TIP OF THE DAY

Started by Alto Mare, August 09, 2013, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

The only problem with using rubbers is that I usually use brake cleaner to clean up all the old cruddy parts before a regrease. The brake cleaner eats them up.
I bought a can of engine degreaser by mistake last time. I didn't even realize it. The cans are the same color. I think it actually works better! It comes out like shaving cream. After it cleans up the parts, the shaving cream factor goes away with all the old crud as well. ;D
Life is Good!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

here's one if you forgot to grease the plate before screwing the newly cleaned (polished) and lubed bushings (bearings) and you don't want to unscrew the said parts.  ;D

Alto Mare

Stainless steel screws for squidders, jigmasters and surfmasters are not easy to find in the proper length for the stand.
Here is a shot of what I'm talking about

using an old stand that you don't care about, makes the job much easier when grinding the small screw down

these are now a perfect fit

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Many of the older internationals Tiagra's and others have threaded drag covers which can be stubborn to remove.  Try these tips:
1)Try the correct specialty wrench first (if you've got one), if its not budging give the wrench a persuasive tap w/ a hammer.
2)if still stuck, try heating the drag plate/spool by running it under Hot tap water for awhile and repeat step 1
3) If still stuck you can try to use an appropriately sized car oil filter wrench to develop more torque.  I typically put a thin rag around the spool cover, under the wrench band to protect it, thin rubber (like from an inner tube) would really be best. If you are having trouble holding the spool while torqueing, you can gently clamp it in a wide- mouthed vice clamp with soft wood, and a rag to protect the spool from damage.
4)In a pinch, I have found wrspping a leather belt or strip of leather around the spool can duplicate the concept of the oil wrench.

A little high quality penetrating oil, some heat, and some light tapping around the spool/drag plate connection can help break it free.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Quote from: stevennc on March 04, 2014, 12:13:01 AM
I put together a reel that will be for bottom fishing in my kayak and on 1/2 days. I really do not like using anything too expensive on my yak because of possible theft while loading / unloading , risk of losing them to the sea, and just the fact that the reels are so close to the water the whole time. For this upcoming season I put together this Frankenstein Jigmaster from two broken reels , and extra parts. I ended up with some problems with the spacing sleeve sticking out too far after mixing the best gear with a different drag different bridge and drive etc. To take a small amount of material off the brass spacing sleeve this dremel grinding bit worked wonders and it was very quick. I used tape to mark were to end my grinding on the spacing sleeve. Sure its not as precise as some people with machine shop access, but it worked very well for me here are the pics of what I used.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Don't get rid of the delrin cutouts they might make a good spacer when an extra washer is needed.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Those Cut Outs would work nice on Newell Handles.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Why are they ruined Sal? explain
Life is Good!

foakes

Probably just cosmetic -- not functionality?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

I have done the same with vinegar. It is important to know how aggressive your cleaner is.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on October 19, 2014, 09:21:59 PM
Probably just cosmetic -- not functionality?

Best,

Fred
Yep! I could still use them, but the nice chrome is gone. This made me a little upset, most were for the 700 series, not available today.
I'm over it now though ;D
If you never make mistakes, you will never learn anything ;)
Sal

foakes

Sal --

If you need some specific bail screws to complete some old 700 series spinners -- I have quite a few for 700 -- 716, and up through I believe 722s.

Just let me know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Someone came in last Thursday so I could order new parts for his Penn SSM spinning reel. He left the parts in Vinegar and Baking Soda? over night and nothing was left of the main gear and crosswind gear..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

El Pescador

Sal,

I too wonder what caused this chemical reaction?  Was it the mix of chrome, steel & aluminum parts??
My two years of chemistry in college in no way makes me a specalist in chemical reaction, but I will contact Simple Green & ask their R&D dept. for ideas.

Can you sort out the chrome, steel & AL parts for closer inspection photos??

The soaking basket looks to be aluminum, not stainless steel.  In fact, it looks like the colander my Mother used for drain pasta (or spagetti) as us Northern Italians called it!!!!

Back with some answers after speaking with SG.
Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: handi2 on October 19, 2014, 10:24:57 PM
Someone came in last Thursday so I could order new parts for his Penn SSM spinning reel. He left the parts in Vinegar and Baking Soda? over night and nothing was left of the main gear and crosswind gear..!
Wow! They don't make them like they use to. ;)
As far as Sal's simple green issue, I think he just left them in too long. The green is that good. I use it when I have the patience, which isn't that often. I prefer a simple blast with brake cleaner or a coleman fuel soak which is almost instant and leaves no residue. ;)
Life is Good!