Loose Bridge Stem on the Jigmaster

Started by franky, April 01, 2014, 07:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

maybe it's not that easy:
http://www.twi-global.com/technical-knowledge/faqs/material-faqs/faq-how-can-i-weld-naval-brass/

Franky, earlier I recommended Black Pearl's stainless steel bridge, they're due inn soon.
If you didn't want to go there, send me a pm with your address and I'll get one of the stock bridge out to you.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 06, 2014, 12:33:46 PM
...I recommended Black Pearl's stainless steel bridge, they're due in soon.

Sal, I'm a Jigmaster fanatic, and these look absolutely bodacious! Will you please let me know when/where I can order some? Thanks!  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Aiala, they are assembling them now, I believe they're due in two weeks. I'm also very excited about those, the Jigmaster is one of my favorite, now even more.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

That's some scary stuff about metal fumes :-\

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 06, 2014, 02:33:32 PM
That's some scary stuff about metal fumes :-\

Yup, I will not weld on galvanized metal and I try to use a suction fan.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

I had Galvanize Poisoning in the 70's from cutting pipe with a torch. It's no fun chucking up multi colored stuff. Tried it again 10-12 yrs. later & was told to drink milk to stop the poisoning - it didn't work.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

franky

[quote author=Alto Mare link=topic=10304.msg98140#msg98140 date=1396787626e

If you didn't want to go there, send me a pm with your address and I'll get one of the stock bridge out to you.
Sal
[/quote]

Thanks Sal.  I already fixed the guys jig with a new bridge. He was very happy.

Quote from: Hamachi on April 06, 2014, 09:30:14 AM
You were supposed to hit the bridge in several places around the stem, to push some metal towards the stem. This is why I hate giving suggestions out. Live and learn I guess. When you peened the stem, there should have been no pressure exerted on to the plate, the whole force should've been on the stem, if that was the way you decided to do it. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Thanks Hamachi, keep in mind that I used the guy's old bridge to experiment.  If and when the next loose bridge comes in, I plan on trying to tap only the flanged part using a small nail punch.  Just that alone, I can tell you that it is not going to be easy,especially when trying to complete the job and ensure that the stem is straight.
Don't get me wrong folks, usually I just change out the part and don't waste time. But being somewhat of  of a reelhead, sometimes I try some stupid stuff just to see... ;D

Oh well, until the next one comes in....

Shark Hunter

Its All Good Franky! Its guys like you that we all learn from! Keep up the good work! ;)
Life is Good!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Bryan Young

Quote from: franky on April 07, 2014, 08:06:58 AMDon't get me wrong folks, usually I just change out the part and don't waste time. But being somewhat of  of a reelhead, sometimes I try some stupid stuff just to see... ;D

It's not stupid Franky, is lessons learned...and we've all had that one time or another...and for me it's daily.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

The only one that never has a "D'oh" moment is someone that never tries anything.

Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT... :) :D ;D EXPERIMENTATION IS ONE OF THE BEST WAYS TO DISCOVER THINGS... ;) :)