Old, Weird, Historical, and Unusual Spinning Reels --

Started by foakes, August 26, 2017, 06:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Yeah, Tommy, I don't doubt for minute what you say about the cutthroat competition in the time frame you describe.

Do you know: when did Shaky buy out Pflueger, and was the Pflueger line included in the exclusive right-to-sell deal w/ KameApart?  Just thinking; maybe Shakespeare was willing to let their name-branded reels go with the right-to-sell deal, while they kept the Pflueger line (which, as you know, after the buyout, contained many reels virtually identical to the Shakies) to sell outside the scope of that deal.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Shakespeare bought Pflueger in '66, but part of the agreement was that Pflueger would retain it's name and headquarters until '69. As far as the spinning reel aspect of the buyout, Pflueger came out with a Supreme line of spinning reel that were exactly the same as Shakespeare's 2052, 2062 & 2081, The Supreme numbers  were 550, 551 & 600, respectively. Same reels but they were priced higher than the comparable Shakespeare models. The Supreme spinning reel line only lasted a couple of years. Pflueger also marketed a Medalist Auto fly reel that was the same thing as the Shakespeare verticle Tru Art. In '69 Pflueger became a "Division of Shakespeare" and their reel manufacturing was moved from Akron, Ohio to Fayettteville, Arkansas, and in '70 Shakespeare's headquarters was moved from Kalamazoo, MI to Columbia, SC. At the same time Shakespeare's reel manufacturing became affiliated with Omori Mfg. Co of Japan, thus the beginning of Shakespeare and Pflueger reels being made in Japan. I'm not aware of Pflueger Supremes being sold through KMart as they were promoted as a higher end spinning reel, even though they were the same as the comparable Shakespeare models. Remember, though, the exclusive Shakespeare/KMart deal came a little later in 1970. I'm sure Japanese made Pfluegers were probably sold through KMart.

That was all separate, and post, Noris Shakespeare Japan & England. Noris Shakespeare is a totally different story and animal.        
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

OK, few honest fisherman (obvious oxymoron) will admit to ever using a cheap Zebco reel...

I get that --

However, you have to hand it to a company that started here in the US, after the War -- and has sold more reels worldwide than any other manufacturer in history, kept their price point low -- and has introduced more young people and kids to angling than any other tackle company, ever...

Here is a neat little Zebco XR11 spinning reel.

Simple, good paint, decent gears, metal body, plastic sideplate, minimum of things to go wrong.

Still works perfectly.

During the War, Zebco in Oklahoma, made very capable parts for the military effort that had to do with bombs.

After the war, they switched to peacetime production of fishing reels -- hence the name ZEBCO (Zero Hour Bomb Company).

Here is a page from the '77 Zebco catalog --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

I will admit to it Fred. ;)
I never knew Zebco stood for Zero Hour Bomb Company.
Life is Good!

mo65

I'm a big Zebco fan...collect some...use some...I have a Bill Dance Gold 733 I use for wacky rigs on every bass trip. Here's a few personal favorites. The first pic is a little kid's 76. My first reel was just like this one. The second pic is a beast of a fishin' reel most folks have no clue of. That 733 Hawg was tough...an excellent reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Thanks, Tommy, for the Shakespeare/Pflueger info.  Pure has both now & still, I think, promotes Pflueger as a "premium" reel.

When I posted about "Bud Adams" fishing tackle earlier, it got me to thinking who he was.  I'm a little disappointed.  I ran across some info posted by someone who had worked for Yellow Front for many years & he seems to recall there was no "Bud Adams", it was just a name someone, probably in marketing, came up with because it sounded American & a "good" name for a fisherman.  The pictures of "him" show an old guy in a long-sleeved shirt, wearing a Stetson-type hat that might of come from the '40s.

happyhooker

Ron Jones

Who new ZeBCo was an achronym?
Way cool, thanks guys.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Lunker Larry

ZEBCO..way cool..who knew

I've had a Forester reel since the early 70s that I got I believe at Kmart. It has a lot of miles on it and I now use it for ice fishing. Not in the vintage class you guys live in but I can't find anything to alieve my curiosity about its origin.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Lunker Larry on September 19, 2017, 12:46:44 PM
ZEBCO..way cool..who knew

I've had a Forester reel since the early 70s that I got I believe at Kmart. It has a lot of miles on it and I now use it for ice fishing. Not in the vintage class you guys live in but I can't find anything to alieve my curiosity about its origin.

From the early '70s and sold mainly in Canada. It was more than likely made by Daiwa given the raised "BALL BEARING" molded as part of the body. Daiwa put that on a lot of the reels they manufactured. The bail plate also looks Daiwa-ish from that time frame.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Hey, boys & girls, if you want to see a weird and historical reel with a full explanation about it, look at the post about "Older Abu Garcia Info Needed."  Thanks again, Tommy!

Frank

Lunker Larry

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

handi2

Here is few I found in an old Budweiser beer box. They haven't been opened since I moved to Gulf Breeze 18 years ago.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

More

Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

More
Gulf Breeze, FL