Postin Photos

Started by Jerseymic, July 28, 2017, 07:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Mike: I have been considering what happened when you tried to attach that picture of the Senator & you didn't think you had done it, but it showed up in the postings after you posted it.

It seems to me that, when you attempt to attach a photo to a typed post, then try to preview it before you post it, the preview does NOT show the picture, although it may indicate a name or file location for the picture.  However, when you actually post it, the picture will be there.  Unfortunately, I have tried several times to recreate  this scenario, and, for whatever reason, I cannot get my "Preview" to display!  So, let me keep trying to find a comment/answer to you issue that will be at least a little more enlightening.

Frank

Jerseymic

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your help once again, like I said I have no idea what is happening!

It would be nice and simple to just be able to attach a couple of photos through additional options, but as before, I can get the file name in the attach box but there is no button to get it in the post.

Just a thought, do I have to be authorised by the forum to attach photos, because I don't know if I am.

Thanks again,

Mike.

happyhooker

Here is a visual of how I attach photos with a typed post.  These are screen shots off my computer as I was doing this:

1st pic below shows me typing a reply--see words typed in the white box.
2nd pic below shows what happens after I clicked on "Additional Options..." (again, see words typed in white box).
3rd pic below depicts my computer screen after I have clicked on the "Choose File" box.  An "Open" box has appeared, showing the place on my computer where I had stored some photos for a Shakespeare reel overhaul tutorial I had done a couple of weeks ago.  I select one of these photos to attach.
4th pic below shows the what happens after I selected a Shakespeare reel photo from my computer.  Again, see the words typed in the white box.  The photo does NOT show up, but the name of it does.

If, after you get to the point depicted in the 4th pic below, you click on box at center bottom that says "Post", your written post should be posted to the site, with the photo(s) selected attached.

As far as I know, you need no advance permission from the AT site to be able to make posts with attached photos.

See if this helps any (my fingers are crossed).

happyhooker

For whatever reason, if I click "Preview" instead of "Post" when I get to the point depicted in the 4th pic (see my last post to this topic), nothing happens.  I suspect "operator error" on my end, but maybe the site is having trouble of some sort.  I have clicked on "Preview" before for some previous replies, and seem to recall getting something to preview.

Jerseymic

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the very informative instructions.

My additional options is slightly different to yours.

After I click on additional options, I get the greyed out attach box with a browse button after it, no choose file anywhere, but it seems like using the browse button I get the same results as you, I will try it here.

Mike.

It worked!!! I don't know why I don't get choose file as you do.

It would still be nice to see the photos when you preview as it happened with photobucket

Thank you again.

Decker

Quote from: happyhooker on August 09, 2017, 04:42:00 PM
For whatever reason, if I click "Preview" instead of "Post" when I get to the point depicted in the 4th pic (see my last post to this topic), nothing happens.  I suspect "operator error" on my end, but maybe the site is having trouble of some sort.  I have clicked on "Preview" before for some previous replies, and seem to recall getting something to preview.

There is a rendering process for the preview that is slow when photos are involved.   With four photos it is probably very slow.  I'll keep an eye on this the next time I post pictures to see if I can learn anything more to share.  /Joe

Decker

Quote from: Jerseymic on August 09, 2017, 06:23:32 PM
After I click on additional options, I get the greyed out attach box with a browse button after it, no choose file anywhere, but it seems like using the browse button I get the same results as you, I will try it here.

Mike.

It worked!!! I don't know why I don't get choose file as you do.

It would still be nice to see the photos when you preview as it happened with photobucket

Okay, I understand now why included PhotoBucket photos showed in the preview... it is because they are included as links to the PB site.   If you want to continue o work this way, either post your photos to alantani.com first in Gallery, or use another photo site like IMGUR.   Here are instructions for uploading photos to Gallery, and then including them as links in posts:   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22216.0

I'm not sure why the "choose file" would be grayed out.  I checked your account and it is allowed.

Jerseymic

Thank you Joe for the explanation on how to get photos into the gallery, with the help from Frank and yourself I think I will get there!!

Mike.

happyhooker

I see the difference between what you get, Mike, and what I get under the "Additional Options..."  Not sure why it is that way, but, as you have found out, it may only be a slightly different path to the same result.  Could be different computers, browsers, etc. between what you use and what I use.  I have a Windows 7 operating system and typically use Opera as a browser.  I think I will experiment with some of the other browsers I have & see what happens.

I believe we're pretty close to getting this one resolved (knock on wood)!

happyhooker

I tried logging in the site with Mozilla Firefox; after clicking on "Additional Options...", I get an "Attach:" followed by a gray box that says "Browse".  When I click on the "Browse", I can select a pic off my computer & attach it & it posts OK.  So, that looks kinda like what you get, at least a little & not quite the "Choose File" I get using my Opera browser.

Jerseymic

Hi Frank,

I use windows 7 Pro and internet explorer, so like you say it is likely the browser.

Thanks again for helping out this technology dummy!

Mike.

happyhooker

Well, Mike, I hope between the 2 of us, we have gotten a handle on this.

I opened my Internet Explorer browser, which I seldom use, and started a reply on this site; clicked "Additional Options..." and got a screen exactly, or nearly so, like the one you get.  So, the browser used does make a difference.  I would not have expected that.  I guess we both learned a little something new.

Jerseymic

Strange how the different browsers show different things!

Thank you again for showing me how it works.

Mike.

Shark Hunter

Glad you got it worked out Mike.
Life is Good!

Jerseymic

Thanks buddy, I really struggle with technology, I'm the sort of guy that likes to plug it in and it works, it is said that technology is supposed to make life easier!!!!!!

Mike.