113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaeagle2

Is it common for the eccentric 14-113 to become rounded so the reel won't shift into freespool, or did I do something wrong when I put mine together.  I just got back from a couple days of halibut fishing, and neither of my reels would shift into free spool. when I got home and took one apart the part of the eccentric than the lever fits on was sort of rounded so the lever was moving too far "into" gear, and not far enough "out" of gear.  I worked around it by loosening the drag to let out line, but it was a pain as we drifted off the humps down slope.  One of the other guys on the boat got a 25lb, but three guys 2 days one fish was slow.  But today on Puget Sound, we got 5 limits of spot prawns....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Sounds like the clutch assembly. If you have the stainless yoke, soften the edge with a file or sandpaper, also check the jack if it's bent. You shouldn't shift the lever if it talkes lots of force to move it, you'll do more damage.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

seaeagle2

So I've figured out why it won't shift into freespool, but I don't know how to fix it.  It seems like the pinion gear is sticking too high into the bridge assembly.  If I push down on the pinion gear with the reel disassembled, it shifts fine.  If I don't push down on the pinion gear, it won't shift.  I have a stainless black pearl gear set, a stainless yoke, double stainless dogs, and a stainless shaft. I don't think the excentric jack is bent, it lays flat, I was wondering if its the little tabs on the end but I'm not sure how far up they're supposed to be bent.
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Black Pearl

Quote from: seaeagle2 on May 08, 2013, 09:58:02 PM
So I've figured out why it won't shift into freespool, but I don't know how to fix it.  It seems like the pinion gear is sticking too high into the bridge assembly.  If I push down on the pinion gear with the reel disassembled, it shifts fine.  If I don't push down on the pinion gear, it won't shift.  I have a stainless black pearl gear set, a stainless yoke, double stainless dogs, and a stainless shaft. I don't think the excentric jack is bent, it lays flat, I was wondering if its the little tabs on the end but I'm not sure how far up they're supposed to be bent.

If you use the original main and pinion gears, does it work?

Alto Mare

What you're explaning about having to press on the pinion is normal. Black Pearl is on the right track, try different parts and see what happens. I have tested the gears myself and worked flawlessly.
Take a closer look at the yoke, you will notice that one side has soft edges, keep that side up. If that doesn't do it, try a different jack.
Don't be surprised if the reel works normal after  putting it back together as you have it  now.

I just pulled them out to compare with the standard Penn's, I did not see anything in hight

I did notice that Black Pearl's pinion has a narrower groove for the yoke,  I'm talking a hair. I don't think that would be the cause.
Mine did fine, but I did not take them on the water as you did.  your test is more accurate.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

seaeagle2

First off, I would like to clarify that while I was fishing, this reel had another set of 4:1 helical gears non black pearl non ebay guy.  It wouldn't go into free spool.  When I got back, since I had the reel apart I put in the Black Pearl gears, still the same issue, but NOT caused by the Black Pearl gears, and I'm sorry if I gave the impression that it was the BP gears.  I took you guys advise to heart and started swapping some stuff. The first thing I swapped was I put in a standard Penn Yoke to replace the Stainless yoke, now it's working....When I saw your pictures and you were using the standard penn yoke I started thinking......

Black Pearl

No problem, my friend. I am gald that you found the main cause of the problem.

Thanks,
Alan

broadway

Mitch,
   I had the same problem with the stainless yokes I got... it made the free spool lever really tough to engage and disengage, eventually it locked up.
I did the same as you and swapped the yoke out to the original Penn yoke and perfect.  I wanted to stainless so I took a dremmel with the felt-ish tip and polished the yoke to a gleam and walla!
If that doesn't work throw some toothpaste for grit on the yoke edge and polish with that.
Give it a shot,
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: seaeagle2 on May 09, 2013, 01:32:32 AM
First off, I would like to clarify that while I was fishing, this reel had another set of 4:1 helical gears non black pearl non ebay guy.  It wouldn't go into free spool.  When I got back, since I had the reel apart I put in the Black Pearl gears, still the same issue, but NOT caused by the Black Pearl gears, and I'm sorry if I gave the impression that it was the BP gears.  I took you guys advise to heart and started swapping some stuff. The first thing I swapped was I put in a standard Penn Yoke to replace the Stainless yoke, now it's working....When I saw your pictures and you were using the standard penn yoke I started thinking......
My standard penn yokes are just for the pictures, I only use the ss yokes with ss gears. Just sand them or buff them, I'm sure you'll find a way to make them work.
My 114H's had the same issues, they're working just fine now.

coralsea

Greetings to everyone,
I have used Penn 114H in good shape.
My question is the following-how can I determine the condition of the graphite washers in it?
I ordered recently two new graphite washers (I need 3, right?).
Should I replace the old washers with the new ones or not?
Here is the picture with the condition of the original washer:

no pain-no gain

Bryan Young

coralsea, that is actually a rubberized fiber washers with metal shavings.  It was commonly used in the past.  Order up some 5-stack washers set or if you want to go more, I have a 7-stack for smoother drags and higher range if needed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coralsea

There are lots of Kits on Ebay, which one (not expansive) should I order?
no pain-no gain

Shark Hunter

This is the stock penn 5 stack kit that you need.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PENN-Reel-HT-100-DRAG-WASHER-Kit-Set-for-114H-114HL-114HLW-115L-6-114HSP-/151204026784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23347659a0
This is a newer drag kit with carbon fiber washers and is a lot better than that old three stack asbestos unit you have in there, It will fit fine, make sure you lube the drags with Cal's drag grease.
You will have 5 carbon fiber washers, three flat metal washers and two flat metal eared washers.
The washers go in the gear with a carbon washer first, then a flat metal washer, then carbon, then eared metal washer, carbon washer, flat metal washer, carbon, eared metal washer, then carbon washer and flat washer. If you need any more help, let me know. ;)
Life is Good!

coralsea

Thanks, will look with the shipping to Russia.
no pain-no gain