Whisker SS

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 07, 2020, 07:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on January 01, 2021, 10:02:31 PM
burnish/polish inside pinion -- that's probably never been done
Really? I figured it was a common maneuver. I polished the spool shaft on the last round. And ive also done the inside of the pinion on one of my penn SS reels. Thank you for reminding me of that. I put polishing compound on a qtip and put that on my drill. I'll do it again for this reel.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

if shaft isn't moving as freely as you want, full-service inside pinion FIRST
roll shaft on sheet of glass to check, but such small, light reel w/ short shaft unlikely to be bent
happens more w/ bigger sizes -- more mass; longer shafts...  "shaft diameter economizing" more of a concern

thrasher

Are both the bushings for the worm gear and pinion gear still there? Or is there binding when you slide the shaft thru the pinion when it's out of the reel?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thrasher on January 02, 2021, 03:14:50 PM
Are both the bushings for the worm gear and pinion gear still there? Or is there binding when you slide the shaft thru the pinion when it's out of the reel?
Yes both bushings are in place. And the slight binding is there when I slide the detached shaft in the pinion. Soni do believe thats the source.

Also this binding is nothing major, the reel is absolutely still fishable. But I'm trying to tune a precision instrument and that just doesnt feel precise. I know it can be better.

thrasher

Well that is a good thing, it does sound like a little polishing is in order. The work I've seen you do on your other reels leaves me with no doubt that this thing will be fine tuned indeed! Keep the updates coming  ;D

JasonGotaProblem

So this reel is exactly what i was looking for. I have it on a 5'6 8# ugly stik rod, and I just caught my first fish. It was a small cat and it was actually kinda fun. Hooking a big snook or a bull red is gonna be a party. But that's the point.

Oh and it casts like a dream running 10# x8 j-braid.

Gonna likely polish out the pinion tonight. See what's what.

philaroman

the fast graphite you want, should be even more fun w/ the little guys

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on January 03, 2021, 01:35:07 AMHooking a big snook or a bull red is gonna be a party.

that's when you want the Ugly, which is basically glass

JasonGotaProblem

So I polished the heck outta the pinion and the shaft, and now it spins like a dream.

JasonGotaProblem

I took this lil beast fresh water fishing for about an hour Sunday for the first time in 25 years. Just throwing some soft plastics I got a few bass hits (water was super clear) but nothing landed onshore. I forgot how fun it was. And there's little bass-filled lakes everywhere around here. No more driving an hour to get to salt water every time I get an itch to go fight something.

And I'm considering a set of full ceramic bearings. Since this uses more common sizes I can do so for about $35, potentially less if an offer (that has not yet been made) gets accepted. I wouldn't do it on a reel used for big grouper etc but for a small rig like this it may be reasonable.

And I've decided I'm gonna look for an 8-10' ultralight ideally fast taper rod for the 650. Ive got the shorter "tight spaces rig" box checked. Now time for the long caster.

Brass gears for the 650 arrive today, so I'm gonna crack that one open tonight if plans hold.

JasonGotaProblem

I opened up the SS600 tonight. (I've been calling it a 650. I've been wrong.) This one's getting its own thread, but it may take a bit to write it up and do a comparison. Very very different inside.

thrasher

I thought we were talking about the JDM this whole time :) The worm shaft gear retainer(key#35) is a pain to remove and install on the JDM, I think they eliminated it in the newer models. I also like the lifetime bail on the JDM, those little flat bail springs almost always break on me. There is supposed to be a very small washer on the tail end of the worm gear that can easily get lost if you are not looking for it when removing the worm gear. I'm also very interested in the pinion gear upgrade so keep us posted on that. Does the 600 has two extra eared washers in the drag stack like the 850? It had one on top and bottom of a normal stack, I'm guessing for extra bite with the spool being graphite. I'll definitely be looking out for the thread, thanks for posting!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thrasher on January 05, 2021, 01:36:53 PM
I thought we were talking about the JDM this whole time :) The worm shaft gear retainer(key#35) is a pain to remove and install on the JDM, I think they eliminated it in the newer models. I also like the lifetime bail on the JDM, those little flat bail springs almost always break on me. There is supposed to be a very small washer on the tail end of the worm gear that can easily get lost if you are not looking for it when removing the worm gear. I'm also very interested in the pinion gear upgrade so keep us posted on that. Does the 600 has two extra eared washers in the drag stack like the 850? It had one on top and bottom of a normal stack, I'm guessing for extra bite with the spool being graphite. I'll definitely be looking out for the thread, thanks for posting!
Yeah i assumed it followed the naming convention of the gold body wood knobbed reels with a line roller bearing got the -50 names. But at this point I'm used to being wrong. It's just a step on the road to being right.

The pinion gear is different in this reel, it is, at minimum, a different height. The main is different too. And all bearings are seemingly different from the 700.

So I guess I got a spare gear set for the 700! Oh well it was only 25. If I screw it up in the salt I got it covered.

Also The screw that attaches the spool shaft to the worm slider is badly stripped. I was not able to remove it to compare worm gears. I need to figure out how to get it out. I managed to clean and re-lube in place but that screws gotta go. And I am missing the tiny washer that sits atop the pinion bearing (key #22) and I believe thats the source of the minor rotor wobble. Hopefully those parts are common to other reels and can be substituted.

And mine was only a 3 stack drag, though it sorta looked like there was more vertical room. And the carbon drags for the 700 do fit the 600. I may seek out more drag stacks but with the carbon it feels overpowered as it is. I may just leave it.

thrasher

Yeah I noticed the screw looked stripped and shields removed from bearings, definitely opened before. I said supposed to be there because the schematics show it but my 850 looked untouched but it was missing also. I just stripped a cheap PS1305 that is about the same gen as our JDM and it had a brass pinion but plastic bushings. I'll measure the pinion and post picks tonight, seems close in size. 🤞 

philaroman

really?  eared on top?  can't imagine how that works ???
guessing it doesn't & that's why the reel got sold

in the common configuration, eared "connects" to spool & keyed "connects" to shaft
if you have eared on top, everything is connected via drag knob & it unscrews by itself, when drag is activated

eared washer to cover the bottom of a graphite drag well is normal
maybe it's supposed to have 2 there to adjust height, or knob bottoms out before max drag is reached
now THAT would be COOL!!!  thinnest CF might give you room to squeeze in a 10-stack

thrasher

I thought it seemed weird as well, that's why I was curious about the 600. I can't find schematics that shows the drag stack.

I didn't even try it, just threw it on a shelf but you're are correct it does loosen up.  Something else I will do tonight, 😆