Penn Spinfisher V 4500: Service Tutorial

Started by johndtuttle, October 23, 2012, 10:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePlo

Thanks John. Did some reading on stripersonline and realized that nothing exists. Wish I could take the 6500 handle and use it.

johndtuttle

Quote from: JoePlo on May 24, 2015, 09:24:40 PM
Thanks John. Did some reading on stripersonline and realized that nothing exists. Wish I could take the 6500 handle and use it.

check with Penn on their SOL forum and see if a larger handle will fit...it very well might.

:)

Aussiefinatic

Just had the courage to pull this reel down after looking at the tutorial which was great.

I kayak fish so wanted a reel that could take a splashing and falling into the water and this V4500 look good.

The reel since about the second use has had a stiff ratchety drag which I took back to the store (BCF) and they said it was alright, so I continued to fish with it.

Well I finally had enough of the stiff drag and pulled it apart, the drag washers where all gunked (Grease had gone thick from moisture?) up as was the ratchet and there was corrosion on the spool that had eaten into some of the spaces for the washers.
I also noticed that the red drag seal was sticking out of the housing rather than into and could be a bit small to seal property?
I also took apart the bail arm cover and had a hell of a time getting the spring back in position as was told.

Once again thanks for the great tutorial

johndtuttle

Quote from: Aussiefinatic on March 10, 2016, 11:25:32 PM
Just had the courage to pull this reel down after looking at the tutorial which was great.

I kayak fish so wanted a reel that could take a splashing and falling into the water and this V4500 look good.

The reel since about the second use has had a stiff ratchety drag which I took back to the store (BCF) and they said it was alright, so I continued to fish with it.

Well I finally had enough of the stiff drag and pulled it apart, the drag washers where all gunked (Grease had gone thick from moisture?) up as was the ratchet and there was corrosion on the spool that had eaten into some of the spaces for the washers.
I also noticed that the red drag seal was sticking out of the housing rather than into and could be a bit small to seal property?
I also took apart the bail arm cover and had a hell of a time getting the spring back in position as was told.

Once again thanks for the great tutorial

Sorry you had trouble. I still prefer Cal's or other true drag grease rather than the Penn Lube and the drag stack requires regular monitoring. If the seal at the top isn't regularly lubed it can get dry and leak. Be sure as well to get a nice grease "cap" on top of the pinion assembly to protect those bits.

best

Noviceman

Nice tutorial but I have the 5500 model...Is this pretty much the same reel or is there another tutorial somewhere on this forum for the 5500??
Many thanks for info..

johndtuttle

Quote from: Noviceman on August 21, 2017, 04:24:16 PM
Nice tutorial but I have the 5500 model...Is this pretty much the same reel or is there another tutorial somewhere on this forum for the 5500??
Many thanks for info..

The other reel sizes are essentially identical.

Noviceman

azmdted

This is a great thread, and something I really needed.  Thank you very much for this.  One question, I have two 4500's and both have the Drag Drive Plate Seal out like the one in the tutorial.  Is this a continuing production problem for Penn or do they think is doesn't really matter which way it goes?  It seems like they've been producing reels like this for some time now. 

Again, thanks a lot for a well written and photographed tutorial.

johndtuttle

Quote from: azmdted on October 17, 2017, 03:58:09 PM
This is a great thread, and something I really needed.  Thank you very much for this.  One question, I have two 4500's and both have the Drag Drive Plate Seal out like the one in the tutorial.  Is this a continuing production problem for Penn or do they think is doesn't really matter which way it goes?  It seems like they've been producing reels like this for some time now. 

Again, thanks a lot for a well written and photographed tutorial.

Hard to say, not knowing when your reels were made. As the tutorial shows it actually is a pretty complicated assembly (probably designed before the new team took over Penn) that requires a certain order of assembly to make it go easily.

The Slammer III has a better design. When the Spinfisher V gets updated eventually I would expect something like it.

erikpowell

Bula all,

I just opened up a brand new SSV8500 to pre-service it for a friend.
John's tutorial is very helpful and the reel is pretty straightforward in and out.

What surprised me was that Penn already serviced it!  ;) It was good to go!
Blue grease everywhere it needed to be.
Yes there is blue grease all around the drag compartment, but not on the drag washers themselves and not likely to contaminate the drags IMO.
These HT100 drag washers were factory greased just like AT protocol. I did a second coat just to be sure, but these were by no means dry.
Another grateful find was to see grease forced out through the bearing shields when I used Alan's bearing packer for the pinion bearing. After seeing that I didn't even bother to waste grease on the other bearing.
Overall the reel looked exactly as it would had any of the AT gang done a full service. To a Tee.... an AlanT that is  ;D

The only other new out of the box spinning reel I've experienced this with is the FinNor Lethal 100.

I believe the SSV8500 is a reel you can fish the salt right out of the box for a full hard season or so.

A real bargain at $305 FJD....btw that's $149 USD off the shelf or $190 AUD for ya'll across the pond :)

Cheers!

steelfish

I have a friend with a Spinfisher V 8500
I really not that good with spinner reels, so, I need some help, I havent gotten the reel yet but the problem my friend is having is when you move the bail to "open" it and cast the line with wont stay locked up, it returns inmediatly to "close" the spool.
in order to cast line you need to hold the bail with your finger

In my experience with other spinnng reels, all the parts that have something to do with that fuature are in this pic, but which one is the main part that keeps the bail locked until you manually return it  ?
The Baja Guy

RUSTY OLD COLT

The solid rod on the right is the bail trip arm , I have removed them on my surf reels and now close the bail arm manually . When you take the spring assembly on the L/S of the picture out make sure the cast arm inside the spring is not broken or worn where it hooks into the rotor arm linkage .

Bucktail

Hello,  I haven't been around the last few years because of life things, and haven't been working on any reels either. But recently I got a 4500SSV with a stripped main gear.  I figured I'd just replace the gear and I'd have a decent working reel, but I'm having a difficult time removing the bearing from the old gear.  Any suggestions?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks,
Bob
Just a jig-a-lo