Penn SS Series

Started by Shark Hunter, October 04, 2014, 07:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 12, 2014, 05:03:31 AM
Brass or bronze gears for sure. They are usually standard with a 750. You can always cut the drags Hexagon shaped too like Sal shows. A power handle to top it off and you'll be set.
The weak link in the Handle pivot. There might be some ss replacements for that.

I saw what sal did looking good! What drag pressures are good for this reel? I just don't want to over do it. You know where I might find the ss pivot replacements?

Thanks for everything sharkhunter

Shark Hunter

They are just an idea for now. If we have enough takers. Adam might make these for us.
Penn realized the problem with the weak pivot and improved them on the 7500 and 8500 series.
I am fairly new to rebuilding these and am learning as I go along. If any of you have anything to add. please feel free to do so. There are a lot of gents that have been fishing these a lot longer than me.
Sal, Wallace, Bob, Keith and Justin to name a few would be better qualified to give you a maximum drag figure.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 12, 2014, 05:27:05 AM
They are just an idea for now. If we have enough takers. Adam might make these for us.
Penn realized the problem with the weak pivot and improved them on the 7500 and 8500 series.
I am fairly new to rebuilding these and am learning as I go along. If any of you have anything to add. please feel free to do so. There are a lot of gents that have been fishing these a lot longer than me.
Sal, Wallace, Bob, Keith and Justin to name a few would be better qualified to give you a maximum drag figure.

Thanks for the info! I really look forward to messing around with this reel!

wallacewt

ill leave this to sal
me personally i wont fish a 750 over 15lb max

basto

From what I have seen, these reels will work for a long, long time in stock form if confined to use with monofilament.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

the_reel_doc

Has anyone put the bail wire conversion on their reel? It has bearings inside the line roller. Was just wondering if it worked. Seems it would make the roller smoother and able to use braid on the reel if you really wanted to.

Shark Hunter

I haven't Larry. I used one and it just didn't feel right. Like I kept reaching for the gear shift on an automatic. ::)
Life is Good!

MFB

Hi Doc,

Fitted that mod to my 7500, I think Scott's have sold out of them now. I wanted one for my 8500 too. 

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Jerseymic

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 07, 2014, 10:44:43 PM
YES! ;D
I snagged that one in England too. It pays to have connections. ;)

Anytime my friend.

Had no idea they were hard to find.

Mike.

Shark Hunter

I was actually going to order two from Germany, but when I went to register on their website. United States is not an option.
I appreciate it Mike. What goes around, comes around! ;)
Life is Good!

Jerseymic

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 14, 2014, 02:49:36 AM
I was actually going to order two from Germany, but when I went to register on their website. United States is not an option.
I appreciate it Mike. What goes around, comes around! ;)

Pleased I could help, hope it reaches you safely.

Rancanfish

I've read thru all the posts and I have a few questions.  I do not own a single SS series reel.

1) With the short squatty spools, am I right in assuming most of these are boat reels where long casting isn't a priority?

2) Isn't a power handle almost a liability considering the size of the drags?  Some originals look like they will twist right off, to say nothing of balance.

3) Are there two metal body series and then the graphites came out?

I'll stop there because I'm just starting my second java and I have to go to work.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Shark Hunter

Randy,
There are actually 5 generations of Spinfishers. The first being the 700 series. Then the ss models with one zero, 750,650 ect. the third generation is the 00 series, 7500, 6500. As far as the graphite reels, these started in the third generation, mainly just the smaller ones. 4200 through 5500. The 6500 and up were still metal. This link will explain it better.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Spinning.aspx#SpinfisherFamily
Sure, you can't cast a 750 like a newer torque or battle, but you can get it out far enough to get into some action.
As far as the power handles. I think its more of a comfort thing. The handle and the pivot is the weakest link. if we get Adam to make us some stainless pivots. We will be all set with the power handles. The bigger reels can handle 15 pounds of drag. The 9500 at 20 lb. That's a lot for a 20 year old reel.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I received my NIB 9500ss today from Keith. Thanks Buddy! It only needs one thing. The ultimate power handle!

I have two other 9500's that need gone through. Let's do it now.
This one has the alloy gear, but it is very nice. I don't think line was ever put on it.

All put back together. Going through the drag. Cal's needed.

I have a few extra spools, I'm going through them all and replacing the Teflon washer on top with a 6-60 carbon fiber and greasing the big drag washer.

I Have this last one to go through. So many reels, so little time! ;D
It has the brass gears and is in good shape.
Life is Good!

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton