mike155

The reel on the far left is a 155 with a plastic spool
I took it apart last night. It has steel gears
In it piƱon and main gear. About what year
Would it be. I am putting new drag washers
In it and a good cleaning.

Thanks michael

Shark Hunter

That reel was made for a long time Michael. Around 1940 until 2003 when it was discontinued. Sal would be the expert on Dating this. It does look older with that Amber Handle. I'll guess late fifty's.
Life is Good!

Aiala

I just acquired this neat little 151; it has the lighthouse tail plate, the pointy handle knob, and a brown mottled spool which I haven't seen before. I haven't started fussing/cleaning/polishing yet, although it's in really nice condition and doesn't need much. Would anyone be willing to guesstimate its approximate vintage? 50s? 60s?

Another thing I've been puzzling over: I'm aware that tightly winding mono onto a plastic spool can crush it like an eggshell because of mono's considerable stretch, but does the same hold true for non-stretchy braid?

Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks...   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

RTT

Hello Michael

Here is a shot of my 155.  A close friend left it to me.  I know that this reel is from the mice to late 60's.  I did the CF drags and update to an aluminum spool.

Hope this helps,
Ray

Shark Hunter

Aiala,
That reel is in great shape. I would replace the spool with a metal one at minimum. Aluminum being Ideal. That plastic spool will just lead to trouble if you are going to fish it. As far as guessing the age, I'll let the pros handle that. ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Aiala on February 03, 2015, 07:30:01 PM.....Another thing I've been puzzling over: I'm aware that tightly winding mono onto a plastic spool can crush it like an eggshell because of mono's considerable stretch, but does the same hold true for

Yes, when I went back to Dacron line I quit warping spools (not plastic) when fishing for Pacific halibut.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mattman NZ

One of my 155's in my collection  and I think the Monofil 25 is very similar and parts are interchangeable .

Alto Mare

I have a couple of 155, but mine have been converted to narrows. I fished these last year and love them and so do some of my buddies.
These parts are all spoken for, Scotts still has the spools and stand, but I'm not sure how long they will last.
The steel gears will be tough to find, but usually the older ones are still in great shape, these are tough little reels.
You could actually make any of these reels narrow with no issues, not as you would have if they were 500's.
In the back I'm showing the 180- 155 and the 26, any would do.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

You made me lick my monitor!  Nice.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

George4741

Aiala, I'm sure you know that your spool is a collector's item.  I wouldn't fish with it for fear of cracking it. :o   
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Excellent Point George! I would just display it and buy another one. ;D
Life is Good!

SacFly

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 04, 2015, 11:47:04 PM
I have a couple of 155, but mine have been converted to narrows........

I didn't know this was possible.  I have 2 155s that I use all the time for porgys and seabass inshore.  I'd love to make one a narrow.  No need for all that capacity when I use braid to catch porgys in 40ft of water.

I checked Scotts but wasn't able to find anything but the standard 155 parts.  If anyone could point me in the direction of the correct conversion parts, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt

Shark Hunter

I wasn't going to ask Matt, just because I haven't done this yet. I'm Sure Sal will elaborate. ;)
I want to know too. ;D
Life is Good!

Mattman NZ

I haven't done this mod yet but I think it involves three things 1 spool 29L-100 1 stand 30-180s and posts X4 37-180 ???
Sal can you confirm .The parts are listed under 180 Baymaster .

Thanks,
Matt