Loose Bridge Stem on the Jigmaster

Started by franky, April 01, 2014, 07:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

Hello all,

I am working on a jigmaster.  The bridge stem is wobbling.  I tried to re-peen (spelling?) it by hitting the under side of the flanged end of the bridge stem.  No success. 

Is it possible to correct the situation? Do I need to hit the flanged end a little harder? or is it time to just get a new bridge assembly?

Thoughts?...

Irish Jigger

New Bridge and fish with confidence for years to come.

Shark Hunter

New bridge for sure Franky. I wouldn't trust it.
Life is Good!

franky

Thanks a lot folks.....new bridge it is.  :)

Bryan Young

I have seen a bunch of those and I braze them with silver solder.  It costs me about $1 in materials (including propane) and 10 minutes of my time.  Much cheaper than a new bridge.  I haven't had one bridge come back.  I was thinking that I should do that to my bridges so that it would not come loose.

By the way, I only apply the silver solder to the non-gear side of the bridge.

I think I use this stuff
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

Thanks Brian,

Yeah, I was trying to save this person a few dollars and was also thinking of possibly soldering.  The only thing that you gotta becareful is when you apply the solder, you got to make sure the stem is straight.

I like you idea of applying a thin solder PRIOR to the stem becoming loose.  This would ensure added stability and at the same time you know that the stem is straight.  :)

Thanks again...

Hamachi

A long socket or pipe to protect the sleeve in a vise, use a punch in five or eight spots right next to the post usually pushe enough metal to tighten things up. If not try both sides, just making sure its supported correctly. If you ruin it, you were going to buy another bridge anyway. It will work.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Bryan Young

I just let the stem hand upside down by placing the bridge plate with the gear sleeve shaft upside down.

Before I do that, I clean it by soaking in a hot bath Dawn dishwashing liquid, and if possible, ultrasonic cleaner, then rinse and dry for a day.  Then hit it with the propane torch until both pieces are red hot and let cool.  That should burn off any oily residue that may remain between the bridgeplate and gear sleeve shaft.  Then when cool apply that acid etching flux.  This is where I try to push on the gear sleeve shaft to get the flux inbetween the plate and the shaft.  Then heat to red hot again and you will see the acid etching flux clean the surface of the brazing area.  Then heat it red hot again and apply the flux.  I'm not very good so mine tends to spread over a larger than expected area, but it works...not pretty, but it works.  I have not had one come back for repair or replacement yet.  knock on wood.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

On the few that I  have had trouble with the sleeve was rusted to the spindle causing it to rotate in the Bridge.
I had to replace the Sleeve in some cases too.
If it for someone looking a cheap fix just hammer it together and they will be none the wiser ;)

Keta

Quote from: Hamachi on April 01, 2014, 08:52:44 PM
A long socket or pipe to protect the sleeve in a vise, use a punch in five or eight spots right next to the post usually pushe enough metal to tighten things up. If not try both sides, just making sure its supported correctly. If you ruin it, you were going to buy another bridge anyway. It will work.

I have successfully punched them several times.  Support the shaft side on the flange and center punch the back side of the shaft in the center. Smack it several times to displace the shaft metal.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I wouldn't waste my time, I never had luck fixing those.
Since you need a new bridge, get your self one of these:

It will be one of the best jigmaster you ever had. These will be available soon.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 01, 2014, 10:25:53 PM
I wouldn't waste my time, I never had luck fixing those.
Since you need a new bridge, get your self one of these:

It will be one best jigmaster you ever had. These will be available soon.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Sal

i agree! you don't want this person to be disappointed with your work because it got loose again. tell him the 2 options before going ahead with the fix. my 2 cents...

Tightlines667

I have a bunch of old 12/0, and 14/0 bridges I might try to fix via the Brian method when/if I ever get the time (something that seems to be in short supply when running a part-time reel repair buisness on top of being a full-time fisheries biologist).  Thanks for the tips guys!  Not sure how I missed this thread?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 02, 2014, 12:27:14 AM
...when/if I ever get the time (something that seems to be in short supply when running a part-time reel repair buisness on top of being a full-time fisheries biologist)...

time, one more reason to just replace with a new one and charge the customer. don't forget to advise though(cost pros and cons etc) before the fix...

Bryan Young

As we have said many times before...you cannot make a living on maintenance and repairs of fishing reels. It's a passion that we have and if you can save the guy a few bucks with a suitable solution...that is what many of us try to do. Not everyone can afford new parts especially as they get scarce.