Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

Quote from: ClintB on December 24, 2019, 01:26:36 AM
I found this little Shimano 10 at an antique shop for $10, I've got a soft spot for some of these older Japanese reels.

Clint,

have you opened that MLZ 10 -- does it have brass bushings on the main gear?

if you're not ready to open the gearbox, yet, could you please do a photo showing:

• top of rotor (spool removed) & bottom of drag knob
  • spool top / drag well  (drag elements removed & spread out, if possible)
  • handle removed (hex or square shaft?)

all in one photo is fine...  I just need a good peek at the general set-up -- not, precise detail
wondering how close it is to the MLX & what's swappable

thanks

EDIT:
found MLX/MLZ schematics (under miscellaneous...  they don't rate their own link :( ):
https://www.reelschematic.com/reel-schematics/shimano-reel-schematics/shimano-misc-schematics/#gsc.tab=0
looks like the 20/200, 30/300 has 2 big brass bushings
& your 10 has 1 smaller bushing made of (?)...  would love to know

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on December 24, 2019, 06:56:32 AM
I can relate to Rolling Rock easier than money.  :)

A man after my own heart...;D

Nice lookin' mini reels Shark and Clint! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

wow.. those are really tiny reels

guys, do you really use those tiny reels?

how small are they compared to a shimano 2500 sonora/sahara? (thats the smallest I would go)
The Baja Guy

Sharkb8

Steelfish
I use it for trout fishing here the fish are small about 2lbs you have to get through thick bush to get to the spots to fish and the creeks are small .so you only need a small rod and reel .
Daiwa BG 2500 next to the Shakespeare  synergy 200

Kim

oc1

Kim,
What's the spool capacity on the little Shakespeare?  Thanks.
-steve

Sharkb8

Steve the little Shakespeare reel holds 2lb/155yds and 4lb/100

Kim

Gfish

Cool, set up like a flyrod or maybe "down under style". Kim, do you get tourists fishing trout there like in NZ?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: Sharkb8 on December 31, 2019, 03:27:27 AM
Steelfish
I use it for trout fishing here the fish are small about 2lbs you have to get through thick bush to get to the spots to fish and the creeks are small .so you only need a small rod and reel .
Daiwa BG 2500 next to the Shakespeare  synergy 200

Kim

thanks Kim for the pics, I actually have a tiny shakespeare reel like yours (actually mine looks "cheap") that came in trade with a bunch of broken rods, it has some 2# line installed but I dont have any reasons or intention of using it on the saltwater (I dont fish freshwater since there is no river, lagoon, dam, etc on a 150 miles radiuos from me).

the smaller spinning reel I have is a Shimano Magnumlite GT-X 2100 speedmaster reel 2/310 4/165, but its on my desk as shelf queen.

I like how you use the spinning reel on that "fly fishing style" reelseat rod, I have a brand new "EagleClaw" Black Eagle 5wt fly rod that I want to modify the reel seat to use it as spinning rod, but after seeing your rod I might just use it as is with a small spinning reels and 6# mono line  
The Baja Guy

philaroman

Quote from: steelfish on December 31, 2019, 07:13:23 PM
I have a brand new "EagleClaw" Black Eagle 5wt fly rod that I want to modify the reel seat to use it as spinning rod, but after seeing your rod I might just use it as is with a small spinning reels and 6# mono line   

if your only/main use for tiny spinners is on a flyrod, instead of modifying the seat

you can just round off the corners of the foot a bit -- still works in a small spinning seat

esp., w/ modern cushioned hoods, you wouldn't even know the difference

just an option for budget disposables or a better model where spare frames are piling up from parts reels

HNY!!!

Sharkb8

Gfish "down under rod" haha .I use to build my own fishing rods and these are good to use one handed with light line. A lot of tourists go to Victoria trout fishing its good there not so much here in south Australia.

Kim

oc1

On many old fly rods, you can drill out the butt end of the reel seat exposing the butt end of the blank.  Glue a piece of hardwood dowel or fiberglass rod into the blank to extend it a foot or so.  Cover the extension with cork or EVA or you favorite grip material.  Replace the striper and first running snake guide with spinning guides.  You're good to go.

For baitcasting you will probably want to replace all the guides.
-steve

wailua boy

Here's a Dam Quick International 10, I just picked up. It holds 125yds of 10lb and 195 of 6lb and features one ball bearing. I picked it up for $5+shipping.

wailua boy

Pics

mo65

That's an interesting little Quick reel...never saw that model before. Great buy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

I've never seen one of those Quicks, either. I saw it on ebay and glad someone on here grabbed it.

Hard to pass up any Daiwa at 2 for $5 plus shipping.  Both of these came by mail this afternoon.  They're about the same size as a Mitchell 300.  Both are fully functional, one has a slightly bent handle, and the other has a tad of corrosion on the bail wire.  Both should clean up and make fine reels for freshwater. Before I bid on them I checked for a schematic online, found one.  No ball bearings but really not surprised.