Project 700 greenie

Started by BMITCH, March 23, 2013, 11:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDShaddock

Mitch how did you get all the paint off?  I am working on a 720 and having trouble getting paint out the housing.

BMITCH

Zip strip and a metal brush. Than acetone with a q-tip= elbow grease.
luck is the residue of design.

George4741

Bob/BMITCH,
Did you ever finish your reel?  If so, please tell us about it.  Photos would be nice.  I have a 700 coming in the mail so I'm kinda interested in them.

Thanks,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

BMITCH

Sorry to say George, this is as far as I got :(  got kinda side tracked. I completely forgot about this project.

So, now I gotta find someone to paint this bad boy. Any suggestions? I know someone on here does that kind of work. Anyone?

Shark Hunter

Bob,
You might want to ask Cole. This is some of the best work I have seen! :o
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12548.msg123562#msg123562
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Thanks Daron. I Sent a PM to him.

Alto Mare

Nice Bob, can't wait to see it finished. Did you do the drilling yourself?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Bob, thanks for updating us on your 700.  I eagerly await the completed photos. ;) 
viurem lliures o morirem

the_reel_doc

Make sure if you fish with it not to tighten the drag down to tight. This is the result of that. Cast metal and you have weakened it even more by drilling it. Looks cool but not when this happens!

BMITCH

Oh No!! :o :o that's very uncool. I've never seen this happen. I know a lot of guys vanStalize their greenies. Never heard any issues like this before....then again I wasn't looking. Thanks for the heads up   ;)

Alto Mare

the-reel-doc, thanks for that, its very helpful to many. ;) I had no idea that reel would generate that much force.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Ouch!
I have seen some 850's drilled out and have shied away from them.
Good to Know Larry!
Life is Good!

the_reel_doc

Here's a 706 that wasn't drilled. It happens quite often on the greenies and black spools. The gold spools are not cast metal and won't do this. The tackle store where I worked quit spooling the green spools due to this happening. The problem is the mono line. It stretches  out if tight then it will retract and it has nowhere to expand so it "explodes" the spool. I blew up a plastic spool once from a cheap reel. Was new and didn't know to just lay the mono onto it. I was so proud cause it looked really nice when I was done but about a minute later it was a different story! :-[

BMITCH

How about braid on these?? Same issues?

the_reel_doc

Braid doesn't stretch so "no" it doesn't happen but the older reels were not designed to handle braid since it was not around when they were made. Rollers will not hold up due to no bearings.