reels (one in box), two of the 1966 Abu 6500C 9no boxes),  Clean Shimano Custom 6000 spinner from the late 80's with a Bob's bait and Tackle (San Diego area) price tag still on the foot, and a few other tidbits.  There is a Heddon Pal Reel and matching rod that's pretty cool as well. That one might go on my office wall.

Tim

thorhammer

PM if you decide to let it go, please :)

John

timosuna

@Thorhammer Sent a PM a few days ago but no response.  Getting ready to sell 6500C and a few other things.

Dominick

Quote from: timosuna on August 19, 2022, 06:59:08 PM@Thorhammer Sent a PM a few days ago but no response.  Getting ready to sell 6500C and a few other things.
Don't give up on Thorhammer.  He is very dependable.  If the 6500C is the reel he wants please hold it for him.  If you need payment right away I'll send you the money. He sometimes travels for work and can't check in everyday.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

Quote from: timosuna on August 15, 2022, 12:30:45 AMMark, I agree that the carbontex is better in a working reel. I've been putting them into my own stuff when it's time to change them out. This one will probably just sit so any drag washers will be better than the plastic things that came out of it.  At least now the handle will turn properly if someone picks it up.

Thorhammer, Good eye! That Abu 6500C may be going up for sale.   The dirtier one sold already.  It came in in the same batch. The one in  the picture has a 1966 imprint on the foot. it appears unfished or if so, very lightly fished by a grandma or something. Lol. It's really clean. There were two in a box of stuff that came from an ex-neighbor. Lots of interesting things in the box. The 500 in box in my post, another of same era that's a little rougher.  Two very clean 209M Peer reels (one in box), two of the 1966 Abu 6500C 9no boxes),  Clean Shimano Custom 6000 spinner from the late 80's with a Bob's bait and Tackle (San Diego area) price tag still on the foot, and a few other tidbits.  There is a Heddon Pal Reel and matching rod that's pretty cool as well. That one might go on my office wall.

Tim
There was also a Bob's B&T up in South OC (Lake Forest) at El Toro/Rockfield that was my local tackle store while it lasted.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

Apologies, kind sir. We didn't get around to price, then I wasn't feeling well a couple of days and didn't get back to it. The Counselor is correct, I had a drop-in crisis in Canada I leave for Tuesday and prepping for that took what energy and focus I had. I think you may be north of where I want to go on the platform for this particular project, and I wish you good luck on the sale.

Dommie, that was a very appreciated vouch on my behalf, thank you.

Thanks also to Ted, who contacted to me to let me know status.

regards,

John

thorhammer

Hey Tim- what you're describing would for me prolly be a shelfie, and you are correct in that those fetch a price. I'm looking to fish, so for shelfie pricing I'd pay a few more bucks and go up to a fishing Mag Elite with UC spool design. Again, good luck on the sale.

John

Dominick

Tim, are you playing games or do you really want to sell that reel?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

timosuna

Am I playing games?  Wow brother. No. Been busy over the weekend. :-X

Thorhammer asked about it, I answered him. He declined and now the reel is on Ebay.  Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what it's worth.  There are others on ebay in lesser condition that are priced into the stratosphere. I put it up there with a buy it now of $285 which is less than the others (which I feel are fishing so to speak with inferior quality reels.) Will see what happens.  There are over 20 people watching it last time I checked.  Check the pics. I can sell it off Ebay to save the tax if anyone is interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125472778393

thorhammer

Tim, that's a really nice example- I certainly wouldn't have fished it.

timosuna

Thanks!   They ex-neighbor handed me a couple old crown royal bags with some other stuff and I didn't even see what was in them until I got home. That one on Ebay is really nice.

Tim

MisterStinky

Hi,

I have just received a 500L jigmaster that I would like to put back into use. The spool has side to side play (at least 3mm) even with the bearing (part 40-60) fully tightened.

Looking at the schematic I notice that I do not have a bearing spring (part 41-60) and also do not see it in Alan's tutorial. My question is should my reel have this spring?

Thanks