Penn 500 100% Drag with half turn of star - how to fix it????

Started by El Pescador, June 28, 2020, 12:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

El Pescador

Dr. MaxedOUT??      Dr. MaxedOUT!!!

"I'm not a Doctor, BUTT I'll take a look!!!!" ;D

Ted,

here is the drag stack sequence from the left - Delrin washer, main gear, CF to the last metal keyed washer ontop to the most right

Here are a few photos of the ProChallanger main gear, tell me IF this is what you are looking to view???

Give me a GREEN LIGHT when I can button this up and I'll include the wavy 8-60 place of the HD Belleville washer.

TANKS.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

El Pescador

Quote from: nelz on June 28, 2020, 11:19:29 PM
Does the handle turn smoothly, with no resistance?

nelz,

YES, the handle turns effortlessly, until I spin the star drag less than a half of a turn, then it hits the wall.

Wayne

nelz

Quote from: El Pescador on June 28, 2020, 11:21:07 PM
Quote from: nelz on June 28, 2020, 11:19:29 PMDoes the handle turn smoothly, with no resistance?

YES, the handle turns effortlessly, until I spin the star drag less than a half of a turn, then it hits the wall.

Spin to tighten or loosen? What hits the wall, star?

El Pescador

Spin the tighten.   Once the drag started to contact, it become increasingly harder to turn the handle, until after a half a turn when you first feel drag pressure, you cannot turn the handle any more,

May I say it....  It is MAXED OUT!!!!   or did Ted trademark that name!!!!! ::)

Wayne

nelz

Quote from: El Pescador on June 28, 2020, 11:45:00 PMSpin the tighten.   Once the drag started to contact, it become increasingly harder to turn the handle, until after a half a turn when you first feel drag pressure, you cannot turn the handle any more

Sounds like the star is hitting the sideplate! Slightly longer spacing sleeve fixes that.

nelz

Also adding spring washers to raise the sleeve up a bit would work (as long as the stack doesn't start hitting the plate as a result, which would cause a new problem).

Are you using the stock spacing sleeve? #9-60

El Pescador

No,

I'm using a 12.50mm spacing sleeve from ProChallanger

https://www.prochallenger.com/product/spacing-sleeve/14?cs=true

I have 11.50mm stock spacing sleeve from Penn I can use if needed.

Wayne

nelz

Quote from: El Pescador on June 29, 2020, 12:23:08 AMI'm using a 12.50mm spacing sleeve from ProChallanger  I have 11.50mm stock spacing sleeve from Penn I can use if needed.

Actually, the longer one is better if the star's rubbing the sideplate.

El Pescador

Nelz,

When the star is buttoned-down,

I still have 2+mm of gap/space between the inside of the star and the metal space ring of the right side plate.

Still working on it.

Wayne

Swami805

Might try a smaller O.D. washer under the main gear,one that doesn't stick out past the teeth on the gear sleeve. Don't know if that is the problem but I'd imagine the stock smaller ones are there for a reason
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

nelz

Quote from: El Pescador on June 29, 2020, 01:32:15 AMNelz,
When the star is buttoned-down, I still have 2+mm of gap/space between the inside of the star and the metal space ring of the right side plate.
Still working on it.
Wayne

Okie-dokie I tried. Let's see what they find in person, keep us posted.

RowdyW

Wayne, I still think reply #8 will solve your problem. That's the setup that I used in a couple of 112H's which uses the same drag setup. That should give you about one full turn to full lockdown.

Bryan Young

Is the sleeve hitting the side plate?  I've found that the tolerance stack up can cause the sleeve to bind with the side plate when the drags are tightened because the sleeve does not spin when the drags are tight.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D