Penn 9/0 reel needs drag service do I dare??

Started by rebait1, April 07, 2019, 05:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebait1

So my friend has a sentimental rod and reel that needs some work. Age unknown. I want to help fix it up but doesn't seem to make financial sense to ship it to Penn. I see new ones occasionally coming to market in low $100 range. And with new drag kits going for what $40 even that is giving me pause. So do you all think I can take off the handle drop out the washers and have a sporting chance of re-assembling without ending up w a box of parts??

The reel is a 9/0 and is actually in good shape. The clicker and free spool are smooth.. The drag spins freely but when I tighten down it goes from no drag to heavy drag in a short distance and clearly surges.

Paws, and enjoy Life !

alantani

all the information you need is here.  this is what we're here for!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

The answer to your question is YES!! 

Any who have the ability to post & type here can do this. Use your camera on your phone to take pics as you go. If you Futz it up come back explain whats happening & you will be guided through to reel Nirvana... Jeff

rebait1

Thanks for the encouragement!! I did watch a vid or 2 of a full 9/0 rebuild. I guess I should look at it this way.
If I screw up I can always ship it to Penn (next door) or carry in to my local shop.

Paws, and enjoy Life !

rebait1

Any idea how old this reel is?? I presumed from last millennium.BUT........Seems in way too good shape? The dacron is beautiful and seems brand new!
Paws, and enjoy Life !

Dominick

Mystic sells a set of drags with metal washers for that reel for $13.85.  That's all you need.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

rebait1

Paws, and enjoy Life !

nelz

The drag disks on that reel are the easiest of all to get to. They are easily accessible by just removing the handle and star, no need to take the whole reel apart. The only issue I can see would be if the old disks are stuck in place...

Dominick

Quote from: nelz on April 07, 2019, 06:52:38 PM
The drag disks on that reel are the easiest of all to get to. They are easily accessible by just removing the handle and star, no need to take the whole reel apart. The only issue I can see would be if the old disks are stuck in place...
While this is true, it would be best to take the whole reel apart and give it a full service.  Go slow and look at Alan's tutorials.  It will show the trick to put it together.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

you got this....and we got you if you don't.

akfish

Let me echo the idea of a full service. If it is older 9/0, then it has a three-stack of asbestos drag washers, and odds are that at least one is stuck -- meaning that you'll need to disassemble the reel to remove the old nasty drag washers. But fear not: These are very easy reels to work on and if you have questions, send an e-mail or give a call. Good luck, and Tight Lines!
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mo65

Yep...I agree...if it's worth new drags...it's worth a good servicing. You'll most likely be shocked by how few parts there really are in that reel. Knowing it's been assembled right really builds confidence in your reels. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

When doing the full service, as well as a new drag stack —

A new under gear washer is recommended also —

(3) ways to go —

Stock new friction washer — install dry.

CF washer — install lightly greased.

Delrin washer — install dry.

Wherever you ordered the drag stack from — order an under gear washer of your choice also — it is just another dollar, or less — and they will not ship out the order until early tomorrow morning.  So if you do it today — no extra shipping cost.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

The older 9/0 has bushings and you could get away with servicing just the drag washers

Your 9/0 has bearings and should have a full service including the bearings
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

rebait1

handle set screw 2 washers and cylinder came off AOK

1st batch of drags (2) and washers (2) looks good

These 2 washers very distorted

Besides for those 2 washers everything else looks amazing

As I look at the reels dacron and these drags I'm uncertain as to when this was last serviced. Reel is at least 35 yrs old

Paws, and enjoy Life !