Penn SS Series

Started by Shark Hunter, October 04, 2014, 07:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Now I have five 9500's. Only one NIB thanks to Keith, I think I'm set.
All drags greased drags with Cal's. Refurbished, cleaned and new grease applied. I asked fishingreel79 if his handles were set with Loctite. He said yes.
His handles were dry as a bone. No threadlock on the screws. I took care of that and oiled the bearings with reel-x.  It made a big difference. Good to go.
Life is Good!

cwillis85

Looking good, Daron. After putting in my titanium antireverse I noticed that every three or four cranks my handle hits the bail wire, not bad but enough that it bugs me. I know it has nothing to do with the anti-reverse,  seems everytime I put the handle back on I get a slightly different position with the handle. I also have not noticed any bend in the handle you just sent so I dont think that is the problem. Is it safe to put a small washer between the handle and the sleeve to gain the tiny bit of spacing I need or is that going to put too much stress on the pivot?
Chris

the_reel_doc

Quote from: cwillis85 on November 16, 2014, 01:20:04 PM
Looking good, Daron. After putting in my titanium antireverse I noticed that every three or four cranks my handle hits the bail wire, not bad but enough that it bugs me. I know it has nothing to do with the anti-reverse,  seems everytime I put the handle back on I get a slightly different position with the handle. I also have not noticed any bend in the handle you just sent so I dont think that is the problem. Is it safe to put a small washer between the handle and the sleeve to gain the tiny bit of spacing I need or is that going to put too much stress on the pivot?

Bail wire might be bent just a little. Just bend it up just enough to clear the bump.

cwillis85

That fixed it, thanks. If i had known this was the issue I would have never broke the first handle.  ;D
Chris

handi2

Daron I see I sent you the wrong power handle. I sent the Jumbo. I'll send you one like shown on your reels.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

I'm Happy with the Jumbo! ;D
I have plans for it. I think you have went above and beyond already.
I Thank You Sir! ;)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Picked up this 650 on a whim. The pictures were fuzzy, so I was a little worried. Best $65 I ever spent. ;D Cherry! ;)
Life is Good!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

It came in the original Box with manual too! ;D
I was under the impression that when the side plate had 4:7 as my 6500, it had aluminum gears. Blows that theory out of the water! ::)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

How about $70  ;D.  I believe I mentioned it to you earlier that the ss with the two zero might have either gears. I'm thinking in the beginning they all had Brass, but towards the end they started using cast aluminum.
Scotts had plenty of brass gears for these reels a few years back, but I bought them all ;D.
You did really good on this one bud ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Rancanfish

Hey Sharky,  you gonna use that new-in-the-box?     

I have an in the box 970 and just can't bring myself to salt it up.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Shark Hunter

Probably Not. I have plenty of others to salt up. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 19, 2014, 12:37:24 AM
Hey Sharky,  you gonna use that new-in-the-box?     

I have an in the box 970 and just can't bring myself to salt it up.
Randy, I could make you a sweet trade for that 970 and you won't have to feel bad anymore ;)...just say the word.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Well now I'm curious what a sweet trade is?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.