Penn 155

Started by mike155, September 04, 2014, 10:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Now if only we can only figure out how to disassemble spools without destroying things and make them narrower.  For starters, I would like to have a "49" width Long Beach. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on February 16, 2015, 04:51:48 PM
Quote from: Keta on February 16, 2015, 06:42:41 AM

Other than weight is there any advantages the 155 has over a 200?

The only advantage I see between my reels is the 200 has the quick-change spool feature.  My 200 also has the smaller -155 drag washers so, no drag advantage there.  I've since narrowed my 155 and 200 to the 180/100 width.  With all of the other reels I have, I wouldn't rush out and buy a 155 unless I had some strange compelling desire to have one. ::)    

Quote from: Penn Chronology on February 16, 2015, 04:45:32 PM
This has turned into a mix and match thread. It is a testament to the parts interchangeability of modern products. It was not always like that.

Here's one.

What are they?

I think a widened 4/0 and a narrowed Long Beach 68.  You swapped spools and spacer bars, perhaps?  Penn's parts interchangeability is a wonderful thing.

I did something similar when I narrowed a black 4/0 by using a Newell YTS reelfoot and Long Beach 66 spool (what we sometimes call a grouper special).  I realize this has probably been done before, but I'd never seen or read of someone else doing it.
You must have a unique reel George, All my Surfmasters have the 5-60 gear :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 16, 2015, 05:35:06 PM

You must have a unique reel George, All my Surfmasters have the 5-60 gear :-\

When ordering Surfmaster 200 parts on the MysticParts website, there is a design change that describes my reel with the 5-155 main gear and drag washers.  It may not be a common reel but it's not unique.  I showed it on another thread several years ago.  The sideplate is also different from yours, as the space for the gears is only large enough for the -155 main gear.  A 5-60 gear won't fit.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Yes George, I remember now. I still say there aren't many of those around, yours might still be unique ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I just saw a 155 go for $51 dollars on the big auction site. The Insanity! :o
Life is Good!

Keta

Ouch!  Today I got a Monofil 25 for 1/2 that including shipping, I promptly narrowed it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 27, 2015, 01:44:02 AM
I just saw a 155 go for $51 dollars on the big auction site. The Insanity! :o
Small price to pay, if you know what you're getting. $51 isn't much for a reel that will outlast you ;).

Shark Hunter

Very true Sal,
I've just never seen one go that high that was on my watch list. It was new.
I have a nib 180 coming I gave about $25 for.
Must be the Alto Mare and Shark Hunter Effect. ;)
Life is Good!

mike155

i had forgot that i started this thread.Looks like it turned out to have some good info.I have a 160 that i love thinking about makking my 155s into 160s can this be done?

Keta

Yes, it can be done.  You can also make it a 501 width reel by using a 30-49 stand, 29L-100 spool and 37-180 frame posts.  I just did this to a Monofil 25.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Penn Chronology

Quotei had forgot that i started this thread.Looks like it turned out to have some good info.I have a 160 that i love thinking about makking my 155s into 160s can this be done?

Yes, to make your 155 into a 160, you need a Penn Surfmaster 150 spool, a Long Beach 65 stand and posts.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Keta on February 27, 2015, 03:13:14 PM
Yes, it can be done.  You can also make it a 501 width reel by using a 30-49 stand, 29L-100 spool and 37-180 frame posts.  I just did this to a Monofil 25.

Lee, the 49 has better frame posts. They are twice the diameter of the 180 posts and give the reel a beefier look.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

txangler81

Won't a long beach 66 stand work as well that way you can have a rod clamp and a beefier reel stand

Penn Chronology

QuoteWon't a long beach 66 stand work as well that way you can have a rod clamp and a beefier reel stand

Yes it will and that would give you a stronger base.

mike155

Thanks everbody great info as always.