What to do with a new Penn 115L2?

Started by JasonF, June 11, 2012, 01:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Jason   That`s a teriffic idea for holding those dogs out.
             I recently double dogged a post 1972  9/0 Senator  and  used hands ,feet and elbows to get it assembled, fortunately I have a good deal of patience.
              Maybe I missed it ,but what was the problem with operation after the final assembly?
              Those full aluminum frames are great , although pricey , but I wouldn`t  be overly concerned with the reel seat to frame connection strength. After all The aerospace industry uses composites successfully and our fishing rods have been made of plastic  and now composits for avery long time.  I for one would not go back to the old wooden or metal fishing rods.
              Every thing is a compromise , Abu had some 3 and 4/0 reels with titanium frames some time ago but they were a bit heavy.Tanks though but not popular.
              Have you fished your reel yet ,and how does it perform

Good luck    Buzz
Buzz

john2244

Hello Jason,
I just picked up on this thread and I want to thank you for sharing all of your work with us.  In do so you have saved me some work.
After reading about the 23-116 handle screw not fitting in your SS sleeve I thought I better check the two SS sleeves I received from Alan this week.  Just as you stated, the 23-116 handle locking screw does not fit the SS sleeve, it drops right in.  When I received my SS sleeves the first thing I did was to make sure the handle and star fit OK (which they do) but I did not check the  handle locking screw.  
Again, thanks for sharing your project with us.
John

UPDATE:  The locking screw I checked came from an older Penn 9/0 (1940's vintage).  Because of the age of this reel this handle screw did not have a part number stamped on it, I assumed it was a 23-116.  It seems the old Penn 9/0 locking screw is the same size as a Penn 114H handle locking screw.  I checked the handle locking screw from a newer Penn 9/0 (23-116) and it does fit fine.

John

JasonF

Quote from: Buzz on June 25, 2012, 01:38:19 AM
              Maybe I missed it ,but what was the problem with operation after the final assembly?  Have you fished your reel yet?

Yes I fished it!  Had one hammerhead on it and it performed flawlessly.  Drag was smooth as butter.  I am not going to say that this reel outperforms my Tiagras, but I enjoy fishing with a design that is older than my father but still whips fish ####!

As for the problem, I did not spot it on the water.  If I push the handle toward the reel, an unatural direction to push the handle, The dogs do not engage properly.  If I crank forward like any reel is designed to be, everything works perfect.  I agree with what was said before, I think that I need a shim (thin washer) between the gear sleeve and saddle.

JasonF

Quote from: john2244 on June 25, 2012, 02:26:42 AM

UPDATE:  The locking screw I check came from an older Penn 9/0 (1940's vintage).  Because of the age of this reel this handle screw did not have a part number stamped on it, I assumed it was a 23-116.  It seems the old Penn 9/0 locking screw is the same size as a Penn 114H reel.  I checked the handle locking screw from a newer Penn 9/0 (23-116) and it does fit fine.

John

This clears up alot of confusion.  Thanks for sharing it.  I must have one of the older 116 bolts.

Alto Mare

Not really, I still don't get it why you would have a brand new reel with an older type handle screw :-\ .
Here is the explanation on the handle screw for the 115. read the bottom part.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/23-116.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JasonF

Dammit Sal, you ruined my moment of clarity!!  ;). Atleast I am not the only one to have a bolt labeled 116 that slides into this sleeve.  I give up!!

And BTW Sal, you mentioned having used a washer under your sleeve in your 9/0 thread.  You dont happen to remember the specs of that washer do you?

redsetta

G'day Jason,
Sal may have some specific measurements but, in the interim, thickness will depend on the amount of play you're trying to correct.
ID will be slightly larger than the bridge post.
OD will be equal to or slightly smaller than the instep of the ratchet teeth.
This may be of some assistance: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2417.0
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

Quote from: john2244 on June 25, 2012, 02:26:42 AM
UPDATE:  The locking screw I checked came from an older Penn 9/0 (1940's vintage).  Because of the age of this reel this handle screw did not have a part number stamped on it, I assumed it was a 23-116.  It seems the old Penn 9/0 locking screw is the same size as a Penn 114H handle locking screw.  I checked the handle locking screw from a newer Penn 9/0 (23-116) and it does fit fine.

John

phew!  glad it worked!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: redsetta on June 25, 2012, 04:01:34 AM
G'day Jason,
Sal may have some specific measurements but, in the interim, thickness will depend on the amount of play you're trying to correct.
ID will be slightly larger than the bridge post.
OD will be equal to or slightly smaller than the instep of the ratchet teeth.
This may be of some assistance: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2417.0
Good luck, Justin
X2, good explanation Justin.
Don't get too upset Jason, I'm liking what I see from you  ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 25, 2012, 10:39:41 AM
Don't get too upset Jason, I'm liking what I see from you  ;).

I'm also liking what I see.  You're looking outside of the box.  
George
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

never knew about the 114h.  if a reel was missing a handle nut, i'd just reach into the parts box and grab one that fit.  never paid attention to the number stamped on it.   :-\

see, this is why it's nice having you guys around!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JasonF

Thanks for saying that George and Sal.  Problem solving and improvising are what make things like what we are doing here fulfiling.  

As far as the recent problem goes, I knew that I did not want anything too thick to remove the play in the sleeve so I dremeled an increase in the ID of a Shimano dartanium drag washer.  It was just what the doctor ordered and the dogs now engage no matter what direction I push or pull.

Bruce

Had similiar problem on my 115 with .0205 sleeve end play.
I found a washer that was good for  I.D. and O.D.  , a bit thick but rubbed it doen to .017 on a diamond impregnated stone.Very smooth with just enough clearance

Buzz
Buzz

Alto Mare

Very clever Buzz, thanks for sharing.

Makule

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 23, 2012, 08:48:37 PM
Albert, your comment about the reel being made in China is irrelevant to the issue that Jason was experiencing. His problem was related to a ss custom gear sleeve. It appears that Jason has it all worked out, all is good now ;).

Forgive me.  I was not referring to the sleeves, but to the bolt that hold the handle onto the sleeve.  If this is not relevant, than I clearly do not understand what the problem was/is.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.