TIP OF THE DAY

Started by Alto Mare, August 09, 2013, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: gstours on April 02, 2015, 06:22:07 AM
Yes the press is the right way to punch washers, but a large bench vise and a third hand can do pretty good as long as you arent doing many washers.  almost everybody has one of those cluttering up their workbench!!!!  from a joe homeowner to another.   gst.

Funny, I admit I've used a vice and heat to press parts.  I gotta get a press though for all the old corroded parts I press, namely cam housings on Old Internationals, and such.  Shipping is crazy out here, and I can't seem to locate a used one locally.  I refuse to pay double what the product is worth to ship it. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

Yep, have the vise for my vice LOL. I THOUGHT I had a couple hundred reels in great working order til I joined this site.....now it's crystal clear I will spend the next five years changing drags, frames, handles, drag sleeves, SS screws, yokes, gears, sideplates, SS bridges and clamps. Not to mention I'll have to rewrap a very large stand of sticks to match the revamped motors....I should be free to actually go fishing by 2020. Maybe.

Then it will become apparent that every reel I built will need to be narrowed.....And that I don't have enough Newells....or Everol's...or ice blue Accuplates....or a  green 6500C3CT....

Alto Mare

5-40 Socket Head screws are not easy to find in 1/8 length, McMasters-Carr only carries 1/4

Here is what I do to bring them to size, I scew them in an old handle

I was using a belt sander, but this vintage grinding wheel does a much better job, quieter and faster

cranking the handle 10 times and you're done

I did about three dozen in 10 minutes...not bad

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Clever tip, Sal --

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Three se7ens

If you do a lot of cutting off screws, something like this may be worth the money.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/heavyRivetCutter.php

The screws(or solid rivets) drop into the holes, and are sheared clean off. There is a stack of shims that you use to set the length. You will still need to dress the end of the screw after cutting.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 08, 2015, 07:50:53 PM
I have a similar tool for cutting screws of milder steel...but when it comes to hardened screws or SS screws, it doesn't work that well, unless you have Bear claws for hands.
I agree Joe, I tried one and had to use the press to snap it and I'm tough ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Good to know.  Ive used them on steel rivets before, so I figured they would cut most screws fine.

Alto Mare

Its a good tool, I use it to cut screws for cabinets, but these 316 ss screws are tough.

harryk3616

how about the cut-off disc using a dremel?  i use mine constantly for cutting metal

Alto Mare

Quote from: harryk3616 on April 08, 2015, 10:05:12 PM
how about the cut-off disc using a dremel?  i use mine constantly for cutting metal
Same situation Harry, I don't have much luck with those on stainless steel screws. It kmight be just me :-\
By the way, your stainless steel basket comes handy with small parts, thanks again my friend ;)

harryk3616

yeah sal, that basket was a great find and it fit in my glass wash basin perfect, i'm glad you liked it my friend. i let the parts soak awhile then i take one of those acid wash brushes and stir the parts around cleaning them just fine. i use wd40 as my cleaner, i buy the gallon cans at home depot, works for me, i also scrub the sideplates with a small nylon brush dipped in the wd40, got the brushes at home depot also,wipe them dry and then hit them with the air hose, they  come out nice.  got the basket from ebay under jewlery cleaning baskets

Tightlines667

I use a steel bill holder mesh basket I purchased from 'Orgainize This', and a few different sized strainers to hold parts in the Ultrasonic cleaner.  I have been eyeing the basket from my new deep fryer.  Looks like these would work well too.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

If you ever had screws stored in a container with the movable dividers and found them all mixed up, you could try this
http://i.imgur.com/2hGwN2X.jpg
a small bead of hot glue will keep them in place
http://i.imgur.com/84j7ZN7.jpg
While you at it, place a small bead of glue on the latches and hinges , this will make them much stronger
http://i.imgur.com/BhWNnLl.jpg
I realize that these boxes are already out there with welded seams, but most are not of the correct size that I would want and they're usually $20 each. These were $3 at Harbor Freight
http://i.imgur.com/puvW8MF.jpg
Sal

harryk3616

i'm on the same page as you sal ,glue gun trick works well.  picked up the harbor freight plastic bins when they were on sale awhile ago before my trouble.  craft stores also carry them, like michaels or joannes, gotta get them when they go on sale.  have a nice weekend my friend