113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

A lot of people don't like the aluminum bars...why is that?  I like the aluminum bars versus posts.  Any reason other than corrosion?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jamisjockey

Hey all.
New to the board. Just acquired a few off season 113's on ebay.  Besides pitting and wear and tear they seem to be in good shape with good lockup and drag, but I'd like to still take them apart and at least lube them right.  Is there a full tutorial from start to finish on these reels?  This thread is definitely informative, but I'm still nervous to tackle this product!
One of the reels I got has a little squeak in it, and that'll likely be the first one I attack.

Shark Hunter

Welcome jj,
All the senators basically use the same parts. If your 113's are the black ones. The parts will still be the same. Just your drag stack will probably use 3 instead of a 5 stack.
Browse the Senator Section and go for it!
Life is Good!

alantani

yeah, but if you can fix this, you can fix anything!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Long Enuff

Thanks to all of you, I am hooked!

thorhammer

Yes, it was cheaper before I found this site....

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

bobka2

Once I had disposable income, then I decided I needed to cast 500'. This lead to a bunch of abu 6500s. Thanks to Alan's tutorials I can rebuild one of those quit fast. A friend retired, he bought a boat, he needed a grandchild wrangler for Bouy 10 season who could handle the boat just in case, so here I am, just rebuilt a Long Beach I bought abused 25 years ago. and a MXJ6 I got off ebay, Jim likes to drive his boat around, albacore, I figure that a 113 or 114 would be ideal for trolling for them. Between fuel, bait, my gun habit and my desire for used reels to rebuild I may well have to get a job, I thought I was done with that, forever,

anglingarchitect

Know what you mean still working at 65, but can't afford to be unemployed with all my hobbies/lifestyle expenses.

Daegu

Thanks for the directions.  They were easy to follow.

I did, however, have one issue once I completed the last step.  I went to function test it and noticed that it was freespooling just fine, but when I flipped the lever to retrieve, it kept freespooling.  Frustrated, I took it apart at least three more times to figure out what the heck I was doing wrong.  Before getting so frustrated that I did something stupid like crossthreading something, I went off to the pub and had a couple pints and went to bed.

The next morning, I realized that I had the drag all the way out.

>:(

bobka2

Gman_WC

I'm trying to upgrade a used - new to me 113h narrow in a Tiburon frame and it's giving me fits.  I've taken it apart 20 times now.
and can't get all of the washers to fit inside the sleeve and finally got out my caliper out.
I'm going Gear: Carbon-ssKey-Carbon-ssEar-Carbon-ssKey-Carbon-ssEar-Carbon-ssKey
My question is should all of the SS washers be the same thickness?
I'm getting
Keyed = .040
Eared = .0345
I bought SS Gear Kit  with sleeve last year this time and just making the discovery now!

I should have know it was bad news when I bought it at a garage sale with the pink pro gear handle on it that didn't fit.
-gary

Walnut Creek, CA

RowdyW

The top CF washer can be partially above the gear. The top keyed washer will be above the gear. This is all normal. Install the coned washer, spacer sleeve, bevel washer, & star. Screw it all down snug. then remove the bevel washer & star wheel. Place a O ring or rubber band above the sleeve to keep everything compressed while you assemble it into the reel. After you tighten down the bridge in the plate you can remove the band or O ring & finish assembly.         Rudy

Gman_WC

Got it. Happy B-Day to me!
New ss guts, Cal's greased carbon drags, Sal's arm, and last but not least... the oversized handle.
Backing it today and topping off with some 20# for salmon trolling the Marin coast.
Weird year, lot's of big fish stacked up at Dux already.

-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Rancanfish

Nice job on that reel.  I was thinking my narrow 113 would be great for salmon, too.  Because I drag balls.  I haven't heard about stacked big ones...where you getting this info? 

I'm south of you 20 minutes. Just sayin'.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.