Penn SS Series

Started by Shark Hunter, October 04, 2014, 07:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwillis85

Finally saved enough money to pick up my 9500. I got lucky and found a lightly used reel with brass gear, only problems were lack of service that led to sluggish perfomance and the handle was bent. Cleaned and lubricated the reel and it works like new. Tried to fix the handle and now I need a replacement handle. Didn't realize the handles were pot metal. So my questions are, does anyone have a stock handle for the penn 9500ss in decent to good shape that accepts paypal. Also i see that this reel's drag know looks similar to the knob that came on my 750ss but with a metal sleeve, did penn solve the problem with the knob cracking on this style or should I order the power knob?
Chris

Cone

If the pivot and spacer are good on the 9500ss just get a handle from a 750ss or 7500ss and swap the spacer and pivots. The screw that holds the pivot can be a problem to remove on some handles. I like to keep a few spares around.
    I changed out all my drag knobs for the newer power knobs. The rubber seal helps keep out water. No one lists the part number for the rubber seal on the drag knob. I managed to get it from Penn. The replacement seals are expensive at around 2 bucks each but are cheaper than 10 to 11 bucks for a new power knob. If anyone needs the part number I'll dig it out and post it.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

cwillis85

The pivot and sleeve are still good. I put the handle from my 750ss on the reel to complete the service, but i would like a stock style handle. Looked on ebay with no luck, hoping someone here has one. Thanks for the input on the knob, i will order a new knob after i find a handle.
Chris

Shark Hunter

Here are a few of these Awesome spinners I have collected in a few weeks.
420,430,450,550,650 in the back row.
6500,7500,8500 and a pair of 9500's in the front.
I only need one more to complete this, and its a 440 that looks like the 420,430 style.
cwillis, pm me your address.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

I think you have a reel problem.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

No problem here Bry! ::)
You get my PM about those 114H ss sleeves?
My problem is that I need them. ;) and a 440ss! :P
You give them a good talking to before you send them. After All, You are the Reel Whisperer! ;)
Life is Good!

Aiala

Mr. Shark, I too am looking for a 440SS to complete my line-up of 420 thru 850. Why are the dang things so rare?? In any case, please let's not get into a bidding frenzy when (if) one ever becomes available! I have no self-restraint, and right now my budget can't take that kind of whack...  :P

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

Aiala,
Evidently they made 4 of those 2nd Generation ss in that style. The 420 through the 450.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSS.aspx#specs
I don't know why they are so hard to find. Give it time.
I don't get into bidding wars. There is a 430 NIB that is going for over $200 that ends tonight. That is just Crazy! :P

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

bluefish69

I looked at that 430 when it was under a $100 & I click on watch & now laugh at the price.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 02, 2014, 04:49:01 PM
There is a 430 NIB that is going for over $200 that ends tonight. That is just Crazy! :P

I know, completely insane. No wonder the bidders' identities are hidden! LOL

On the other hand, here's a very nice one for only 15.50 (at the moment): http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-430SS-HIGH-SPEED-REEL-5-1-1-RATIO-MADE-IN-THE-USA-MINT-CONDITION-/361100488550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5413442f66

Wonder how high it'll go?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

bluefish69

I'll be watching this one also. I will need a laugh this week

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Adam made some new springs for his 9500 Titanium Ratchet and Dogs. It sounds Amazing! and the new springs work Great!
The first reel is stock. The second is with Adam's kit.
Life is Good!

cwillis85

Not as impressive as Daron's collect but now I have a little piece of his collection in my own. On the left is the 9500ss I just bought, in near mint condition (now that Daron sent me a less snapped in half handle.) I have only clean and oiled and greased the reel so far but once some funds free up I will upgrade the anti-reverse and drag knob. The other is my father's old 750ss passed down to me, it will always be my favorite reel. I caught all my stripped bass and northern pike about 20 years ago on that 750ss.

One more thanks to Daron for hooking me up with the new handle and thanks to everyone else who tried to help out in locating one. Gotta love the Alan Tani family!
Chris

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

the_reel_doc

If anybody else is looking for the rubber handles for the SS series, let me know. I've got some new ones.  Got some that fit the 6500 also.