BEARING PULLER ANYONE?

Started by LTM, July 24, 2012, 06:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Ive broken 3 modified Penn wrenches and 2 paint can lid openers; Im out of home made bb pullers and materials to make them out of.  Anybody out there with a lathe and some ss stock interested in making some? Any ideas in regards to what's holding-up for you guys?  The paint can lid openers are soft metal and break easily with stubborn bb's and the Penn wrenches distort then fatigue and break as well.  What are you guys using to pull bearings other than what Ive mentioned?  Guess I got to get more Penn wrenches and paint can openers in the mean time.  This sucks!  >:(

Toolless,

Leo

Keta

I've made micro rolling head bars out of sheetrock screws and a belt sander that work fairly well.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

My brother will be making some as soon as we can meet to get him the specs and materials.  Unfortunately, work has been killing him with WORK.  Will be advised.

Also looking into how to harden them, and thats a process in itself.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

I used to have that Problem also...
Been using Picks a lot and they work great.  No problems...

I got this set at Harbor Freight (of course)... 

As you can see the Two that stand out are the best by far for Bearings..

The "Sharp, Pointed, Bent, Hooked" end seems to slide under it and break it loose, then an easy pull up...
So far they have worked on a whole bunch of bearings......

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Makule

QuoteAnybody out there with a lathe and some ss stock interested in making some?

I have both, but you need to give me a drawing or something I can use as a model.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

bluefish69

That so far is all that I have are Picks. Just file, grind or what ever the "L" on the Pick to fit in the hole of the bearing so it makes the turn under the bearing. I work mainly on Newell's so my hook is about 3/16" because of the 1/8" hole in the bearing.

When this Speedy Guy Starts Making Bearing Pullers Again I Want One OR A Set
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Snagged2

I use screwdrivers, that I grind with a dremel tool,, to have a slight finger to grab the ID lip of the bearing,,

Then, I use it like a "slap hammer".. and, hit the bottom of the handle with a light hammer while I'm holding the finger inside the bearing..

it's kind of spastic,, ::) but,, it works very well...

spare screwdrivers are cheap, and plentiful at yard sales,,etc..I should go ahead and build a legitimate slap hammer puller of the appropriate size I suppose!! ;D

LTM

Justin, those look like heavy duty picks on the left.  I have the others on the right and they bend easily so I dont use them. but I'll try modding my HD picks to see if they do the trick.

Lee, would you mind posting pictures of your mini "rolling head" pry bars. Thanx

Snagged2, would you mind posting a picture of your screwdriver mod so I can get a better idea.

Makule, I hope someone with that Reelspeed tool will send you some info (or the tool) so you can make some for us.

I broke all 5 of my tools on a stubborn bearing, the left side plate bearing on my Daiwa Sealine 600H.  And I still didnt get the bearing out.  That really chaps-my-hide! >:(   I hate that now that Ive been given the knowledge to professionally service my reels that this ONE tool is hindering me from doing a 110% job (the way I like to do my work).  Well, back to the "Stone Age" of picks and sticks. :(

Tite lines guys and keep the comments coming; collectively we will overcome. And please post pictures if you can, if you dont know how just email me with the pix's and commments and I will post them for you.

Leo

Nessie Hunter

What are your thoughts on a mini Slide Hammer for dislodging stuck bearings??
Nothing big.....   

Would have no contact with side Plates (no damage).  No side movement to damage bearing seat (recess) and a slide or two would surely dislodge any stuck bearings.....

A Nail Head type (puller) end, that would pull straight up on bearing from ID...
Work it from one side to other side a few times???
Changeable sizes that simply screwed into hammer shaft????

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bryan Young

Leo, I hate to tell you this, but those sealine bearings cups will need to be grounded before the bearing can come out.  If you look closely, there's these little metal tabs.  Those are the ones that needs to be grounded down.

Quote from: LTM on July 25, 2012, 02:26:45 AM
I broke all 5 of my tools on a stubborn bearing, the left side plate bearing on my Daiwa Sealine 600H.  And I still didnt get the bearing out.  That really chaps-my-hide! >:(   I hate that now that Ive been given the knowledge to professionally service my reels that this ONE tool is hindering me from doing a 110% job (the way I like to do my work).  Well, back to the "Stone Age" of picks and sticks. :(
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

QuoteMakule, I hope someone with that Reelspeed tool will send you some info (or the tool) so you can make some for us.

Nothing so far.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

LTM

Guys,

Bryan, I didnt see any tabs (evidently) ::). But I did maks slight progress where I was beginning to see the flats on the outside of the bearing. I will remove the plate and inspect again with magnifying glass (thought I did this originally).  If I do see those tabs I'll use the Dremel.  Thank you for the important detail.

NH/Justin: That little mini-slide hammer with multi-sized removal heads sounds like the right idea for stubborn bearings. I would think that you would/could clamp the side plate to your work surface with some of those mini sliding clamps (often used in woodworking) from HF/Sears, etc. to keep the side plate stationary while working the slide hammer.  Do you know where one ::) would find such a tool?

Makule: Thank you for your open invitation; and I dont know what to say about no response's ("crickets").  Maybe being in Hawaii, its recognized that additional postage charges would affect the price point?

Lee and Snagged2, sure would like to see your tools if possible.

Thanx guys for your comments,

Leo

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Great job Lee, those nails are hard as flint and ideal for the job.

LTM

Lee, excellent job x2, whoo hoo!!  I thought you were referring to what I know as a micro version of a  "rooling-heel pry bar".  Also glad to get some validation on its hardness.  Thanx a million Lee

NessieHunter; once again I have "egg-on-my-face" for attempting to call you by your given name (which I know now is Frank); I apologize..  Ive been referring to you as Justin; going forward I will stick to our "forum handles" so I wont keep putting my foot in my mouth (getting sore  ;D).

Let's keep this up guys; individually were grains of sand but together we create a beach.

Next,

Leo