Homemade Tools & Line Winders

Started by harryk3616, June 02, 2013, 12:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Okay, I moved and merged them. :-\  The topic names are a bit of a mess but I'll work on it.

Now before we go any further with this, is this merger okay with the innovative three: harryk, spize and BMITCH?

If everyone's happy, I'll also edit out the no-longer-relevant posts.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

harryk3616

pescador           sorry don't follow you,  i have no problem with anything, i'm cool with everything and everyone.   best  regards   harry

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: harryk3616 on July 25, 2013, 06:40:56 PM
pescador           sorry don't follow you,  i have no problem with anything, i'm cool with everything and everyone.   best  regards   harry

Just wanted to make sure it was okay with all concerned that I combined the other topics into yours.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

spize909

I was kind of happy with my own deal but being an FNG I'll take what ever abuse you got to dig out. ;D

spize909

So I'm driving home from work today and I pass the neighbors house and out with his trash is an upright fan.....no blades, just the motor and the stand. I had to head out so I didn't get a chance to test to see if the motor works or not but I thin I found the other half to my line winder if it does.
It's already got a hole in the shaft that I can drill out a little more to run a bar through to catch the reel handle, just have to see if it will have enough torque to turn the reel with some tension on it.'
No pics, I got home loaded fishing gear and kid and headed south to Oceanside to get up and go fish in the morning in SD. I will take some pics and play with it on Sunday.

Ron Jones

Lucky SOB,
I love OceanSide. Where you fishin'?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

spize909

Quote from: noyb72 on July 27, 2013, 04:08:52 AM
Lucky SOB,
I love OceanSide. Where you fishin'?
Ron
We actually drove down (from the in-laws in Oceanside)to San Diego to fish on the Mission Belle out of Pt Loma. My sister cooks on the boat so I go to see her and of course fish.
Fishing wasn't too good. Some rockfish and 2 yellowtail with a few lost. Between the pelicans and seals it's tough fishin' at the Coronados and just seems to get worse.

I got home and stripped the motor out of that fan and it works. I think with a dial type light dimmer I can regulate speed. I already got a piece of 1/8" bar stock and ran it through the main shaft to turn the reel handle.
Easy part's done. Figuring how to mount it all up is going to take some brain cells.
I may look for an old rod to canibalize for the reel seat. I know on a commercial machine that also adjust up and down to meet the center of the winder motor to the reel.
I also need to figure a way to turn a spool to strip line. To me that's the biggest pain in the #### anyway.

harryk3616

hi   spize  909      check my pictures, i made a spool holder out of thin square wood mounted to a small piece of 1x2 so it adjusts to different size spools, plus i made a line stripper with two funnels,  the two funnels mount large size opposite each other, one is cut down to slide over the other one, a 1/4 threaded rod with fender washers and a spring to hold tension to keep them together, strip the line, take it apart and your left with a hank of line to dispose, i use a cordless drill for both applications,   good luck, it's not hard to make,     harryk

spize909

Quote from: harryk3616 on July 28, 2013, 10:36:47 PM
hi   spize  909      check my pictures, i made a spool holder out of thin square wood mounted to a small piece of 1x2 so it adjusts to different size spools, plus i made a line stripper with two funnels,  the two funnels mount large size opposite each other, one is cut down to slide over the other one, a 1/4 threaded rod with fender washers and a spring to hold tension to keep them together, strip the line, take it apart and your left with a hank of line to dispose, i use a cordless drill for both applications,   good luck, it's not hard to make,     harryk

I like the idea of the funnels. I have something now that I put in the cordless but it's basically like a straight dowell so it was not easy removing the line. The good thing was it was big enough that I stripped my reels many times before worring about it.
What I want is something to attach to the motor. The one side has the rod to catch the reel handle but the other side has part of the shaft extending out as well. It has some threads that were used to turn the worm gear to make the fan oscillate. I need to basically tap something to screw onto that that is tapered to use for the stripper.

I did find that the fan was spinning the wrong direction. I though swapping the wires would fix it but it did not. Maybe that because it is ac and not dc............I'm not much for electrical knowledge.
So.......I opened it up and found that I could reverse the shaft so the ends stick out the other sides.

Hears some pics of what I have so far and for Nor Cal Pescador, I see you are a member of the Oceanside Senior Anglers. I included a pic of my father in law with a Cow Cod (mex waters) caught yesterday. He has been a member for a couple years now. Wish I would have took the pic when ift first came out but it was a nice fish and the only cow caught.

spize909

I was able to find an hour or so to work on this a little. I bought a few thing I had thought of on the way home the other night and got to do some work on it today.

I got a prefab tapered table leg to use on the stripper side and screwed it onto the wormdrive threads on the other side of the motor. Then I removed the little plastic foot thing, drilled it out and put a hanger bolt in it (wood threads on one side, machine 1/4-20 on the other). I couldn't find a great big fender washer so I used the biggest hole saw bit I had and drilled a piece of aluminum for the end. I will need bigger but it may work for now and either way it keeps the wheels in my head turning.

I cut a couple pieces of 3/4" squre tube and welded the motor onto one of them and then ran some carriage bolts up through the bottom of a piece of ply (just for mock-up) to see how it would all go together. I used an old 500s for the mockup and spacing and then realized that I needed adjustment on the distance as well. I may use some 1/8" steel to mount it all on and slot the holes so I can slide the holder for the reels cloer or further from the motor.
I think on the commercial units the "T" shaft just slides into a hex shaped hole and can move in or out to accomodate any reel.
I'm open to ideas on this but I am close. I'm going to wire it up this week with a dimmer for speed control and should be able to test it out.

Appetizers............ ;D

harryk3616

hi   spize909        looks great, nice job, just hope the fan motor has enough torque to turn the reel as you apply tension while winding the line on,if not , your pretty much there, you might have to replace the fan motor with a variable speed drill.  hope the fan motor works, great job .    harryk

spize909

Quote from: harryk3616 on August 05, 2013, 03:14:31 AM
hi   spize909        looks great, nice job, just hope the fan motor has enough torque to turn the reel as you apply tension while winding the line on,if not , your pretty much there, you might have to replace the fan motor with a variable speed drill.  hope the fan motor works, great job .    harryk

I think it will....it has to take some effort to turn a fan. I tried stopping it when I was testing it and it seemed pretty strong. We'll see.
Any ideas on adjustment side to side and a good system to hold the reel?
I went to Kenny's Rod and Reel (my local shop) and checked out their winder so I got a couple ideas on holding the reel.

spize909

I wired it up when I got home today with the "ol round knob style" light dimme switch and it worked well. I did not put any line on as I am still tweaking that side of it but I did strip the line off of that Jigmaster. I put it in gear and put some drag on it. It doesn't have much torque at start-up but once it gets going it's fine.
Harry inspired me with a reel clamp idea so I should be more or less dialed in on the next round of working on it.

spize909

Quote from: harryk3616 on August 05, 2013, 03:14:31 AM
hi   spize909        looks great, nice job, just hope the fan motor has enough torque to turn the reel as you apply tension while winding the line on,if not , your pretty much there, you might have to replace the fan motor with a variable speed drill.  hope the fan motor works, great job .    harryk
Well Harry, you were right. that motor lacked the torque needed to put the line on. I stripped a couple reels and put some pretty good tension on the spool while stripping and it did fine but I think turning that handle with the shaft and the rod on the shaft uses the energy in a different way. I knew it would lag some but thought it would be fine. I did one reel and knew it wasn't tight enough.
There is some kind of relay(nope, it's a capacitor. I just googled it)....is there anything I can do to get more juice to this motor? Wires are 16 ga at best.

Here's a couple pics. It sure strips the line good. Real bummed out but heading out on the Freedom Wednesday for a 1.5 day so that should cheer me up some ;D